View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #18
what_barnacles
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by TugYacht_33 View Post
best thing about the mini splits is you can have a couple different zones running off of a single main unit, and are super quiet
I put a 2 ton mini split on my boat last july/august. I am amazed at how quiet and economical it is. I will eventually buy an additional 9K btu mini for the rear berth. Both are/will be 220Vac so won t have to worry about balancing the lines.

Since my boat is a slip queen while I rework it, I simply set the outdoor piece on my flybridge. When I get to installing it permanently I will put the indoor unit inside of the flybridge and then duct it to both sides of the salon and into the forward galley. I bought a water cooled condensor to replace the ginormous air cooled one that came with it, so when I swap that out I will repackage and mount the condenser and compressor in the engine room and do the same for the little one for the rear berth.

I will say this about them. I am amazed at how quiet they are, and equally amazed at how little power it takes to run them. I have never seen the compressor take more than 8 amps at full loading and it typically draws 2 amps at night and 3 - 5 during the day. The boat came with 2 - 16k btu marine all in one units that were loud and sucked power. The mini split is sooooooo much better.

As an aside I see zero issues running them on the inverter overnight. Also Dometic and I think coleman? make marine roof tops. But be prepared to pay for therm.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote