Newbie here_some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BOBG

Hello, Ive been lurking here for some time. I'm looking at a 1978 Mainship Mk.I with a Perkins 165 turbo. I've read that they can have soft spots on the deck and flying bridge. I'm more concerned about the engine/tranz/shaft/cutless bearings. The hour meter stopped working at 700, the owner states approx. 25 hrs each summer for past 10 years-so hes estimating 1000 hrs. The boat was just pulled out of the water last week. Is there an easy way to check mechanicals while out of the water? The owner is elderly and only wants 10,000. I was recently looking at the same model in Vermont-but it sold the week before I went to look at it for 24,000. The owner says it needs TLC. I'm not opposed to doing glass work or even an Awlgrip job myself.
I would like to do the Great Loop and spend the winters in Florida/Bahamas when I retire in 3 years. Hopefully I will learn the boat inside out by then. What do you think?
Thanks!
Bob

Last edited:
Welcome! Recommend both a hull and engine survey on which to base your decision.

If he skipped maintaining the hour meter then he skipped a lot of other maintenance as well. He is also under reporting the hours.

None of these means it’s a bad deal. Engine oil analysis and a good survey are a must. You need to know what you are buying into.

There are lots of those boats in the NJ area so you should be able to find a surveyor experienced in that model.
Be advised that boat also has a mid shaft bearing that is likely in need of replacement. It is on the aft side of the bulkhead that is below the sliding door.

There are lots of those boats in the NJ area so you should be able to find a surveyor experienced in that model.
Be advised that boat also has a mid shaft bearing that is likely in need of replacement. It is on the aft side of the bulkhead that is below the sliding door.

Jay, what were the symptoms that your mid shaft bearing needed replacement.... noise, rumble, vibration? About what was the freight for replacing it.... asking cause I'm questioning whether I need to do this also.

Thanks

Ken

Back
Top Bottom