Jupiter Inlet Boat Sinking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are suggestions that it was full of fish and the guy had past fines in the $50K range.

Will be interesting what they find once it is raised!

That would explain the giant fish box that floated loose as soon as water came in.

Kevin wrote;
“His bow sure seems to be down, and or he was going way too fast and buried the bow.”

Indeed but it’s more of a stern up issue it appears to me. Look at the vid again. All seems at least OK until the stern sea lifts his stern up a lot. Almost instantly the fwd deck plunges below the water.

So in fact he could have been going too slow. He’d have been fine if he’d hung on the backside of the wave and gone fast enough to keep his stern away from that stern sea.

Kevin wrote;
“His bow sure seems to be down, and or he was going way too fast and buried the bow.”

Indeed but it’s more of a stern up issue it appears to me. Look at the vid again. All seems at least OK until the stern sea lifts his stern up a lot. Almost instantly the fwd deck plunges below the water.

So in fact he could have been going too slow. He’d have been fine if he’d hung on the backside of the wave and gone fast enough to keep his stern away from that stern sea.

I am told and believe, adjust the the throttle(s) to stay either on top of the wave or just behind the top.

That video would make a good training tool in a boating course.

Jupiter can be a dangerous inlet. In 2010 a garlington 47 sport fish named water dog lost her very experienced owner/captain on a 4' day. (Boat righted itself Capt fell out of the fly ridge and broke his neck).This fellow looks to be on the green side which is where the shallowest water is and where the surfers like to catch the waves on ebb tides. This also looks like it was an ebb tide against a nw wind and a SW swell. Because of the shallowing depth and ebb tidal flow the waves slow down and get closer together as they jack up in height. When this happens you need to constantly adjust speed, slow and fast as well as course to avoid a broach just like a surfer. Clearly this didn't happen. The wave he was on looks like it collapsed into a slower possibly standing one in front of it causing his bow to pearl which caused an immediate broach and rollover. Nothing to do but swim at that point.

I am told and believe, adjust the the throttle(s) to stay either on top of the wave or just behind the top.

Yeah me too.....maybe 1 out of every 100 breaking inlet runs have I ever been able to do that.

Maybe west coast inlets with pacific rollers, but short steep east coast breaking inlets rarely cooperate like the text book says.

Jupiter can be a dangerous inlet. In 2010 a garlington 47 sport fish named water dog lost her very experienced owner/captain on a 4' day. (Boat righted itself Capt fell out of the fly ridge and broke his neck).This fellow looks to be on the green side which is where the shallowest water is and where the surfers like to catch the waves on ebb tides. This also looks like it was an ebb tide against a nw wind and a SW swell. Because of the shallowing depth and ebb tidal...

Here’s a short write up of Waterdog. The article also references 10 deaths at the inlet since 1998 and it’s a 10 year old article.

'It Got Bad Real Fast'

On the Washington and Oregon Coast we were taught ebb is evil and flood is fine. Typically onshore winds pile up against the ebb so you get short steep waves.

Last edited:
Surfer was a 13 year old kid! Wow. That's was an awesome rescue by that kid. He understood the break and the currents and knew the boater would have trouble near the jetty.

I always got nervous surfing next to jetties. Currents. Fishermen throwing hooks near me. Big toothy fish. Etc. [emoji30]

Surfer was a 13 year old kid! Wow. That's was an awesome rescue by that kid. He understood the break and the currents and knew the boater would have trouble near the jetty.

I always got nervous surfing next to jetties. Currents. Fishermen throwing hooks near me. Big toothy fish. Etc. [emoji30]

I don't surf. I don't like falling.

The Stuart cut aint no ride in the park either.
Come to think of it, maybe there is no "ride in the park" cut.
The Haul Over cut, coming in, once under the bridge, get close to the shore but, not too close.
So far, I have been lucky.

The Stuart cut aint no ride in the park either.
Come to think of it, maybe there is no "ride in the park" cut.
The Haul Over cut, coming in, once under the bridge, get close to the shore but, not too close.
So far, I have been lucky.

We had a wild ride coming into Haulover one day in a 32 foot deep vee. We came off a wave and there was nothing but alr under us. It felt like we had been dropped on concrete when we hit.

We had a wild ride coming into Haulover one day in a 32 foot deep vee. We came off a wave and there was nothing but alr under us. It felt like we had been dropped on concrete when we hit.

I hope to never experience that. I would have to clean my shorts.

Yeah me too.....maybe 1 out of every 100 breaking inlet runs have I ever been able to do that.

Maybe west coast inlets with pacific rollers, but short steep east coast breaking inlets rarely cooperate like the text book says.

Nope.I've had the privilege of going through most of the class A and B inlets on both coasts, and I do consider it a privilege. Ebb against an opposing wind is a problem to be avoided wherever and whenever it arises. Even on Class A inlets like the Golden Gate or Beaufort NC. I never have gone through Jupiter, it was a no fly zone to me unless conditions were perfect.

Lots of CC boats out there. Parker is a popular brand in SoCal waters and people take them out in very rough conditions. Looks to me to be a different animal than the boat in video, even if that boat was riding low to begin with.

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 108
Someone mentioned $50k in fines. I don't know if that's true or not. Am I the only one who has even considered the possibility it might have been intentional?

The above pictured center consoles are outboards, which give you the ability to trim up the bow with the motor....the boat that sank was an inboard so he didn't have that option.

It looks like his boat was just caught as the wave behind him caught up to the wave in front of him, and if those large boxes in his boat were full of ice/fish, that would be a lot of weight up front.

Shamrock is the only inboard CC that I'm aware of......are there any others ??

Inboard boats use trim tabs. With the tabs all the way up, planing boats will tend to go bow up at all but idle speeds.

Last edited:
Jupiter can be a dangerous inlet. In 2010 a garlington 47 sport fish named water dog lost her very experienced owner/captain on a 4' day. (Boat righted itself Capt fell out of the fly ridge and broke his neck).This fellow looks to be on the green side which is where the shallowest water is and where the surfers like to catch the waves on ebb tides. This also looks like it was an ebb tide against a nw wind and a SW swell. Because of the shallowing depth and ebb tidal flow the waves slow down and get closer together as they jack up in height. When this happens you need to constantly adjust speed, slow and fast as well as course to avoid a broach just like a surfer. Clearly this didn't happen. The wave he was on looks like it collapsed into a slower possibly standing one in front of it causing his bow to pearl which caused an immediate broach and rollover. Nothing to do but swim at that point.
Cafe, I think your evaluation is spot-on, thanks. I noticed the ebb tide on 3rd view of the vid. You are absolutely right about the waves getting closer together at the shallowest part of the bar. I have seen that on a couple of runs over bars on the coastal estuaries here in Oregon. Happens real fast, got to be on your A-game.

But the scariest memory ever was seeing stirred up sand bottom down through the water on a crossing of the Columbia river bar, will never forget that one!

I don't know of a 22' inboard center console being built today so don't know what that boat is. I know there have been some and Sarasota may build one but it has a much deeper bow too. I still can't imagine one riding like it was without serious other issues.

There's a part of the story not known and we may never know. If it's insured, they may figure it out, or may decide not worth much work on it.

Next issue will be someone getting hired and paid to salvage it.

I believe it was a Shamrock.

I guess the trick is to not find yourself in that position..... I'm thinking if he slowed down...the wave behind him would lift his stern further....if she sped up, he'd drive the bow into the wave....if you turn, you could get rolled..... I think his fate was sealed before the video even started

I inherited two Shamrocks with a business I bought. I really disliked driving them. They had the small gas engines and small rudders. I found them slow and unresponsive and had sold both of them before a year had passed. They both were slow to get back on the step if you let the boat come off the plane. I'm sure they have larger engine versions which I know nothing about.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom