My pants are wet...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm here for ya brother...

200.gif

Yup, from the casual way the deck hands are standing around I'd bet that photo has been photoshopped.

That collision happened in 2008 I believe.

Same photo on a different site had this caption:

"Chinese Freighliner Shinyo Sawako trying to get hooked up to a large salvage tug boat. This photo was taken shortly after Shinyo Sawako collided with a fishing boat Lurong Yu 2177 (that sank immediately upon collision and only two survived from its crew of 18 members). Reasons for the collision are unknown."

If the tug was trying to get a line across, would explain the tanker crew manning the rails. Don't think its PS'd.

longest 2 hours of your life being under a ship at sea trying to connect the tow,keep all crew on the deck and have all fingers and toes at the end.

Looks to me as though the photo is being taken from the tug.

Way back when, we used to actually conduct tow and be towed exercises for qualification and proficiency. I will note the deck lay out on the tug in the photo is much less "formal" then we used to do.

Even in the relative calm of the eastern pacific it would get a bit hairy backing down to get close enough to get the shot line over.

Now days it's an "observation" or perhaps even less, a "review". Too tough to put together dont'cha know....

Just another day in Paradise!

Looks to me as though the photo is being taken from the tug.

Way back when, we used to actually conduct tow and be towed exercises for qualification and proficiency. I will note the deck lay out on the tug in the photo is much less "formal" then we used to do.

Even in the relative calm of the eastern pacific it would get a bit hairy backing down to get close enough to get the shot line over.

Now days it's an "observation" or perhaps even less, a "review". Too tough to put together dont'cha know....

Even though its much less "formal than your used to", its not a proficiency drill for these folks. If they "fail" someone gets hurt or worse. Keeping that boat close enough to connect the tow is not an easy feat. Too close and you smash steel, too far away and the casualties winches can't raise the tow gear. Ship drifts and points differently than the tug.

Yep. Completely agree with all. Those guys do it daily.

When we did it, it was an evaluated event with specific metrics used for set up, safety and execution. All by the book and a great learning opportunity for the entire crew.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom