Oil pan Valve and Oil Xchanger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
Just curious. I have recently installed an Oil Xchanger. I have a valve at the engine and obviously a valve on the Xchanger unit itself. My STBD side front side of the engine is difficult to get to. Just wondering if people with this setup leave the valve on the engine open leaving the valve on the unit closed and the only valve protecting the integrity of the system??? I do realize one would be allowing another failure possibility with the plumbing from the engine to the unit. But it sure would be nice not have to go upside down in the engine space every time I need to top up the oil. It is often at all...but still a PIA.

Just curious. I have recently installed an Oil Xchanger. I have a valve at the engine and obviously a valve on the Xchanger unit itself. My STBD side front side of the engine is difficult to get to. Just wondering if people with this setup leave the valve on the engine open leaving the valve on the unit closed and the only valve protecting the integrity of the system??? I do realize one would be allowing another failure possibility with the plumbing from the engine to the unit. But it sure would be nice not have to go upside down in the engine space every time I need to top up the oil. It is often at all...but still a PIA.

I installed the GROCO oil evac system 2 yrs. ago and I too had a clearance issue on one engine. For both engines and transmissions I had a set of 1/2" low pressure hydraulic hoses made up c/w proper fittings ( no barbs or gear clamps ) It all came out of the pan with a 90 deg. hydraulic hose fitting to a valve at the Oil Unit only. After 2 yrs, the catch pan under the engines is bone dry. The nice thing about using the hydraulic lines is that everything swivels as you assemble and work your way back ..... FB

All three of my engines just have a fitting on the drain pan and a good quality hose to a ball valve - then to the oil drain pump. Been this way for many years. I definitely understand that a failure in that hose could cause the engine oil to drain, but there is almost 0 pressure on it and we *do* have low oil pressure alarms.

Ken

There is some pressure on it, that’s why there are cc valves - is yours clear? Having said that, the hydraulic hoses are the best solution.

To a large degree, if the oil pressure drops to where you get an alarm, your bearings are already compromised. There is a very small space between bearing surfaces and the entire force of combustion and turning mass, it is all supported by a thin, pressurized film of oil. If the pressure drops enough to lose this film of oil, the bearings rub the rotating surface and are instantly damaged. The viscosity of the oil will support all this motion during a start but not for long if there is significant power being produced. If you get an alarm and you are quick, you may avoid enough damage to get home but its the beginning of the end (play somber music here).

You can buy 12 volt or 120 volt solenoid valves. The you only have the problem of getting to a difficult spot once. You wire them normally closed and if you shut off power to the circuit, the valves can't open when not in use. The valve is held closed by a spring.
When you buy hose, tell them it's for motor oil. Different hose material, different uses.
This 12v valve is $25 on ebay, inc. shipping.

Attachments

• 12v solenoid valve.jpg
    12v solenoid valve.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 51
Lepke great idea.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Just curious. I have recently installed an Oil Xchanger. I have a valve at the engine and obviously a valve on the Xchanger unit itself. My STBD side front side of the engine is difficult to get to. Just wondering if people with this setup leave the valve on the engine open leaving the valve on the unit closed and the only valve protecting the integrity of the system???

Our set-up only has valves on the X-Changer unit for the mains and gears. There's only another separate valve on the hose from the genset, easy enough to reach.

-Chris

My John Deere came from the factory with no valve on the oil pan. The pan has a 90 degree elbow threaded in and about 4' of hydraulic hose. I rationalized that if John Deere didn't think a valve was necessary between the hose and the pan, I could live without it also. The transmission and my generator don't have valves either. All valving is at the transfer pump.

Ted

Ok thanks guys!! Sounds like many of you trust the valve at the pump(and the hose)...and there is no reason not to. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom