View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #36
boomerang
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
OK, so with my wife out for a Saturday morning walk I sat down & researched the lights I was *thinking* of purchasing to surprise her.
Lumitec seemed like a basic entry-level place to start. I wanted multi-colored & found their mini led was just under $130 my wholesale cost. OK not the brightest in the world but they'd be good enough for us so I'm up to $260 for a pair. Not bad. Then I read they are made of aluminum & had to be painted with special paint nor could they be within 1" of conventional copper paint. OK...seems like a bit of a PITA with more paint to buy so I looked at bronze-cased models. The Lumitec SeaBlaze with bronze housing 2-color is $275 my cost (X 2=$550...I'm getting less enamored with this project now...) & the Seablaze bronze multi...$575 each! Now I've offically thrown in the towel on that route.
The Attwoods & Perkos are absolutely too rinky-dink to be mounted in the hull of a boat that I depend on to keep me above the water so I'm leaning towards ,as some have suggested, either building some sort of a remotely mounted bracket to mount the less-expensive lights on & then fasten said bracket to my hull with a method I'm comfortable with or better yet & more than likely, buy a floating underwater light & chunk the damn thing over to watch when we're anchored.
I absolutely do not skimp on quality when it comes to upgrading important stuff but underwater lights are just fluff & glitter (IMO) & the $1000 could be better spent elsewhere!
I'll find something else equally romantic to buy my wife that's still practical...like maybe a new set of tires for her car!
Just kidding.
They still have plenty of tread left on them...