AICW no wake zones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Just for you, RTF.

mz_bs_zone_overlaps 1.jpg

mz_bs_zone_overlaps 2.jpg

Nothing specific to the canal, just the area outside it.

Wifey B: So, we have a no wake zone, weekends only. We have a Manatee zone, weekends for 5 months and a 25 mph buffer other times and we have a watersports zone with no wake over 21' but 35 mph speed limit if pulling skiers and under 21' and we have a no Manatee protection zone.

Our zones overlap and change every few hundred feet with of course a bridge in each direction and a few marinas. :rofl:

California law regardless of no-wake zones:

"Speed is limited by law for certain conditions and areas. The maximum speed for motorboats within 100 feet of a bather (but not a water skier) and within 200 feet of a bathing beach, swimming float, diving platform or lifeline, passenger landing being used, or landing where boats are tied up is 5 miles per hour.

"A safe speed should be maintained at all times so that: (1) action can be taken to avoid collision; and (2) your boat can stop within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions. In restricted visibility, motorboats should have the engines ready for immediate maneuvering. You should be prepared to stop the vessel within the space of half the distance of forward visibility."

Look closely at the local laws. If, for example, the regional (typically State) law says "No wake 200 ft from Shore (or dock, or raft)", then there is no need to post a sign indicating 'No Wake' when a channel puts traffic less than 200 feet from shore, or dock, or raft.

We can't assume that a wake is allowed unless otherwise posted. That is simply not the case. The same applies to narrow channels. If a law states no wake 100 ft from another vessel underway, and you're in a channel that is only 100 feet wide, you're still compelled to pass at No Wake, even if there is no posted signage.

Also, just because every else is doing it, doesn't make it right.

That's nonsense. I see lots of manatees near industrial areas that have warm water outfalls, canals that connect two waterways, freshwater springs that run to the sea and even in residence at a marina. My buddy has a double wide on a small river near Tarpon Springs that has visiting manatees almost every day. I wouldn't call a trailer park a 'better neighborhood'. Although I'm not sayin' there's anything wrong with that. IMG_1180.jpg

That's nonsense. I see lots of manatees near industrial areas that have warm water outfalls, canals that connect two waterways, freshwater springs that run to the sea and even in residence at a marina. My buddy has a double wide on a small river near Tarpon Springs that has visiting manatees almost every day. I wouldn't call a trailer park a 'better neighborhood'. Although I'm not sayin' there's anything wrong with that. View attachment 69739

Wifey B: Actually Manatees appear to be doing quite well today. Quite a lot of controversy over them being dropped from the endangered species list. :)

Look closely at the local laws. If, for example, the regional (typically State) law says "No wake 200 ft from Shore (or dock, or raft)", then there is no need to post a sign indicating 'No Wake' when a channel puts traffic less than 200 feet from shore, or dock, or raft.

We can't assume that a wake is allowed unless otherwise posted. That is simply not the case. The same applies to narrow channels. If a law states no wake 100 ft from another vessel underway, and you're in a channel that is only 100 feet wide, you're still compelled to pass at No Wake, even if there is no posted signage.

And that's a problem because those of us who cruise may travel through several different states. Boating laws are less uniform than (auto) traffic laws.

So in one state it's 50 feet and the next it's 200 feet. Not only do we not know the law, there's often not sign indicating that we've passed from one state to another.

Wifey B: Actually Manatees appear to be doing quite well today. Quite a lot of controversy over them being dropped from the endangered species list. :)

But do we want to run over them regardless?

We were in a marina on the west coast of FL and there was a lagoon where manatees were swimming and playing (or having sex, we couldn't tell). The Sea Dog swam with them and loved it..

But, nearly every one we saw had propeller scars on its back.

But do we want to run over them regardless?

We were in a marina on the west coast of FL and there was a lagoon where manatees were swimming and playing (or having sex, we couldn't tell). The Sea Dog swam with them and loved it..

But, nearly every one we saw had propeller scars on its back.

Wifey B: I don't want to run over anything. :)

So in one state it's 50 feet and the next it's 200 feet. Not only do we not know the law, there's often not sign indicating that we've passed from one state to another.

So, as responsible persons, we should make an effort to become familiar with the boating laws of the jurisdictions we visit and be aware we're at.

Well, you never know when you'll come across something crazy, like this.
That is a rubber tired manlift on a small work float! On a very busy section of the GICW between New Orleans and Houma, La.

Attachments

• Manlift on ICW near Lafitte 044.jpg
    Manlift on ICW near Lafitte 044.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Manlift on ICW near Lafitte 046.jpg
    Manlift on ICW near Lafitte 046.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I bought a house on the Miami River, this is a working river with tugs and island freighters, sport fishers, cruising boats, outboards, ect. The water is filthy and where I am we have sea cows, tarpon, snook ect. We sometimes spray the cows with freshwater, they open their mouths to drink.

When I was a kid we would eat them, very tasty on the barbecue. Many of you have cruised the Keys and possibly you noticed areas called “cow pens”, these are small areas a few hundred feet in diameter rimmed by Cyprus logs and thick branches driven into the bottom a few feet apart. They were used to house sea cows until they were needed to feed people.

That you history lesson for today. LOL

Wifey B: So, we have a no wake zone, weekends only. We have a Manatee zone, weekends for 5 months and a 25 mph buffer other times and we have a watersports zone with no wake over 21' but 35 mph speed limit if pulling skiers and under 21' and we have a no Manatee protection zone.

Our zones overlap and change every few hundred feet with of course a bridge in each direction and a few marinas. :rofl:

Very smart manatees to know when to come out for a swim. They must also have great vision to read the signs.:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom