Raw Water Strainer Elbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think what you have is a 1" strainer. The pipe size you are measuring, 1-3/8", is very close to the OD of 1" pipe.
1-3/8" = 1.375"
1" pipe OD = 1.315

If the ID of your hose is 1-1/8" then you need a Groco FFC-1125.
This is an elbow with 1" male pipe thread on one end and is sized for 1-1/8" hose id on the other.
https://www.groco.net/products/fittings/pipe-to-hose-elbows/ffc-series-npt-full-flow

Check the ID of the hose, 1-1/8 sounds strange to me.

Just an example.
Check out Wonderhose. It is available in many different I.D.s including 1-1/8".
In my raw water system I use 1-7/8" I.D.

RUBCO Marine and Industrial Hose> Products

Didn't look to see if it is suitable for coolant use though. You will have to ask about A/f and the temperature. They list 240oF as max so be sure.

Question: How can you tell when a piece of equipment has exceeded it’s designed life cycle?

Answer: When that piece of equipment looks like this............
View attachment 68964

Why? Because the bronze has a patina and looks bad? I have 4 of these and another slightly smaller SVS750. What I learned is that Groco has all the parts to rebuild these...except for the rubber plug in the attached seacock. That is the key to these. If that is still good then give it a light sanding, lube it up and off you go. The gasket rebuild kits are $25 and a new wingnut for one was $17. That's what I am doing and glad I am as these are $500 or so apiece. I guess I could shine them up and put on a coat of clear lacquer to help with the pretty for a while. Seems like the patina can be a good indicator thatsomething is leaking even if only slightly. I think lacquer would prevent that. My theory at least!

Why? Because the bronze has a patina and looks bad? I have 4 of these and another slightly smaller SVS750. What I learned is that Groco has all the parts to rebuild these...except for the rubber plug in the attached seacock. That is the key to these. If that is still good then give it a light sanding, lube it up and off you go. The gasket rebuild kits are $25 and a new wingnut for one was $17. That's what I am doing and glad I am as these are $500 or so apiece. I guess I could shine them up and put on a coat of clear lacquer to help with the pretty for a while. Seems like the patina can be a good indicator thatsomething is leaking even if only slightly. I think lacquer would prevent that. My theory at least!

In my case it was the plywood backing plates that were soggy and leaking that drove my decision to replace all 13 of the underwater through hulls and seacocks. When I got them apart, the through hulls and seacocks had different threads and some were only connected by a few threads. Also, the only things holding the seacocks in place we’re the though hull threads and some mastic; no through hull bolts. The rubber plug seacocks were probably recoverable, but I couldn't rationalize going back with 30-year-old hardware once I had them out.

Given all that I would agree. I am pulling boat next week and am looking closely at the same situation. I guess I am lucky, or at least think I am at this point, as my backing plates seem to be rock solid. With the exception of one seacock/strainer which has other issues. If I do have to go back to square one and put in new backing plates I will most likely pop for all new strainers and seacocks. I think I am lucky as my boat spent 26 of its 30 years being pulled and on the hard for 8-9 months a year up north. That helped it age gracefully and without some of the hard use issues I saw on boats kept in more temperate climates i.e South Florida. Huge difference all around.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom