View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
Transaxial

City: Edmonton area/Nanaimo BC
Vessel Name: Soul Fisher
Vessel Model: Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
To troubleshoot KC heating issues, you need to do a temp study underway and look at the temp of coolant entering cooler and temp returning from cooler. If cooler is undersized, return temp will be high. If flow is low, return temp will be low yet engine temp high.

And what is your criterion for overheating? How hot does engine get and where are you measuring that? Some engines run at higher temps normally.

May also be able to have a custom made pulley for the engine circ pump to raise its rpm relative to crank rpm.
Very good point about analyzing keel cooler out and return temps. My problem is the engine is getting hot to the boiling point before I can even do any testing. At 1500 rpm not in gear and tied to the dock it runs normal temp but any more load and it starts to climb. At a 1500 rpm sea trial we didn't get half a mile and the temp gauge pegged right over to 250. We were confirming this with an ir gun and do not want a repeat of that. Fortunatly the engine and head seems ok. We really have to try the old rebuilt water pump to see if I can get the temp under control for more testing. I did have a pump pulley built that raises rpm by 20%.There is more than one issue going on here and the new water pump being a dud may be another piece of the puzzle. Your statement that if flow is low, then return temp will be low yet engine temp high seems to be what is happening. This is likely a combination of too low a flow due to a poor water pump, too long a loop of all the coolers in series, and the existing keel cooler loop being too small and short for the load.

Thank you for your advice.
Transaxial is offline   Reply With Quote