Okeechobee - Across vs Around?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Rive

Vessel Name
currently boatless
In the next day or two we will cross Lake O. AT our cruising speed it's about a 3 hour straight shot or 4 hours around the south edge. We did the direct crossing eastbound in February, so I am thinking the longer trip around the edge would give the admiral and I something to look at. The extra hour does not matter, and water depths are very high.

Is there anything I should know about the southern route?

David

You should check the LNM about the work being done to the dike along the rim and call the numbers given for the various projects for the latest advice. See pages 54&55:
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/lnms/lnm07412017.pdf

Other than that, the lake is deep right now, and strictly in my opinion as boring a trip as ever regardless of route, the lake part at least.

Depending on the wind, be more diligent about watching for debris (tree branches etc) as it tends move towards the shore. Would also check active captain for any new hazzards.

Ted

David, We did it a couple years ago on a friends' Kadey Krogen with a 5' draft, but i see depth now should not be an issue and i know your draft is less.
The southern route is likely more interesting than straight across, though its still not a lot to look at. There was a fair number of gators when we went; both in the water as well as sunbathing on the banks periodically. So keep your eyes peeled and you might get a good photo op of a gator :)

David, We did it a couple years ago on a friends' Kadey Krogen with a 5' draft, but i see depth now should not be an issue and i know your draft is less.
The southern route is likely more interesting than straight across, though its still not a lot to look at. There was a fair number of gators when we went; both in the water as well as sunbathing on the banks periodically. So keep your eyes peeled and you might get a good photo op of a gator :)

Used to be a whole scad of gators right there as you approached the Moore Haven lock. Been awhile since we've been by there.

Back
Top Bottom