Awesome video of the USCG on the Columbia River Bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is great!!! Looks like a lot of fun. I have driven a 47', but not in conditions like that.

Those are some thick swells. A good recruiting movie for 18 year olds. Sign me up.

How does that radar keep turning when they're rolling over?

O-rings. Monkey ****.

I like the almost backflip where the bow is up about 80 degrees (3:20). My mind wanders to question how the diesel oil pumps keep the bearings from becoming toast at those angles!

Last edited:
I was interested in the way the pilot operated the engine controls.

I think I was out there this year when they filmed it! Or at least that was the way it looked to me.....NEVER EVER cross on an ebb......

Great fun!
Now, to put a placid looking cruiser topside onto one of those competent hulls...

Need an interested lottery winner...

RB

Helped a guy take his 43’ Mason from Portland to Long Beach California. The morning we crossed the Columbia River bar I told him to wait for the flood tide. He was in a hurry and crossed an hour before slack low tide. Leaving Astoria just before sunrise the entire river was as flat as a glass mirror. As we made the final turn to SW the waves were 6-7’ and only 75’ a part. The captain was so sick he threw up for the next 18 hours until we got to Newport. Never cross on an ebb tide.

I'd give my left one to take a ride on a USCG boat on a day like that. What a kick arse ride it would be.

Thanks Tom!

Except for the cresting waves, that's what happens on the eastern (down-wind end) of Suisun Bay when winds counter an opposing tide: steep, five-foot, quick-succession waves that nearly bury my boat's bow and sends spray over the entire boat.

It would have been educational to have observed the helmsman make throttle adjustments.

Last edited:
They couldn't give those guys in inside helm station ???

There is a lower station on the 47s, just most dont like operating from there.

Poor Mark will never understand that, particularly when the boat rolls over.

From Wikipedia.....

"Employing "fly-by-wire" control systems,[8] the boat can be operated from four different locations: two from the enclosed bridge, and two amidships from an open bridge.[3]"

Last edited:
There is a CG school at the Columbia that trains for surf conditions. Fly Wright is correct ...they are pros. See the film "the finest hour" ;" they have to go out, but they don't have to come back"

The right side bar lists a number of videos by Drone Guy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom