LarryM
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Our lifelines are 43 years old.
They are fine and never even thought of replacing them.
I read an anchor rode cable should be replace at times due to seawater corrosion but life lines are vinyl covered.
Eric,

Lifelines and Rigging has an excellent Inspection Checklist that provides inspection schedules and average lifespans of lifelines and rigging. Your vinyl-covered swaged lifelines are exactly what they address.

I've taken the liberty of including some photos from their site to illustrate this.

I have personally seen a 200 pound man working the foredeck of a sailboat go right through a lifeline as if it weren't even there. It was only 10 years old and was inspected before every race. We later found a hairline crack in a swaged terminal had let go. And, that is not the only time I have seen lifelines fail.

So, in addition to any rusted wire, clean and carefully inspect all of the swaged lifeline terminals and fittings.

Please take a look at the checklist and recommendations for guidance from rigging professionals. IMO, there is no room for guesswork or compromise when it comes to safety equipment, and you operate in cold water where this is doubly important.

OK, I'm climbing down from my soapbox now