Hard choice to purchase an oil change system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacques

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
"Côte de Nuits"
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
What is the best choice for an oil change system with 3 valves manifold :

A system with gear pump (like Groco) or a system with impaller pump (like Jabsco).
Your opinions and advice are welcome.

Thank you for your help!

-- Edited by Jacques on Wednesday 14th of September 2011 11:57:56 AM

-- Edited by Jacques on Wednesday 14th of September 2011 12:01:05 PM

Attachments

• groco oil change system.jpg
    groco oil change system.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 241
  • jabsco oil change system.gif
    jabsco oil change system.gif
    34.9 KB · Views: 270
My money is on*the gear pump.

I have a Groco hooked into the genset and the two singles (per conventional wisdom I no longer have twins). It has worked fine except for the time I stupidly forgot to switch the valve and partially drained the fresh oil off one engine.

I have a fixed mount Reverso impeller pump with quick connect hoses that will reach all four engines and or anything else I want to pump in the engine room ie: transmissions, coolant, bilge water, etc. Works great for me, I've even used it to bleed one of the Lehmans that the mechanical pump wasn't working on. I've used it to transfer diesel from one tank to another.

KISS ,

You should be able to change really hot oil with the least confusion and hassle.

And not put the enhone at risk fron a failed hose or fitting.

Pouring it in , instead of pumping it in (assuming 5-10 gallons not 50) keeps from overfilling.

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 15th of September 2011 04:38:41 AM

My Mainship has an OEM Oil X-changer system on it that required a new impeller and seals last year. Unfortunately, the company is not responsive to emails or phone calls anymore. I read where others have experienced the same problem.

So, I guess my point is, do not include Oil X-changer in your search for a oil change system, in my opinion. Although I was able to find the parts from Reverso, who use the same pump on their impeller style changers.

Thank you for your information and comments. I think choosing a system with gear pump, clearly suggested by Rick, to avoid the problems more often with a impaller.

My question was principaly the type of pump (gear or impaller).

"Reverso" is probably the best choice, but more expensive than "Greco" currently at a good price (arround $400).

-- Edited by Jacques on Thursday 15th of September 2011 08:40:46 AM

Roll your own , I have the key piece ,the aluminum block drilled and pipe threaded .

Don't remember if it has 5 or 6 ports (in FL) but its new and would work for pumping oil or as a fuel manifold.

$100.

FF wrote:
Roll your own , I have the key piece ,the aluminum block drilled and pipe threaded .

Don't remember if it has 5 or 6 ports (in FL) but its new and would work for pumping oil or as a fuel manifold.

$100.
*I would like more details please. I do not understand very well your suggestion!

I made my own. Used a gear pump off ebay and some valves to connect both engines and gen set.

Works great hot or cold. Used to have rubber impeller which only worked when hot.

I pour my oil and not pump it in.

Thank you!

Jacques wrote:
What is the best choice for an oil change system with 3 valves manifold :

A system with gear pump (like Groco) or a system with impaller pump (like Jabsco).
*As Rick said, the gear pump is probably the better bet for longevity of service and minimal maintenance.* However we were given a Jabsco impeller pump system--- the pump-on-a-bucket setup they sell--- and so far it's done fine for us and our two Lehman 120s.* So I suppose it comes down to how often you anticipate using it, whether it's going to be a portable or fixed installation, and how much money you're willing to spend.

I'm inclined towards the gear pump. Both Groco and Reverso sell very good small gear pumps and oil changing manifolds.
Reverso also sells rubber impeller oil changing pumps and they have worked well for many years. There really isn't a big advantage of gear pump over rubber impeller. You just have to change a rubber impeller once in a while.

I bought a $29 centrifugal pump at Harbor Freight along with a handful of fittings.* The pump came with alligator clips that conveniently hook onto the starboard starter solenoid. Someday I might get motivated enough to mount it permanently but so far it hasn't hit the top of the to-do list.*

-- Edited by bobofthenorth on Saturday 1st of October 2011 09:12:23 AM

I bought a $29 centrifugal pump at Harbor Freight along with a handful of fittings.

Great , how do you fill it with oil t prime it?

Or is it mounted below the engine oil pan?

i dont think that you will be able to suck the oil out of the engine unless* you have the pump elow the engine, it is not a posetive* displacement pump.

Its not mounted.* When you start pumping theres some head pressure in the sump.* A centrifugal pump won't pull much head but it will self prime to some degree, particularly when its got oil in it.* I only drain warm engines so the oil flows to the pump and once its primed it will pull a pretty decent suction.* It would be better with bigger drain lines on the engines - mine are all 3/8.* It gets all the oil out of the engines and blows bubbles at the end - you can't ask for more than that.

Lots of people like to make projects much more difficult than they really are - this is a pretty trivial one.

I use one of these on the main engine and gen with brass adapators to fit the threads on the fittings on the drain hoses on the engine sumps.* If the oil is warm it takes no time at all to get the old oil out. Can also be used via the dipstick tube if you don't have drain hoses fitted to the sumps, but I prefer the 12v cheapo pumps for the dipstick suck.*

Handy Boy Pump

The X-changeR oil change systems seems to be a bit cheaper than the Reveso systems.

If you have oil storage tanks installed then X-changeR has a unit *(950GV) that can be connected directly to the storage tanks. This might be worth considering to avoid the possible mess that oil change can lead to.

I am considering this unit myself due to the oil tank connections but I am a bit unsure if it is really required. The problem with the connected tanks is how to measure the correct amount of oil when refilling - timing is an option but even 20 seconds too long can overfill en engine.*

It is probably better to have a tap on the new oil tank and then tap off the correct amount into a can, which then can be pumped into the engine.

But - as mentioned - X-changeR DOES NOT reply to any emails.....a bit of a turn-off.

Back
Top Bottom