View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 03:24 PM   #10
C lectric
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
If you have a good idea of the area the prop fell off then it MAY be worthwhile hiring a diver for an hour or two's looking. for a fee of $300-#400. [total guesstimate]

I don't know what you have for props and it doesn't really matter here but a new prop will likely be several thousands of dollars plus all the other nonesense of matching it.
If you find it you will be money ahead. If not then the cost will have be eaten as a boat expense.

Get the boat pulled. As said these things do not just fall off. Someone didn't do their job properly. Double nuts and a cotter pin should have ensured it stayed put.

I will mention that if the prop had been properly fitted it likely would not have come off even if the cotter pin and the nuts fell off.

Get the other prop checked that it is fitted properly AND the nut and cotter pin are setup correctly. If that is not checked you could be on the verge of losing the other.

Directions have been given above for proper fitting of the shaft/propeller so read it carefully and be sure it is done properly. If you don't understand then ASK again. You can be directed to an experts way of doing this, with photos, that can be downloaded: Tony Athens of Seaboard Marine who offers a huge amount of info for free and this is one of those guides.

Another reason for pulling the boat and doing an inspection is the prop may have damaged the hull when it went. They do not always go down immediately without first smacking the hull, cutting it. I knew two people that happened to. They lost a prop, one lost a blade first, and the hull was damaged.

It might be worth getting the insurance company involved. You might end up paying for it all but maybe not. If there is further damage it may be more than thought to get repairs done properly and if you start messing with it without contacting them you may end up eating it all.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote