View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 03:28 AM   #14
Nidza
Veteran Member

City: Belgrade
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Chrysler marine had an engine with the coolers mounted very low also. Certainly solves the level issue, but does keep raw water in the cooler at shutdown, and the low old oil contaminates a bit during oil changes
You are right about the oil change - that it would not be emptied, therefore I have put it in very accessible location so when I change gearbox oil, I also disconnect cooler and empty it, too, not only the gearbox.

Well you are right about the raw water, there is always some compromise, one more thing to be thought of. Thank you for this experienced notice. I presume that even if the cooler is mounted above the gearbox, all raw water from cooler is extracted only if it is not horizontally mounted, if it is, some water will always stay there.

Design aspects are always interesting and even when it seems perfect it can be done in better way. If only one could design and build so much boats, it is very interesting, fun and brain challenging. Hmm, note to myself for future boat - gearbox and cooler above waterline, cooler under the gearbox, cooler leveled to empty all the water after shutdown, of course the hull must also comply. Isn't it a challenge, that is why design is always fun. Then again, sailing is fun, too. Of all the compromises in life, the one related to time is the worst.
Nidza is offline   Reply With Quote