Automatic Fender System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try this video......

That's not really a video of it being used. That's a video of them just showing how it works. Use involves a dock. I can't picture that tiny fender effectively protecting from a dock. And was actually referring to their trawler customer with my statement. Perhaps what's making it hardest for me to picture is the size of the fender in the video. It can't possible protect well enough in the conditions we generally deal with. Use it boat, dock, wind, current, waves, tide.

A friend of ours bought them for his father as a birthday present....
Thanks, Sam

Wifey B: I'll take diamonds. :D

You're right though if we thought we had a use or need for them, the cost in the big picture is nothing. I've seen $2000+ fenders.

It'll never replace my Ronco Uni-Fender.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 50
Ok - if my post (#57) was too snarky I'll certainly apologize. They're fine. Perhaps just a little too...complicated...for my taste but remembering my mothers advice "if you can't say something nice..." . I could have stayed quiet.

A couple of points:
Fenders hanging on tethers tend to be under the most stress when the boat is rolling them forward/aft such as in a lock or in a fixed slip. I'd have to see them in that situation.

For clarity my poor attempt at humor was more directed to FlyWright about whether the "safety advantage" was significant in light of the larger view of what it takes to operate a boat (there's still other deck/bow work). But clearly these don't ADD to safety problems.

I must be doing something wrong after 50+ years of boating, because I do go up on the bow when securing boats, power and sail. Lines, power cords, etc.

As a suggestion, the sales video might be more compelling if the example fender was larger and perhaps located at a different location on the rail.

When deployed I'd have to see if the mechanism would interfere for rafting up.

And - I could see the system being useful for passing through locks, if side access was limited.

Lastly, I'll reiterate that while a few TF-ers (including me) may not have been completely welcoming on this thread, the OP (or investors) should always identify any connection with an endorsed product at the get-go.

Lastly, I'll reiterate that while a few TF-ers (including me) may not have been completely welcoming on this thread, the OP (or investors) should always identify any connection with an endorsed product at the get-go.

I am the OP and I have no connection to Sam, the developer of the product. We've never met and I don't have a financial interest in the product...just an interest in new gadgets. I did, however, invite him to the conversation and introduce him following his first post.

I am the OP and I have no connection to Sam, the developer of the product. We've never met and I don't have a financial interest in the product...just an interest in new gadgets. I did, however, invite him to the conversation and introduce him following his first post.

Wifey B: OP innocent. OP then said who Sam was since he didn't. So, OP doubly innocent. :angel:

How much downward pressure can the line deployment mechanism take?

How much downward pressure can the line deployment mechanism take?
Good question. A rolling boat can hang a fender under the dock edge and put some serious strain on cleats or railings.

CDreamer makes a good point. I don’t like hanging fenders from my rails as I don’t like the leverage that they have with a rolling boat. I prefer to tie them to the stanchion base. My sailboat had a sea trial last week and I re-tied all the fenders to hang from the base of the stanchions.

This device is sitting higher than I would like on my railings. Like many, I have a fairly heavy boat. It may be less of an issue on a lighter craft.

Hi Guys,
I'll answer the 3 questions/comments above:
1. You are correct about the fenders creating strain on the line. We are using a very strong line and in addition to handle that strain we have a long expansion spring on the line. We use thru hole fenders and the spring is in the tube. That expansion spring is very important.
2. In the video you see the way we like to hang the Automatic Fenders but in many boats you can hang them in any height on your stanchion. Should be pretty easy to hang in different height on Trawlers and Sailboats. Should be no problem hanging them on the bottom on the stanchion on a Trawler or sailing boat.
3. I agree that we need to add more videos and pictures showing larger fenders, different locations for the Automatic Fender, rafting, the automatic fender stopping at rub line vs dock line, operation under water to show durability and more. I fully agree that we didn't invest enough on the marketing side. We will do all above. We are currently prioritizing shipping the orders we have vs trying to get additional orders. The video in YouTube is very old and actually not even with the final product - will update it as well.
I really appreciate the feedback, most of it was good and helps us learn and improve.
Thanks, Sam (the developer)

Last edited by a moderator:
I still prefer the big round orange fenders.
I would like t replace the puny one inch rubber chrome cap with a 3 or 4 inch rubber fender rail.

I'm all for innovation and think it should be encouraged in all forms. A lot of really great things have come from someone who was willing to question the status quo. I don't know if this thing will be closer to Post-It Notes, or the Flowbee, but we'll never know if no one tries it.

Also, kudos to you for putting yourself out there to face the criticism and negativity.

If I was going to offer any feedback, it would be regarding the voice over in the marketing video. That voice is absolutely, positively and unequivically costing you sales. If you can't reshoot, replace with background music and text on the screen. Also, I think some of the puffery goes a bit far. CNC machining can produce amazingly intricate parts with incredibly minute tolerances that are good enough for the aerospace and medical industries; to imply otherwise undermines your credibility in my view.

Best of luck !

I'm all for innovation and think it should be encouraged in all forms. A lot of really great things have come from someone who was willing to question the status quo. I don't know if this thing will be closer to Post-It Notes, or the Flowbee, but we'll never know if no one tries it.

!

Sam would be thrilled if it was like the Flowbee. Between 1988 and 2000, there were more than 2 million Flowbee's sold. Note that they are still selling too, although not in nearly the volume they once did. Among other reasons, there are many other copies by other manufacturers also being sold. 2 million, probably $140 million or so. Not bad. Not Post-It Notes. However, a one man show. Also, note that Post-It Notes were not initially successful.

OK...so I picked the wrong example I guess. I had no idea the Flowbee was so successful. Maybe the Pet Rock would have been better ??

Where've I been? Had to look up Flowbee to see what the heck you're talking about.

I thought they quit making those back in 1982.

OK...so I picked the wrong example I guess. I had no idea the Flowbee was so successful. Maybe the Pet Rock would have been better ??

In less than 6 months, Dahl sold over $6 million worth of pet rocks. Now, you might think once the sales faded it would never be heard from again, but it's back.

Pet Rock

Your point is good. Your examples lousy, mainly because the best example you would have never heard of.

My beef with fenders is that they only work well in a static situation, not when moving/rubbing forward or aft which causes them to rise over the dock, as in the act of docking.

We all know car tires strung down the sides are the best fenders. :lol:

They are...you just have to adjust your standard.

If they weren't good enough for dang near free, why would commercial boats use them? :D

Yachtie costs way more than necessary.

Fun can be had for a fraction of what most profess.

If they weren't good enough for dang near free, why would commercial boats use them? :D

:iagree:

Maybe some fancy white tires on an automatic retriever would be the perfect blend of style and practicality.

I tried to be funny with the tire comment and derailed the entire thread.

:oops:

Wifey B: My only time using them was the Panama Canal. Required. Lots of them. :D

We all know car tires strung down the sides are the best fenders. :lol:

That's what the builder provided, but that was taking the tug theme too far. Besides, they were too bulky to store on the boat.

That's what the builder provided, but that was taking the tug theme too far. Besides, they were too bulky to store on the boat.

I will be happy with a 2, 3 or 4 inch rubber rub rail, no chrome. You want chrome, put it on your car.

Last edited:
Hi All, It is about 18 months since I commented here on the Automatic Fenders, I hope that you are OK with me jumping back in.
We no longer have a basket. The units is much smaller now and works with standard thru hole fenders. The fenders are stored horizontally. Most boaters actually get 2. I am the developer:):):):)
Thanks, Sam

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom