Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 PM   #72
silver lining1
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake/S Florida
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Viking Sport Cruiser 50 ft flybridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
So why do you pro-additive evangelists think that for the very old school Detroit 2 strokes, wherein fuel plays a very important role in cooling and lubrication, the manufacturer specifies as low a sulphur content as possible and no additives?
Each of the engine manufacturers spec their fuel requirements D975 or EN590. As long as the fuels meet the specs no additives are required. The ulsd refining process removes the lubricity and it it must be added back using additives by the supplier.

What I worry about is I travel to many islands and up and down the east coast. it can only take one bad batch of fuel with subpar lubricity to damage an engine. If the correct additives were not blended in fuel I took at Staniel cay or Lucaya or some other unknown marina I worry.

Same thing for me with biobore. I use it from time to time or when my fuel will sit. Have never had an algae problem. But worry about getting some water in fuel when the tank in treasure cay gets low since they are not my regular supplier
silver lining1 is offline   Reply With Quote