Lost at sea for months?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have so many questions about this. Glad they're ok.

Lost and off course because ther engine died?

Motorized compass?

Motorized sextant?

Motorized clock?

Motorized gps?

Motorized brain cells?

Dope smugglers who sampled!!!

what happened to the sails? was it not a SAILBOAT?

There’s a very good book, 439 Days, about a guy who survived more than a year adrift in a 25’ open boat. Great read.

Story is a wee bit short on details, like how extensive the storm damage was.

C'mon! That article is so vague. We need details!

I once knew a guy who was a recently retired executive living his life's dream. He had a big sloop built and sailed down the west coast of the US on the way to a circumnavigation. He had never sailed before in his life and didn't really know anything about navigation.

His wife got off in San Diego...she'd had enough...and he continued on southward picking up young adventurers along the way to help him sail the thing.

I met him in the Galapagos Islands where he had arrived with some Panamanian kid who'd never done any sailing before. They were headed for the Marquesas, something like a 2,000 mile crossing of open ocean. A guy I knew, a college student from Virginia, decided it looked like fun and joined them. He had never sailed, either.

No sextant; it would have been useless anyway since no one aboard knew anything about navigation. They had an electronic box...the old Transit SatNav system...and that was it.

I never heard from my buddy again. I've always wondered....

Of course, I'm making some assumptions about these two women in the news story, but that's an awfully damned long time to be drifting around without even being able to jury rig a mast stump and get someplace. Yikes.

This seems a little odd...... If the mast was still in place, and it seems to be from the pictures.....there ought to have been some way they could have gotten some sort of sail rigged. It might not have been perfect...but they had A LOT of time to work on it. PLUS.....they should have had an epirb.....who in their right mind would undertake a 2800 mile journey without an epirb, a back up GPS, multiple VHF systems....a sat phone.....so many things. They had the foresight to bring a years worth of food...but not an epirb ? Ignorance or stupidity.....not sure it matters.....they are very lucky to be alive.

Just saw a pic...mast and boom properly in place, mainsail bent on, jib rolled up neatly. Gross incompetence, scam, mental illness?

Dropped their men's bodies over the side, but then realized they didn't even know how to hoist the sails.

Definitely more to this story!

I once knew a guy who was a recently retired executive living his life's dream. He had a big sloop built and sailed down the west coast of the US on the way to a circumnavigation. He had never sailed before in his life and didn't really know anything about navigation.

His wife got off in San Diego...she'd had enough...and he continued on southward picking up young adventurers along the way to help him sail the thing.

I met him in the Galapagos Islands where he had arrived with some Panamanian kid who'd never done any sailing before. They were headed for the Marquesas, something like a 2,000 mile crossing of open ocean. A guy I knew, a college student from Virginia, decided it looked like fun and joined them. He had never sailed, either.

No sextant; it would have been useless anyway since no one aboard knew anything about navigation. They had an electronic box...the old Transit SatNav system...and that was it.

I never heard from my buddy again. I've always wondered....

Of course, I'm making some assumptions about these two women in the news story, but that's an awfully damned long time to be drifting around without even being able to jury rig a mast stump and get someplace. Yikes.

I met a captain in the Freeport Bahamas custom line. He asked me what heading to take to get back to FL!:nonono:

Storm knocked out engine, but they had enough power to run a watermaker and keep the radio charged to make distress calls for 5 months without anyway to charge batteries??? The gal in the photo looks very fit and tan, not sunburned--and so does the dog--to have spent anywhere near that much time in the summer sun surviving on oatmeal and pasta. They must have spent a lot of time below working out and creating the first draft of the book we all know will be coming.

I’m glad they didn’t have to eat the dogs!

This is the age of enlightenment ( or is it?). Two women and two dogs doing their thing. Then mother nature and reality intruded. I'd bet a large amount that the USN has similar questions, maybe already answered.

Yes Peggy they are fit, an oatmeal and rice diet can do that so says Quaker and Uncle Ben. Enriched rice most likely. Or maybe they ate the dog food along with Fido. :whistling:

In this day of the internet people have come to expect the’ll know everything about everything. I think the need to know is overblown. It’s now a habit.

Read Yahoo news one day and see if knowing anything over 15% of it would be of any benefit. Most of it may not be trash but most of it is stuff we just don’t need to know.

This lost at sea thing is a good example. Who needs to know if they ate the dog or not. They didn’t as I’ve see pics of the dog. This should be a family thing and a Navy thing. That’s it.

But there’s so many things that would be helpful to know why do we waste our time reading endless ..... stuff?

Anyone remember the movie
“Dumb and Dumber”
I think this is the sequel

I think the "need to know" is because we don't want to be decieved and lied to. When society deems someone worthy of admiration and praise, and their accomplishments turn out to be fraudulent, it lowers the pedestal that all heroes have been put on; and we all lose a little something from that. Reality is a scary thing sometimes, and it helps to know that once in a while, David can slay Goliath, Shackleton can get his men home, a college dropout can start Microsoft, Ann Frank can get out of the attic, Neil Armstron can walk on the moon, or Rosa Parks can sit wherever the hell she wants.

This is only my opinion, but I think we all get a benefit from the inspiration provided by people who accomplish great things, and we all pay a price for the people who lie about it.

:banghead: They were saved. That's enough.

How is "only able to move at 4-5 knots" an emergency when that is the cruising speed of many small sailboats that cross the Pacific each year? How is it that they are both in good spirits, well fed and healthy and even the dogs are plump and well cared for?

There are so many issues with the story that I figure it is one of two things:
1) They truly are complete neophytes and the idiocy is real;
2) More likely this was a well-planned publicity stunt that will now earn them book rights and movie royalties.

Back
Top Bottom