Where to find boat adverts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haylands

Vessel Name
Barefoot Lady
Vessel Make
1976 Hatteras 42LRC Mk1
Hi,

As some of you will have seen we are looking for a trawler, we are coming to Florida from the UK in January to look at boats,

I am constantly looking on

Boats for Sale - New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com
www.popyachts.com
USauctions - Online Boat Auctions of Salvaged, Distressed and Liquidation Vessels
www.craigslist.org
www.eBay.com
Boats for Sale - Buy Boats, Sell Boats, Boating Resources, Boat Dealers, Parts and Accessories - BoatTrader.com
boats.com - new and used boats for sale #everythingboats
Home - Marine Trawler Owners Association
and Trawler Boats for Sale Facebook page, and here of course....

Does anyone know of any other resources that would be useful, Where do private sellers advertise if they don't use a broker and get on yachtworld...??

Thanks..

I think that your list pretty well covers the waterfront. FWIW most boats of $100K+ are listed on Yachtworld. Maybe 10-20% in that price range are listed on the others. But under $50K it is about half and half.

David

I don't know what price range you're looking in but most of the nicer boats are going to be listed with brokers. You can't look from long distance. You need to find a good South Florida broker and have them use your requirements to identify boats to show you when you're here.

Are you truly looking for a salvage boat? I guess we need to know more about what you're looking for.

Yep, they are both on the list. TF was acting strange when I was reading the post. Don’t think I got the whole post first time.

I don't know what price range you're looking in but most of the nicer boats are going to be listed with brokers. You can't look from long distance. You need to find a good South Florida broker and have them use your requirements to identify boats to show you when you're here.

Are you truly looking for a salvage boat? I guess we need to know more about what you're looking for.

We have a modest $100,000 budget for the boat then a further amount for necessary repairs/upgrades/aggressive servicing. I have tried two brokers and they both just send me listings on yachtworld.com and ask me if it's OK... I can do that myself, they didn't seem to bring anything to the party...!!! Maybe my budget isn't enough to get them to do something

We want a full or semi displacement single or twin small naturally aspirated diesels with manual pumps, full walk around decks, galley up, 2 to 3 staterooms and preferably stairs instead of ladders... Something seaworthy, old and with character, and can be fixed without the use of a laptop...!!!

I am looking at salvage as I don't mind some work and there are some lightly damaged ones around.... If the boat we buy is fully sorted, I'll get bored...!!!

Yep, they are both on the list. TF was acting strange when I was reading the post. Don’t think I got the whole post first time.

That does happen, thanks for posting anyway....

We have a modest $100,000 budget for the boat then a further amount for necessary repairs/upgrades/aggressive servicing. I have tried two brokers and they both just send me listings on yachtworld.com and ask me if it's OK... I can do that myself, they didn't seem to bring anything to the party...!!! Maybe my budget isn't enough to get them to do something

We want a full or semi displacement single or twin small naturally aspirated diesels with manual pumps, full walk around decks, galley up, 2 to 3 staterooms and preferably stairs instead of ladders... Something seaworthy, old and with character, and can be fixed without the use of a laptop...!!!

I am looking at salvage as I don't mind some work and there are some lightly damaged ones around.... If the boat we buy is fully sorted, I'll get bored...!!!

That does happen, thanks for posting anyway....

Well, in the $100k price range, I'm back to my original recommendation of a buyer's broker. You need research and homework done before you arrive.

Our marine trader was listed on Craigslist (Fort Myers) it was up in Tampa bay.
There are also listings over on the east coast, so it covers a large area.
Now we did look for over two years to find the right one for us.
You do need to pick up a lot of rocks before you find a diamond.

A bit hard for him to do from Yorkshire, isn't it?

Well, in the $100k price range, I'm back to my original recommendation of a buyer's broker. You need research and homework done before you arrive.

We came over to look at boats in 2016 to decide if we wanted a Cat, sail boat or Motor boat and had a broker then who showed us several boats, one had been tied to the dock just after Noah sighted land and had a rats nest on the bed in the master stateroom... Even if we had been in the market, none of the boats he showed us were worth buying. I ended up making calls to look at boats myself and if a broker was involved they knew little about the boat, showed unprepared boats and all in all were a bit of a waste of time... I understand that there are good and bad in all areas and do realise there are some good hard working brokers and agree it would be nice to have someone else do some homework on suitable boats but until we know what make/model of boat will "fit" us it would be a long list of boats and I think this puts brokers off when I speak to them... So we have decided to look at as many as we can as early as we can to get some idea of which boats will suit us, then spend time/miles/dollars to look at as many of them as we can... I'm 6'5" not slim! and broke my back some years ago, I was a few mm's away from paralysis, but they managed to screw me back together. I have permenant nerve damage down one leg, this led to two new hips and a new knee in the last few years, I am now better than I have been for several years and this dream is a reality if we get the right boat, there is nothing I can't do, I just do it a "different" way to most, so explaining to brokers what we need is just about impossible... I won't say we won't use one but I think we need to know more... Nothing's ever easy is it...!!!!!

I don't mind a rock if the price reflects it...

A bit hard for him to do from Yorkshire, isn't it?

Everything is hard to do from Yorkshire when it's near freezing here.... can't wait to get away from this incessant cold which seizes up my old and new joints...!!!

Florida Mariner is a free add paper that also has everything on line.

It is a better place to look for lower price boats where the cost of a broker is hard to build in.

It is also the place for a boat that may require fixing up, as most brokers wont bother with those.

Soundings , also has on line listings , tho probably of higher pricedboats.

Good hunting!

Florida Mariner is a free add paper that also has everything on line.

It is a better place to look for lower price boats where the cost of a broker is hard to build in.

It is also the place for a boat that may require fixing up, as most brokers wont bother with those.

Soundings , also has on line listings , tho probably of higher pricedboats.

Good hunting!

I forgot the Florida Mariner, I do get their mag emailed every month... I'll check out Soundings as well..... Thanks...:thumb:

Hayland.

You want to have a look at popyachts.com. A number of vessels in your price range Mate.

Cheers.

H.

So your budget is $100K but what are your requirements or desires?

Usually, there is an ample supply of 1990's chlorox boats up to 40' (Sea Ray, Carver, Silverton, Bayliner, Magnum, etc) available in the high $90s low $100s. We had a TF member who sold a 35' Carver with twin Cummings for under $80K if I recall.

So your budget is $100K but what are your requirements or desires?

Usually, there is an ample supply of 1990's chlorox boats up to 40' (Sea Ray, Carver, Silverton, Bayliner, Magnum, etc) available in the high $90s low $100s. We had a TF member who sold a 35' Carver with twin Cummings for under $80K if I recall.

Sorry, I was just asking for places to look so didn't fill in my requirements...

Full or semi displacement, single or twin naturally aspirated small diesels with manual pump, full walkaround decks, raised gunnels, not flushdeck, galley up 2-3 staterooms, 45ft minimum, doesn't have to be mint and sorted but not a project...... Cheers

Craigslist? The guy wants to buy a boat not a hooker. SMIRK

It's a good source for boats at the cheaper end of the market (and luckily some do come with hookers...!!)

I see Pop Yachts as a giant brokerage listing scam.

I recently bought a boat in Greece which was advertised through a broker and I have to say never again. I found the boat searching on the internet and I knew immediately subject to inspection and agreement on price it was just what I was looking for. Going to see the boat involved a 50 minute international flight, car hire and almost 1,000 Km round road trip from Athens airport. To make the trip worth while I lined up another few boats to look at as well at different places along the way. I made my plans and contacted the broker for the boat I was particularly interested in and I got crap about how busy he was and I should have got his confirmation before I booked my flights. I gave him a range of 3 days Fri/Sat/Sun and it was only with a lot of pushing he agreed to meet me on the Sat - actually he didn't meet me it was a girl from his office with limited enough knowledge. I saw the boat, the owner took me for a short trip and I ended up making an offer a couple of days later and buying the boat. I saw 3 other boats while I was in Greece another one via a broker and 2 direct from owners. The broker put me off completely with a load of crap about how the procedure would have to operate whereas the 2 owners were extremely accommodating but their boats just weren't what I was after. This is my 4th boat and the 1st time through a broker and I have sold 3 [last 1 today yippee] and never used a broker. Apart from knowing where to advertise brokers are a waste of money imo and can often be a hindrance. I've bought and sold from Boats for sale, used boats, new boat sales, free photo ads - Apollo Duck and found it really good.

Sorry, I was just asking for places to look so didn't fill in my requirements...

Full or semi displacement, single or twin naturally aspirated small diesels with manual pump, full walkaround decks, raised gunnels, not flushdeck, galley up 2-3 staterooms, 45ft minimum, doesn't have to be mint and sorted but not a project...... Cheers

This great Lyman Morse 48 boat when it came to sale last spring was about 100,000 € for some reason the price was raised up 159000€. I could imagine the owner willing to negotiate. In the US market this boat's price would be many more, I guess because Lyman Morse's esteemed is the on off boat(unik) builder. For me this was too high bridge clearance so I looked at other boats and found my Nordic Tug.

https://www.devalk.nl/en/yachtbrokerage/501017/LYMAN-MORSE-48.html

5433956_20151031051730867_1_XLARGE_151221_162109.jpg

I can not see that you could find us more economical for boats if you bring the EU. You pay freight, customs, tax, CE certificate and, in addition, different direct electrical systems. Many US boats that are not well known in the EU and prices can therefore be really low and those electricians comply with EU standards, have you investigated Trawler boats on the EU market?

NBs

Last edited:
I see Pop Yachts as a giant brokerage listing scam.

I tend to agree. Had my 26-footer on Craigslist, and popyachts kept sending me offers to list my boat. Repetitive annoying phone calls too. Have read stories about crappy or at least ineffective work on their part. Don't remember the details exactly, but the stories included strong recommendations not to use them.

The impression I recall having was that they were basically trying to get in the middle between me and the buyer, and take a cut without doing much of anything.

I tend to agree. Had my 26-footer on Craigslist, and popyachts kept sending me offers to list my boat. Repetitive annoying phone calls too. Have read stories about crappy or at least ineffective work on their part. Don't remember the details exactly, but the stories included strong recommendations not to use them.

The impression I recall having was that they were basically trying to get in the middle between me and the buyer, and take a cut without doing much of anything.

Yes. They troll a lot of other sites looking for listings. They promise to list the boat higher than your asking price so you don’t lose money in brokerage fees. How that helps, I was unable to figure out. I have heard some good stories of people selling and buying from them, but the majority was bad. It’s like they are only trying to drive traffic to the site and not put any effort into selling boats. I don’t trust them.

Back
Top Bottom