View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #18
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
To narrow the discussion down...
The job possibility is in Miami Beach area. It is event production. There are lots of events and event companies there. Would I be able to get one if this one sucked? I can’t know that for sure.
I don’t hate traffic as much as most people do.
Slip rental prices are the scariest thing as does insurance.

How is the boating in general? What can you do on an average weekend? Are there anchorages? Are there places to go with transient docks to visit towns?
If we bought a home, 200k would be about the price range.
Boating is incredible. Do the ICW if you like and every town has something. Go south to the Keys. Go north through the Okeechobee or south and around and you'll be on the West Coast. Or go 50 nm to Bimini, Bahamas. Have a bit longer and explore all the Bahamas. No where else I know with so many islands so close.

In addition to boating, there are always many things going on during the weekends. None as good as boating. However, it's a tourist area and that means a lot of fine restaurants and a lot of things to do.

There is a lot of event production in South Florida. People like to come here for events.

Depending on where your office is, you can live north and close to the roads south. The selection of single family homes in that price range is better in Broward County. Still there are some in Miami/Dade. You'd have to decide if you liked the area though. I would definitely not buy too quickly, until you really know the area. Rent or live on the boat but you don't want to pick a neighborhood you'll not like. You need time to explore.

Slip rentals are something which is high and no real alternative to that unless you want your boat a couple of hours away and I don't see that. Now, before Irma, there were some more reasonable slips south of Miami, but doubt there are now, places like Marathon.

Boat insurance will be more, but with some searching not as much as you might think. Not as much an issue as the slip.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote