Chain Goes Where?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
I hope we can get a definitive answer for this question. When anchoring and using a chain grab hook with a bridle, where does the extra length of chain used to weigh down the chain in the grab hook if the chain goes slack go; between the legs of the bridle or alongside one of the legs?

Between, less chafe for one thing and a straighter "pull" on the hook for another. I liked having that loop extend several feet below the surface for gentler motion and a little less horsing.

6pHYfND1gtxjVyjjCfPRB1fRdIc-U3ED2IMs3IRigO6SNAj2JhdZ08ZtoCBOkrhXa71XSqJgOpQ-QL9OO76V2_mopXJLJr_yK_ijl-LSds0DB17KmnCLZQJSVMSvMTyUqIf3U3JI0t41LUes3-Np3yQTm6C91-F1FhFRyD4ja70QvORcH9735fZieo_8Tp9JPR1bnY-jf_fSTYaPDUklFi-kN9g4sUakzi11uLKCOqOFfMpL27r3Mw5A5fHP_eHmT315JxntWpo84negGxpXTgRMQl3HZiBRPgotrfUzlgK-kzAcZ1fRjFhCDkAGSeT8HMszSwxPgPAvEXMwJPmr277RranScvgH2haTKK1ElilnkeCJT0pspZ29d6WW6M7348JKaCEg9HWD8fgLZThoFUeWBhSkwDX_aZs3p50WGZ5-Q4LymF4PxRoJNbLnq4OwfFVyAdKlgDCqYw9VWWzsDG2b7P8TE8OYpnV9xzMi6JUv-NseEZPhY40F8fim0YaQ2p6ARAZJ140hmJ6n1t47MkxKYPyz1MBOjzy3S0Gauyc_Jya18BikR8-SIEKF6gktcvEw4yjdSSkWlWe6sY5sOVN5mVhahfSfy0DWMpqEeA=w1288-h966-no

Last edited:
Well here in Oriental......

Actually docked tonight, but usually let it hang between the leg..... as previously posted, less chafe.... :)

But I have had times on my boat where on a light wind night, because of the lengths not always the same, it has been outside of the bridle in the morning.

Well here in Oriental......

Actually docked tonight, but usually let it hang between the leg..... as previously posted, less chafe.... :)

But I have had times on my boat where on a light wind night, because of the lengths not always the same, it has been outside of the bridle in the morning.

Ha. that's what happens to me. I start with it in the middle and several hours later it is outside. Perhaps I need to let more chain out in the middle.

Thats why on all these light wind nights, I just use a single 1/2 inch line snubber of about 15 feet.

Even when the gusts or morning wind picks up to 15 knots, plenty of snubber and it literally only takes 5 seconds to tie on a rolling hitch.

Sure I have a heavier setup...but for 2 weeks now...hardly needed.....but when I do use it....I have to be careful of how much chain loop is out so it doesnt hit bottom but goes far enough past the vee in the bridle to keep from going over one of the legs.

Pay close attention to how you're affixing your chain hook. You would need to run the bridle In FRONT the chain and attach the hook from forward of the chain. If you run the bridle behind the chain and attach from behind the chain, then even if you dump the slack chain between the bridle, it will work itself out.

Back
Top Bottom