Countertops in Anacortes WA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi,
Time for one of the final items in my retrofit of my Krogen 54, new countertops. Does anyone have any recommendations for companies or individuals around Anacortes who do that type of work? Currently thinking corian.

Thanks!
Arthur

I don’t have a recommendation for contractor.

Have you had experience with corian before? My experience was not good. Now I only use quartz. That does not mean it’s right or wrong for you.

Interesting, what issues did you have? I thought they were the standard for newer high end galleys.
I’m pretty open on material.
Also thoughts on having a marine place do it versus a kitchen shop?

Not in an Anacortes, but Bellingham....Spectrum Surfaces is their handle. I did my countertops in Corian, and I like it. Turned out great in the galley and two heads.

My experience with corian was that it scratched to easy and looked like plastic but that was a long time ago. Since then I have only used quartz as I find granite to much work to care fore.

"My experience with corian was that it scratched to easy and looked like plastic but that was a long time ago. Since then I have only used quartz as I find granite to much work to care for."

+1

I have Corian in my Motorhome, Quartz at home and in my boat. Big difference in appearance, little difference in care required or in initial cost.

Thanks everyone, I’ll start looking at quartz as well, still have a few weeks before she leaves the yard here in Seattle.

For those of you with quartz how did you do a marine edge? (The edge so stuff doesn’t fall off) did you use teak trim or do it in quartz? If anyone has any pictures that would be much appreciated.

We did corian counters and have been real happy but we’ve never had quartz or granite so I can’t comment on the durability. The big decider for us was what would have been the number of seams with a solid counter top. Because we have and L shaped overhang, a solid piece couldn’t be installed under it. There was no way to slide it in even with one seam. As it was, it took 3 pieces of corian to do the lower counter but the seams disappear when properly installed.

Attachments

• 3EB97D3A-1A81-43FC-9CBA-F8E412E6867D.jpg
    3EB97D3A-1A81-43FC-9CBA-F8E412E6867D.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 9DF88758-D700-4365-9322-83F36D206C7E.jpg
    9DF88758-D700-4365-9322-83F36D206C7E.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 63
Arthur: You asked about the fiddles. We replaced the fiddles and replicated the original ones. We couldn’t use the old teak fiddles since the counters were now 1/2” thicker.

Attachments

• 7A0197A5-346C-4B88-9765-2FFC70B810B3.jpg
    7A0197A5-346C-4B88-9765-2FFC70B810B3.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 48075CCC-4A20-48EC-892A-23C9270A9445.jpg
    48075CCC-4A20-48EC-892A-23C9270A9445.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 73
Art
Good to see the progress is ongoing. Talk with guys at North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes. They have some good interior finishing guys. Have you considered Port Townsend area for cabinetry?

Thanks Larry, Galley looks great.

Sunchaser,
I haven’t actually looked at PT but that’s a good idea. Getting really excited to have her done and ended up going a little overboard...
Complete engine/trans/shaft swap for a new 6068 JD
NL 12KW Genset
Stern Thruster and integrated all the trusted controls
All new windows
A bunch of new electronics such as a second furuno radar, tzt12s, rear mounted transponder, and got everything into a single nmea 2000 backbone including engine info which all outputs to TCP.

Hoping for the sea trail on Monday then will bring her up to anacortes later this month.

AC

Last edited:
Art
Good to see the progress is ongoing. Talk with guys at North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes. They have some good interior finishing guys. Have you considered Port Townsend area for cabinetry?

I don't know anything about the interior work at North Harbor, but I had mechanical and electrical work done there five years ago that was shoddy and not ABYC compliant. FYI.

Find someone in Seattle. The stone supply houses are all there. In PT you pay someone to go get it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom