Lower cost marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captDJ

Veteran Member
Seems all I'm finding is 10$ ft on southern east coast, any ideas on decent lower cost marinas southeast coast US? Or am I dreaming, I'd like to stay near an airport but very flexible, and value safety over amenities.

Is that $10/ft per week or month?

We pay $10ft/mo and find it very objectionable. But it is covered moorage.

That's about what I pay in Vallejo and don't have any marina staff providing weekend services such as visitor and fuel docks. Vallejo city staff only provide weekday service. If it was run as a business, staff would work Wednesday through Sunday if revenue won't support seven-day service. And while Berkeley has weekend staff, they can't handle payments so everything must be done in advance (payment, evidence of insurance, and so on.)

I pay $12/ft/mo and consider myself lucky. Slips are twice that in the Twin Cites and 3 times that for a covered slip in many places.

We pay $7/ft in New Bern, NC

No. I was wondering also.
$10/foot-week is about right four parts of NY and Connecticut.

He's not exaggerating at all. I still want to know if he's talking $10/week or month. For SE FL sounds like per week at most marinas and a bargain at that. Now, if he's talking per day, that's another thing. I'm not aware of any over $8 or so per day.

Not sure about the east coast, but here in the Tampa area rates typically run $9-$11 per foot, per month, on a long-term contract. Transient dockage, of course, is much more.

In Southern CT/RI, we pay by the season, which runs roughly Memorial Day - Columbus Day. Not all marinas allow year round occupancy. Those who don't will open up around Late April and close between Oct 15 - Nov. 1. Prices can range from $100 - $150/ft per season depending on location.

I'm also curious whether this is a per day/week/month price. $100 for Bananas. I'd pass on them if that were the 'per bunch' price, however if we're talking truckload/container pricing, I'd start a produce business and buy the lot. It's all relative.

JAX area of Florida ~$10-16/foot/month. If you go further out you may find cheaper. Green Cove Springs is $7/ft/month. Some allow live-aboards. Electricity is usually extra but water is included. A lot depends on what you're looking for. You sometimes get what you pay for.

Seems all I'm finding is 10$ ft on southern east coast, any ideas on decent lower cost marinas southeast coast US?...

Pick your area and then use Craig’s list. We posted once that we were looking for a slip. An owner had the dock space but no boat to fill it. His dad had a house boat on the other side. It was one of better dockage experiences. We became good friends with the family and stayed in touch after we left.

There seem to be quite a few empty docks in front of houses. A few owners are looking to fill them. It sounds like you’re not a year round liveaboard which may make things more attractive for a dock owner. Good luck on your search.

We pay $250/month for a 60' covered slip in a marina that's only 8 years old, and that includes water.

Wow...of course prices are all over the map.

Like buying a house....lots of choices and price ranges and reasons to live there or not.

Marinas like comparing apples to apples is not all that easy.

You have marinas and you have marinas but prices in California or Massachusetts won't really mean much for you.

Figure out where you want to keep your boat, get on Active Captain and check the rates. If long term rates aren't posted, call them on the telephone.

I'll bet you'll get a good price at Kilkenny Marina in GA.

You have marinas and you have marinas but prices in California or Massachusetts won't really mean much for you.

Figure out where you want to keep your boat, get on Active Captain and check the rates. If long term rates aren't posted, call them on the telephone.

I'll bet you'll get a good price at Kilkenny Marina in GA.

Wow, thank you for all the replies, I knew about new bern but did not know about Jacksonville or Kilkenny Ga, I'll be sure to check them out, big thanks again!

In the PNW. I don't know your area, but marinas/ports that cater to commercial fishing usually have cheaper rates. Often the docks aren't as nice, no babysitters, etc. Sometimes you can find a private dock, I usually do. Just paid a months dockage, $400 for an 83' boat. Electricity, no water (but I make my water), no internet, no laundry, but have that, too. In a yacht harbor I'd pay $800-1000 or more. About $500/month If I stay in a slip in a commercial port. One is $600, but free power, water and internet. Less expensive dockage is out there if you look and you're not fussy.
I can remember paying 50¢ foot, but that was long ago.

Just across the Pacific, we pay $17.50 per foot per month, including water and electricity. But that`s cheap,because there are 5 marinas within a bulls roar of each other, some other marinas charge half as much again, or more. AUD of course, so around $14 USD.

At our home port (Seabrook, Texas) we spent $12 per foot per month for a covered slip. We’re cruising the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers, where we’re finding about $10 to $12 per foot on monthly rates or $1 per foot per night on less than weekly rates.

Just across the Pacific, we pay $17.50 per foot per month, including water and electricity. But that`s cheap,because there are 5 marinas within a bulls roar of each other, some other marinas charge half as much again, or more. AUD of course, so around $14 USD.

Much cheaper on this side of the continent, Bruce.
Mine's just gone up to $7/ft (about USD$5/foot) including power, water and secure parking.

Last edited:
We pay $10ft/mo and find it very objectionable. But it is covered moorage.

Have you heard the term:
Looking A Gift Horse In The Mouth? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

$185 per foot in Boston. Plus electric and environmental fee.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom