Is a Camano “big enough” ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Durant F

Guru
Vessel Name
Emma B
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32/34
For the purpose of full disclosure, I admit to being a minimalist by nature and strongly feel the best boat for anyone is the smallest one suited for their intended use. (I also feel everyone should be totally honest with themselves on how they truly will use their boat)
After spending nearly 4mths living aboard a Helmsman Camano and travelling from Seattle up and throughout the Broughtons (twice), I can honestly say it is the best set of compromises for our intended use.
I single hand often and this boat is easy on and off the dock. There were several times hopping onto the dock, alone, in strong side winds that I was thankful for a reasonable displacement that I could “pull in” and tie. Shoving the bow or stern off at departures was stress free as well.
The layout works. No other way to put it. When “she who must be obeyed” was aboard, the forward facing mate’s chair was truly appreciated. She loved the efficient galley and really liked the oven as well. The fridge is bigger than my last boats and the separate large freezer compartment and door a bonus. It was easy to stock up for the 2 of us to be “away”. Helmsman has utilized space extremely well and we found abundant storage. The forward cabin is beautifully finished and the multiple lockers made the “his and hers” separation pretty painless. The hanging locker is surprisingly big and we loved the separate head-shower. Lots of less used items went under the upper settee as well as the bunk. Both of us found the boat to be extremely comfortable for a couple.
If you are going to have a lot of company, I think it could get small pretty fast, but for our use it really was near perfect. Throw in docking and the small size was more appreciated. Then....as Emma B received the big final clean up before hauling we were again thankful for it’s size. Ad in lower dock and storage fees, less bottom paint etc etc and if you plan to do extended cruising solo or as a couple, I doubt there is an easier to handle and more well thought out design available. If your going to have other couples or multiple children along...a few more feet is probably worth it.
For us, and our use, after 4mths cruising, Emma B is “just right”

Attachments

• C3B23ABC-FEE2-4D19-A36F-F1DFB551A0B2.jpeg
    C3B23ABC-FEE2-4D19-A36F-F1DFB551A0B2.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 262
We are a family of four with two small children and for now the setup works well for us. We have done many overnight and multi-night trips and it isn't too cramped for us. It really is amazing how large the v-berth is on these boats. While we use the convertable in the salon, four of us could sleep in the v-berth if needed! I appreciate the lower maintenance and smaller size of the boat... makes for great day trips. We have a full canvas enclosure on the flybridge and cockpit... great for year-round cruising but it does add a bit of windage so she likes to move around a bit more when docking/undocking. But overall nice to have the additional "living" spaces!

Attachments

• 20170124_123233.jpg
    20170124_123233.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
I looked at the Camano very closely, it is a really nice boat. I wanted to join a "cult" though, and I heard Willard owners were cult members :)

One of the reasons I went with my vessel was the difference in fuel consumption, on my budget and being almost completely retired I had the time to spend traveling so I could settle for the lower speed capability. I don't have the option to go fast, but one gallon an hour is my max fuel consumption and under a half gallon an hour is my norm.

I agree if there are more than two aboard compromises must be made, but for two active people who get off the boat and hike and kayak it's more than adequate. Single handing 30' is almost perfect, you can do it all yourself with minimal steps between bow and helm, stern and helm, as well as dock and helm.

If I regularly had guests, 30' would feel too small...

For two people. If I want to have friends spend more than a night or two aboard, a real second stateroom is a necessity for me.

Bingo. If we were to take people out with us for photography trips, we’d need a bigger boat. At this stage in our lives we have no desire to make a business out of it, so 30’ is plenty of boat for our needs.

Having our daughter and one of her friends for long weekend trips hasn’t been a problem; they get the forward berth and we take the saloon table/bed. Hardly a hardship.

Then again, if a Transpacific Eagle 40 came around at the right time...

Last edited:
Loving this dialogue lads!
I’m not the only crazy one ��

Doug....that’s why I went with a much lower HP John Deere.... slow, steady and frugal wins the race!

Murray...I’ve had friends visit for short periods and the dinette does make a great extra berth!

For two people. If I want to have friends spend more than a night or two aboard, a real second stateroom is a necessity for me.

So is this the definition of a yacht? ... over 30’?

That's not possible... I have a plaque that says...

Attachments

• IMG_3075.jpg
    IMG_3075.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 180
2 anchors is it......

Attachments

• 51C04B9A-5FC6-413F-9B1B-F5467A7A2DA4.jpeg
    51C04B9A-5FC6-413F-9B1B-F5467A7A2DA4.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 160
The answer is clearly if it meets your needs it's big enough. You're the perfect customer for it. There is no right or wrong boat, just what is right or wrong for you.

A yacht is any boat bigger than mine.

A yacht is any non-commercial boat big enough to carry a boat.

This thread is going to be fun!! Enjoy you guys in the larger 30 footers.

Al-Ketchikan, (The smaller guy-27')

Yes, but we need to factor in the type of anchor.:)

Bruce, don't start trouble. You know that no matter what anchor you have, someone will say it's the wrong one and off we go again.

Speaking of camanos being a great couples boat (providing they have 2 anchors)(of exceptable weight and design as well) has anyone seen a Maple Bay 27? I was lucky enough to be aboard one for a tour a few years ago. What a pretty, classic looking and extremely livable smaller boat. Only a few were built and long out of production now. No flybridge tho.. I’ve truly gotten to enjoy the flybridge on sunny days.

DF,
Pulled into Point Baker on the no end of Prince of Wales Is and there one was. Just ahead of us on the float. Had seen one for sale in Fri Hbr a year or two before. Thought it was the perfect boat until I got my hands on a Willard. They burn half the fuel as a Willard but who cares .. it’s such a small amount. A looper would .. maybe. I think they have a 27hp Yanmar. They are narrow and round and I’m sure roll much more than the Willard. They are almost a sailboat conversion completed at birth day. I doubt there are any on the right coast.

There are several great smaller designs. The Willard, in its multiple variations is certainly one. As to an “in production” design, I honestly can’t think of a better lay out or nicer finished small “yacht” than the Helmsman Camano.
I designed and built homes all my life. Anyone can draw “big”... The magic happens when you can make a smaller plan really work.

The modifier that cant be answered is "enough".

Enough for what?

How many people buy homes, then upsize, then dowsize?

How may unattached garages built with no cars but plenty of stuff in them?

Till you are sure of what you want to do with or keep on the boat, the question is unanswerable by anyone.

Not trying to be difficult, but without a lengthy list of must haves in terms of boat and bring alongs and durations and locations of trips...all you are getting is whether someone is satisfied "their" thoughts the boat is big enough, not yours.

So is this the definition of a yacht? ... over 30’?

Most owners' of large boats call them boats.
Those who insist on calling their boat a yacht either have a ego problem or a short line.

I call my A/T34 my little bitty boat.
Interestingly, my 2008 A/T is documented as a 34ft. If I bought a new one, it would be documented as a 36ft. NOW, have to include the swim platform on OAL. LOL

My second stateroom is provided by using the swim platform and lots of duck tape.

Our Cape Dory 28 has proven to be the perfect boat for the two of us and how we use it.
That, and the fact that it cost less than a new pick-up truck is a real sweet spot. Sure I'd like an American Tug 34, but for now (and the past 3 years) we've been happy as clams on our compact "Trawler"..Just the right combination of indoor and outdoor space and all the "Big" boat goodies to make it all work well. Now that it's 1/2 mile from the house, it's no big deal to do a several hour afternoon cruise or leave for a week with minimal effort..

2v29KmjVyx3cYB.jpg

2v29ai79dx3cYB.jpg

Last edited:
Our Cape Dory 28 has proven to be the perfect boat for the two of us and how we use it.
That, and the fact that it cost less than a new pick-up truck is a real sweet spot. Sure I'd like an American Tug 34, but for now (and the past 3 years) we've been happy as clams on our compact "Trawler"..Just the right combination of indoor and outdoor space and all the "Big" boat goodies to make it all work well.

2v29KmjVyx3cYB.jpg

2v29ai79dx3cYB.jpg

Yup, looks good. Stay with it. It has a good size cockpit too. Can you can trailer that boat too?

As usual...a perfect boat for a perfect situation.

I love that boat too.

Used to live on a 30 foot Cape Dory Ketch.

But anyone that thinks they can live on a boat less than 40 feet and cruise year round, with typical amenities, and everything for 2 persons hobbies, cruising essentials, extras for those weeks out of populated areas, etc.....good luck....I have been living aboard on 3 different boats on and off since 1982 and each one has been bigger and yet till too small. 30 foot sailboat, 37 foot sportfish and now a small 40 foot trawler.

Can be done? Sure, people do the loop on jet skis and kayaks.....have fun....not for me once I passed about 55 years of age.

Last edited:
Yup, looks good. Stay with it. It has a good size cockpit too. Can you can trailer that boat too?

Yup...I think we're gonna hold on this one. Not really trailerable (16' air height with the radar) but no desire to do that anyway..

2v29ufiA4x3cYB.jpg

Last edited:
As usual...a perfect boat for a perfect situation.

I love that boat too.

Used to live on a 30 foot Cape Dory Ketch.

But anyone that thinks they can live on a boat less than 40 feet and cruise year round, with typical amenities, and everything for 2 persons hobbies, cruising essentials, extras for those weeks out of populated areas, etc.....good luck....I have been living aboard on 3 different boats on and off since 1982 and each one has been bigger and yet till too small. 30 foot sailboat, 37 foot sportfish and now a small 40 foot trawler.

Can be done? Sure, people do the loop on jet skis and kayaks.....have fun....not for me once I passed about 55 years of age.

Wifey B: It's like the tiny house trend or fad. I say both because which it is, is to be determined. What percentage will stay with them and how long? What will be the resale market? :ermm:

Huge difference between what I could do and what I would want to do. I look at some things and think "oh how cute." :) Quickly then followed by a "H... no." :nonono:

On the other hand we're in the country of the huge house compared to the rest of the world. I'm guilty. However, if one can easily afford it, no big deal. Where it bothers me is young couple with one or two kids and they put themselves so deeply in debt going after a 2500 sq ft home when in most places they'd be in a 1200 sq ft home and not in nearly the financial struggle.

Last edited:
I still think the Camano is a perfect boat for 2 people. We had ours for 9 years and would still have it if not for the screaming deal we got on the Mainship. One big advantage is the cost when visiting marinas. We tend to anchor a lot when out and got a bit of a shock the first time we stayed at Friday Harbor. Almost twice the price of the Camano. By the way, if you don't count the anchor and swimstep, the Camano is really only 28 feet long. Marketing made it the "Camano 31."

Okay, I know we are partial to our boat and well we should be. In that frame of mind, here is a full advertisement for a sister boat to ours. Mind you now, this is a 27 foot boat. While the interior is somewhat different, the full concept of the boat is correct.
In full agreement with the OP, for two the boat conforms to the adage, "Sleep two, eat four, drink six".

1978 Marben Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser Title

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom