Expanded Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:Thanx: Mine checked okay.

Wow.....all 7 of mine were on the list, a couple old ones from 2001 to the 4 from 2016 and 2017.

The list suggested every boat extinguisher with plastic handles.

How did yours escape?

What a PIA as the website looms slow and you cant get through on the phone.....plus shipping will be nuts on 7 extinguishers....hope they let me go through a local dealer.

I won't be able to check mine until May. Maybe things will be settled down by then.

I just got off the phone which Kidde. We have 3 that are recalled. They will send replacements within 15-20 days and instructions on what to do with the old ones. I gave them the model #, s/ns and a mailing address. They gave me a case number if we have any questions but no email confirmation. The call took 9 minutes. It was pretty painless, for me anyway. I wouldn’t want to be owning any Kidde stock right now.

Thanks, being on the road isnt helping me on this one for them to catch up.

Two of my three we’re on the recall list. I went to the website and filled in the information. At the end of the process they said they would be sending replacements to my home address in the next 15 to 20 days. Of course the problem is I won’t be home in Virginia in 15 to 20 days but in Vero Beach. I wish they had told us at the beginning but the process was so I could have had it sent to the Vero Beach Marina.

Two of my three we’re on the recall list. I went to the website and filled in the information. At the end of the process they said they would be sending replacements to my home address in the next 15 to 20 days. Of course the problem is I won’t be home in Virginia in 15 to 20 days but in Vero Beach. I wish they had told us at the beginning but the process was so I could have had it sent to the Vero Beach Marina.

Did the website let you list 2 at a whack or the whole process twice?

When I started, it looked like one at a time which I refuse to do 7 times....I will just wait on the phone.

I am going to try and see if I can swap at a dealer someplace as their issue has become a bigger issue of mine.

I was able to do all four of mine at one time on the web site, a little clunky as I had to do a new search for each one. I wonder how they can ship out 30 to 40 million replacements in two to three weeks.... the recall goes back to 1973....

...I am going to try and see if I can swap at a dealer someplace as their issue has become a bigger issue of mine.

I asked what to do with the old ones. The guy on the line said instructions will come with the replacements. I bet Kidde is still trying to figure that part out.

I just called and they are replacing all 6 of that type on my boat. Pretty easy to do.

I asked what to do with the old ones. The guy on the line said instructions will come with the replacements. I bet Kidde is still trying to figure that part out.

I once left a large un-certifiable Halon bottle outside the local fire station in the middle of the night. Couldn't sell it (couldn't ship it to anyone without a hazardous material permit), couldn't give it away and did not want to put it into a dumpster.

So...I too wonder what Kidde is going to do.

I finally got the website to respond this afternoon and have two new ones on the way.

Considering the amount of powder in 34+ million extinguishers it is probably cost-effective for them to collect them all and reuse the powder. Regardless, what ever they want to do with these four recalled bottles is entirely up to them. Luckily these are not the only extinguishers I have on board. The rest have metal handles.

Marty.....................

Please forgive the drift, but whether or not your extinguishers are included in the recall, if they are powder type as the recalled models seem to be, check for the powder packing itself solid. The pressure gauge will still read ok, but the solid powder won`t eject when operated.
Powder types need routinely removing from their brackets and shaking the powder to keep it usable. If anyone has better thoughts on maintenance please publish.

Someone not too long ago posted new powder doesnt pack....

Would love to see a link to confirm that.

Busy researching other TF myths. :)

Someone not too long ago posted new powder doesnt pack....

Would love to see a link to confirm that.

Busy researching other TF myths. :)
I`d like to see that too.
Years ago fellow car rally competitors had a fire, only way to use it was to smash the extinguisher body and throw handfuls of powder on the fire. It`s a real danger most don`t pick up on, misled by the gauge reading ok.

Yep...as posted, love to see lots of support that powder after a certain date doesnt pack.

Till then, I still whack them and let them sit upside down when not cruising.

...Till then, I still whack them and let them sit upside down when not cruising.

:thumb: I was taught to “shake it” and use a rubber mallet against the sides while inverted annually to make sure the powder hasn’t caked. I usually blow off our expired extinguishers, sometimes with fire for practice but if for nothing else to see if they work as advertised. No failures yet, thankfully. What a mess though. :)

I had always promoted shaking the extinguisher upside down to break up the powder. As a Vesel Examiner, we are now told not to recommend that. I don't know just when this occurred since I was inactive for quite a few years as a VE. But currently it is not recommended. They say there are anti caking chemicals added not to prevent it from happening.

Proof is in the white paper.

After 23 years in and anotherv15 in close consult with the USCG...I wiuld like to see something in writing.

From page 3-17 of the Vessel Safety Check Manual COMDTINST M16796.8A

(3) Testing dry chemical extinguishers by holding the fire extinguisher inverted and solidly hitting the base of the extinguisher with the palm of the hand several times is no longer an acceptable practice, possibly resulting in clogging the discharge tube. Additionally, the use of flowing and anti-caking agents has eliminated the problem with caked powder, eliminating the need to rotate the fire extinguisher to feel the powder flowing.

This is what we go by when doing a VSC.

Thanks for that. What do inspectors look for from a documention stand point?

This has been posted before, here's a guide for the potable fire extinguishers most of us have on our boats. Credit Rick B.

PORTABLE FIRE EXTINGUISHER INSPECTION AND MAINTENANCE FAQ
Where can I find the requirements for inspection and maintenance of portable fire extinguishers?
All USCG approved portable fire extinguishers have a statement on the label that the extinguisher is to be inspected and maintained in accordance with NFPA 10.
The NFPA 10 requirement is consistent with long-standing standard industry practice in the US (shoreside and marine). It is a means to ensure that the appropriate DOT requirements for pressure vessels and EPA requirements as applicable to portable fire extinguishers are addressed. The reliance on NFPA 10 was fully vetted in the 1994 rulemaking process for 46 CFR Subchapters T and K (however, recent changes to NFPA 10 have caused some confusion concerning the training necessary to perform the inspections and the maintenance).
What are the "inspections" required by NFPA 10?
The "inspections" listed in NFPA 10 are a quick check of the extinguisher’s condition to verify that it is in operating condition. The inspections are to be performed monthly by the vessel owner, operator or designated person in charge. The inspections are intended to verify that the extinguisher has not been damaged, and the extinguisher is full and has not been partially discharged.
What is the "maintenance" required by NFPA 10?
Maintenance is thorough check of the extinguisher’s condition, which involves a complete check of all mechanical parts, the extinguishing agent, and the pressurizing agent. Maintenance is to be conducted at intervals not exceeding one year, or whenever an inspection indicates a deficiency in the extinguisher’s condition. Since maintenance may involve disassembling the extinguisher, replacing parts, performing repairs or recharging, it should be done by individuals that have been specifically trained and have the necessary equipment, manufacturer's servicing manuals, and recommended replacement parts.
What training is required for extinguisher maintenance?
Certification or licensing by the state or local jurisdiction as a fire extinguisher servicing agency should be required for annual maintenance of extinguishers with one exception. There are a number of approved small extinguishers that are not intended to be recharged (typically B-I rated extinguishers). The fire extinguisher label will clearly state that the extinguisher is non-refillable or non-rechargeable and is to be removed from service at a maximum interval of 12 years from the date of manufacture. Because these units cannot be recharged, the annual maintenance requirements do not require disassembly of the extinguisher. Due to the special responsibility of the owner or operator of a vessel for the safety of the crew and vessel, the USCG considers that the annual maintenance for non-
March 25, 2010 March 25, 2010
rechargeable extinguishers may be performed by those designated by the owner or operator. Thus, a qualified servicing agency is not required for maintenance of non-rechargeable extinguishers. However, a record of maintenance must be available for the use of the Coast Guard inspector.
What does maintenance of a non-rechargeable extinguisher entail?
The following items should be included in the annual maintenance of non-rechargeable portable extinguishers:
1. Verify that 12 years has not lapsed from the manufacture date marked on the extinguisher.
2. Check that the pressure gage or pressure indicator is in the operable range. If there is no gage or indicator, verify the weight or fullness of the unit.
3. Verify there is no physical damage to the extinguisher, discharge hose (if provided) and bracket.
4. Check for missing or broken safety seals or tamper indicators.
5. Examine the extinguisher for obvious signs of corrosion, leakage or clogged discharge nozzle.
If any deficiencies other than the bracket are noted, the non-rechargeable extinguisher should be replaced. A damaged bracket should be replaced. The replacement bracket must be a bracket listed as approved for use with that extinguisher.
(Nothing in the above should be viewed as superseding any additional requirements specified in 46 CFR Subchapters K and T or elsewhere in the CFR.)

Before recently replacing 4 seven year old powder type extinguishers I gave one multiple whacks with a hammer, wait for it,using the handle. Nothing moved. I denied myself the joy of firing one to see what happened.
I understand the scientific solidification test involves putting the thing on its side on a table and gradually extending the nozzle end further and further off the table. If the powder is solidified at the other end the weight keeps the thing on the table for too long, and it gets condemned.
When I was racing sailboats I had, among others, a liquid filled Wilkinson Sword extinguisher. Never used it,it it got checked annually,and always passed.

I replaced all mine with Purple K and added extra. I also up sized them. The extinguishers that most people have on their boats are too small and ineffective. Once a fire starts on a boat you have less than a minute to get it under control before you have to start swimming. The water up here is TOO cold for that option, thus the better and bigger extinguishers. I have seen a number of boats burn it is amazing and surprising how fast it gets out of control. I recommend that everyone check out Purple K and consider adding it to their boat. When I attended the USCG required training, everything we played with would knock down the flames but it was always easy to re-ignite. The instructor would not let us use Purple K until the end because once it was sprayed on the tank full of diesel there was no way to re-ignite the flames. One shot and done. There is a reason the Navy and I think the AF uses Purple k on the flight lines.

I replaced all mine with Purple K and added extra. I also up sized them. The extinguishers that most people have on their boats are too small and ineffective. Once a fire starts on a boat you have less than a minute to get it under control before you have to start swimming. The water up here is TOO cold for that option, thus the better and bigger extinguishers. I have seen a number of boats burn it is amazing and surprising how fast it gets out of control. I recommend that everyone check out Purple K and consider adding it to their boat. When I attended the USCG required training, everything we played with would knock down the flames but it was always easy to re-ignite. The instructor would not let us use Purple K until the end because once it was sprayed on the tank full of diesel there was no way to re-ignite the flames. One shot and done. There is a reason the Navy and I think the AF uses Purple k on the flight lines.
Do they have any Class A rating? I realize Class A is not required on boats but on larger boats there are more combustible solids around like trash cans and curtains. I like to keep at least one Class A rated extinguisher on board.

Last edited:
"Purple K" sounds like a tablet sold at dance parties:). I searched it and did not see a result with an "au" in the address, it may not be available in Australia.
Is it expensive, does it have non caking properties?

Purple-K, also known as PKP, is a dry-chemical fire suppression agent used in some dry chemical fire extinguishers. It is the second most effective dry chemical in fighting class B (flammable liquid) fires after Monnex (potassium allophanate), and can be used against some energized electrical equipment fires (USA class C fires). It has about 4–5 times more effectiveness against class B fires than carbon dioxide, and more than twice that of sodium bicarbonate. Some fire extinguishers are capable of operation in temperatures down to −54 °C or up to +49 °C. Dry chemical works by directly inhibiting the chemical chain reaction which forms one of the four sides of the fire tetrahedron (heat + oxygen + fuel + chemical chain reaction = fire). To a much smaller degree it also has a smothering effect by excluding oxygen from the fire. "Dry chemical" extinguishers, such as Purple-K, are different from "dry powder" extinguishers that are used to fight Class D flammable metal fires.

It works incredibly well. It also renders electronic equipment useless after exposure. The powder is so fine it is nearly impossible to remove entirely.

The fact that purple K will bake on a hot surface was one reason the USCG switched to halon for aircraft fires.

Too much of a PIA to clean up after the fire was out and burned area fixed.

VERY effective yes, but so are the smaller ones for average trawler use. Sure there are cases where the purpke k might save the boat over common powder, but not sure that the fire fighting technique may be just as important.

From another (motorhome) Forum...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Thanks, I have a larger #5 (2002) and an Elite 10 in the recall. The Elite came from the factory in our signature coach. Less then a 10 minute wait on the phone. Sending new ones in 15-20 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
Same here, just got off a call with Kidde CS and my Elite 10/Elite 10 home model was not on the recall list. We could not identify a date code on the extinguisher. I gave them all the numbers I could find.

The Plot Thickens.... The rest of the story... Note the US & Canadian recall lists are different!!

I noticed the above contradictory posts with interest as I also have a model E10 /E10H extinguisher.

1) When I called the Kidde # provided in the recall they said the model was not included - when i told them it was listed in the Canada listing as recalled they told me I had to contact / submit it to the Canada listing and gave me another phone # to call

2) I tried the CA # but could not get through after 35-40 min on hold gave up. Tried to enter it online (CA site) but It wouldn't accept me w/ a US address/Zip

3) Tried the US # again and explained the situation - said they could see the CA listing but could not process the claim as the model didn't show up on their listing. They gave me another # for Customer Service.

4) Called Customer Service at 1-800-848-2292 again explained the situation that it was supplied with a MH and I have no idea where the MH Mfg purchased parts from. Supplied the Model #, S/N & date code and agent processed the recall.

Attacehed are the CA & US listings - best advice is check both lists and if you live in US but have a unit on the CA list - call the above Customer Svc #.
If you live in CA you should also check the US list and use the Cust Svc # if you can't get satisfaction through the CA website / phone #

Attachments

• US_Plastic+Handle+Product+ID+Guide.pdf
    253.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Canada+Plastic+Handle+ID+Guide.pdf
    263 KB · Views: 71
Additional Recall Lists - Here are the smaller PWC type lists for both US & Canada

See the previous post if you are in the US but have a FE on the Canadian list - I found it takes a special phone call to make this happen.

Attachments

• US_Push+Button+Product+ID+Guide.pdf
    159.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Canada-Push+Button+ID+Guide.pdf
    153.1 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom