Blue-light specials

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danderer

Guru
Vessel Name
Infinity
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 48
This got me thinking:

IMHO there too many lights on the water already with everybody lighting up their docks & houses (a HUGE peeve of mine but that's a rant for another thread). When we anchor out for the evening we try to find a spot with no invasive lights so as to enjoy the natural evening light that nature provides.

I'm seeing more and more boats around here decked out with blue 'accent' lighting. In the cockpit. On the foredeck. Around the swim platform. Around the deckhouse. Underwater.

I guess this is just a fashion. But why blue?

Now I have seen a couple bigger boats where the colors rotate through the spectrum.. yeah.

At least with blue we don’t have to worry about it being nav lights

We used it originally for fishing at night for snapper . It didn't affect your vision at night like white light . But now I think its more about fashion . While Fishing in Stuart a few years back and a big sport fish came in at night and he must of had 20 under water all around the boat , looked like he was floating .Pretty impressive ,

This got me thinking:

I'm seeing more and more boats around here decked out with blue 'accent' lighting. In the cockpit. On the foredeck. Around the swim platform. Around the deckhouse. Underwater.

I guess this is just a fashion. But why blue?

Harder for the druggies to find a vein.

Yeah, the whole underwater lighting thing has become cool with the sportfish guys. There is some debate that colored lights attract more or different fish.

Personally, as a fisherman, I think it's just something else for them to spend their money on. Everything is a contest for those guys, as we speak some huge battlewagon out there is probably rigging enough neon colored lights to rival the sun. Anything to make their you know what look bigger. :)

T But why blue?

Because they really only come in Blue, Red or White. Everyone has white.

Our last boat had Red, White or Blue LED's in the cockpit. For loading and unloading and anytime you needed to SEE, then white. For just sitting around, we preferred the red lights.

We just weren't crazy about the blue. However, everyone else that saw they could go blue always asked why we don't choose blue.

To us the blue was very, very cold and bright. Red was relaxing and we wouldn't loose our night vision.

Since we've crossed over to the dark side, and are now in a NJ marina where all the other larger boats have blue decorative LEDs, I guess we're gonna' have to get some.

Because the blue color is a soothing one (is it the right term?).

L

Red lights are for ladies of the night.
Blue lights are for swingers.
Sydney once had a city street level Clinic marked by a blue light outside. Known as "the blue light clinic" it was rumored to treat diseases some ladies of the night, their customers, and doubtless others, might contract. No, I never visited, but blue light = red light.

Back
Top Bottom