Willard Crealock design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivertrader

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bottomtime III
Vessel Make
1974 Fales 32 Navigator
I wonder if Mr Crealock had these in mind when he designed the Willard 30??

Attachments

• montereydrwglarge.jpg
    montereydrwglarge.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 180
  • P9290003.jpg
    P9290003.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 162
Trader,
The stern is very different on the W30. Much fuller on the Willard. And this boat is a bit more pointed in the stern making it less full yet. I would need a cross section to confirm it but I also think the Crealock was much heavier as there is no evidence of the hollow wineglass section that the W30 has.
But "inspited by" .. yes very possible. However the designers inspiration probably came from several to many other boats. But the Crealock is much closer to the Willard than the British Fisher designs.
The "Crealock" you've shown looks like a larger version of the Monterey 27 that was very numerous in the SF Bay waters. I almost bought one that was a reject from the "Wooden Boat Center" in south Lake Union Seattle. Had an old Buda engine.

John you were more right than I thought. I came across this on the WBO yahoo groups site.
"While researching, I discovered the original sail layout plan for the Horizon II. It gives all the dimensions of the sails in some detail. Whether this sail plan is the same for the Horizon (I) model, I don't know. The plans clearly attribute the Horizon II design to Bill Crealock."
However there was no mention of the hull design.

Additionally I found this;
"I don't know of any truly round bottom boats built today. Not even canoes are round bottomed. The only one I can recall is the Colin Archer designed FRAM. This is the ship that carried Nansen tp the Arctic and Amundsen to the Antarctic. The ship was intended to be frozen in the ice and pressure of the floes would force the round bottomed boat upward preventing crushing. The original FRAM still exists. It is on display n the FRAM museum in Oslo. Incidentally Colin Archer, the Scotsman turned Norwegian boat designer, is the godfather of the Willard 30. Haile Field, the actual Willard 30 designer, was inspired by the Colin Archer double ended rescue sailboats used to pluck unfortunate Norwegian fishermen out of the North Sea. The FRAM, although it survived numerous winters in the Arctic and Antarctic, was considered a terrible sea boat. It rolled excessively."
Written by Larry Z on WBO.

So it appears that Haile Field designed the Willard 30 foot boats. There are some common sailboat features found on the W30 like wineglass hull form, fully curved hullsides wider amidships, vinyl covered wire "life lines" (rather than typical tubular metal "hand rails") as found on most all trawlers, and others that I can't remember. So I have concluded Mr Field normally designed sailboats. Haven't found or looked for any concrete evidence.

Last edited:
Re Willard 30

Hi
I was talk to my friend, mike bradshaw, who was part of Willard in the 70's about a 30 currently for sale and he wrote
"But it wasn’t designed by Hale Field. Hale was a frequent visitor to Willard, but it is a 100% Bill Crealock design".
Mike went on to found Westsail with Snyder Vick and much more.
He knew bill Crealock well.
Just FYI.
Warren

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom