Is TF still a boating forum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
Lately all we see is postings in Off the deep end. And all that ranting about Obama is getting old. Just saying.

Attachments

• untitled-1.jpg
    untitled-1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 61
That's why I still stand by the idea that we need to close that forum. Keep this a boating-only site. With four mods, we now have the manpower to control off-topic threads. (Like this one ;-) )

Fotoman wrote:Willy wrote:
Single engine or twins ?
*Loll

Or how about gas or diesel?

*Danforth or Plow?

Galley up or down.

SD

where will this end?

Europa, classic or sundeck?

For FF we could do cruiser or trawler?

Teak - Varnish, paint, au naturel, cetol?

Thrusters, bow or stern?* ;-)

Or discuss the ultimate trawler, twin engines with a get home, active fin stabilisers & a gyro unit, 2 bow thrusters and a stern thruster coupled with an articulated rudder
all packaged in a 32 ft boat so that mooring is not expensive.

If anyone knows how to attach a poll, it would be nice to put one up.* Then we could vote on our favorite subject.

I have often said*that you can tell a*person's hobby while standing in line at restaurants, etc.* The golfers are demonstrating their latest grip or*swing, tennis players are demonstrating their back swing, and the boaters*are standing there in their salt stained Top Siders discussing joker and duck bill valves.*
biggrin.gif

Moonstruck wrote:
Europa, classic or sundeck?
*HA! The only true trawler is the aft cabin, those poncing walk thru boats, don't get me started on Sundecks, stairs everywhere.

AND that mob that took up the scarcred Teak decks, traitors all!

OH.........sorry, I thought I was in OTDE

You forgot one of the hotest topics: *
confuse.gif

Carry a Gun on board? * *
cowboy.gif

* * * * * * * *or

Trust in good fortune? *
sadangel.gif

Rum or whiskey???

And to the OP, this forum is what you make it. *I don't get the feeling that it is dead except for OTDE...which is what you implied. *Like I have said from the very beginning, we modelled this forum based on other hobbies we have and the successful forums we visit. *All of those forums have an "off topic" section and guess what....those "off topic" sections are the most populars sections on those forums. *IMO, they serve as a relief valve so that crap doesn't come spilling over into the boating related sections. *Secondarily, it allows everyone to get to know each other a little better...whether like you them or not. *So while I have always thought about getting rid of it, it does serve a purpose. *If you do't like it, don't go in there. *I don't!!!!

-- Edited by Baker on Thursday 22nd of September 2011 05:02:40 PM

Baker,

If the moderators dont cruise OTDE it's gonna be like school without the teachers.

Delete the msg John* ...I'd rather they thought you were there.

I went to OTDE cuze the boating threads were getting boring.

We've talked to death most things a trawler skipper would want to discuss.

There's only one person I have a problem w on OTDE.

Some like the political party test that Walt put up was good but 95% are too bashful to play.

But OTDE IS ALIVE AND WELL w only one virus.

Baker, can we go back now?
biggrin.gif

I have seen surveys of the commercial boat community indicating that 95+% prefer single engine boats. Why? The reported reason was that modern diesels are so reliable that (assuming you have clean fuel) you don't need the expense of the second engine.

Not sure if they prefer "get-home" motors but I know one of those costs about quite a bit and you need a genset.

Fotoman wrote:
Lately all we see is postings in Off the deep end. And all that ranting about Obama is getting old. Just saying.
*I think we ought to ban all churches, QFC stores, AM/PM stores and proctologist offices. I don't go there, nobody forces me to go there, but I don't like them, so they should be banned.

Did I misinterpret what the original poster said?

How much fuel capacity do you have, what is your GPH, MPH, KPH,KPG, *$PG, $PM, Generator burn rate, Do you run your generator or not to conserve fuel, and relative to your total fuel capacity what do you feel is necessary to carry onboard? Based on the last ratio, how often do you polish and what additive do you use?
biggrin.gif
yawn.gif

Oh yeah, what is the best primary filter for your fuel polisher?

Stir the pot:

Salon* or* Saloon*********

KJ

Lest we forget,

Gasoline vs Diesel?

Or Propane reefer vs dead batteries ?

Yagoddaluvimall....yeahhhhhh....go TF............'sides...as far as OTDE is concerned...there's bound to be another pressy for yez all ta critisize afore long...?

-- Edited by Peter B on Friday 23rd of September 2011 04:33:20 AM

Funny how this tread evolved. :)

And Baker, I understand the purpose of this section and I don't go there either. My only issue really is when I come to the forum I click on my pseudo to see the last 5 posts; that's how I catch up with the latest conversations without having to click on every individual section. I get disapointed when all I see are treads in OTDE. Maybe a solution would be to show the last 10 posts?

I am involved in some other boating forums, some very actively and some for a very long time. One in particular has been going down the tubes in a big way over the last 4-6 weeks. sad to watch it and that forum literally just about HAS ceased to be much of a boating forum. OTDE does act as a pressure release valve and if it was not there, I agree with Baker that it would most likely spill over into all topics to the detriment of the forums. The good thing about OTDE is that you never have to go in there and by not going in there you can read boating advice from people that you might otherwise decide are morally corrupt due to their political or social leanings. Ignorance is sometimes bliss. :)
TF remains the best resource out there on the web for trawler and cruising needs. Plus, Baker gave me a big gold sheriff badge!

images

Woodsong wrote:
I am involved in some other boating forums, some very actively and some for a very long time. One in particular has been going down the tubes in a big way over the last 4-6 weeks. sad to watch it and that forum literally just about HAS ceased to be much of a boating forum. OTDE does act as a pressure release valve and if it was not there, I agree with Baker that it would most likely spill over into all topics to the detriment of the forums. The good thing about OTDE is that you never have to go in there and by not going in there you can read boating advice from people that you might otherwise decide are morally corrupt due to their political or social leanings. Ignorance is sometimes bliss. :)
TF remains the best resource out there on the web for trawler and cruising needs. Plus, Baker gave me a big gold sheriff badge!

images

Baker, be sure to warn us if you give Tony a bullet.
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom