BC & SE Alaska rain events

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Check out the weather satellite image of the North Pacific Ocean from this morning. (Don't know how to take a 'screen shot' so it'll change as time goes along).

https://weather.gc.ca/satellite/satellite_anim_e.html?sat=goes&area=pac&type=1070

I've never seen a system stretch right across the whole north Pacific before. Usually our big rain events stretch in a long column from around Hawaii to BC or SE Alaska; we call them pineapple expresses around here.

Could "The Blob" (an abnormally warm body of water that has persisted in the north Pacific Ocean for several years) be a contributing factor?

Will be interesting to see if we have another long cold winter up here like last year, if Vancouver gets our snow again, and if California gets Vancouver's winter rains...

Last edited:
Just clicked the animation button and it looks to be drifting south to California. Good news for the fire situation, but bad for slopes with vegetation removed...and I hope they put a little work into that dam which almost blew last winter.

Murray: I saw on a NOAA site recently that they are talking about a La Niña starting this fall going well into the winter. The prediction is to be wetter than normal for guys. Maybe it’s starting early?

Last edited:
Actually we’ve had a relatively dry September-October up until now. Our local creek is still just a trickle. It’s supposed to rain all next week though.

Yes, NOAA is predicting a La Niña event, but it is uncertain what that means to the local rain and snow pack this year. It can be quite variable with La Niña.

Here are some screen prints from Windy.com This first is from this Tuesday....
Windy_1.jpg

The second from next Thursday...
Windy_2.jpg

and look at this monster cyclone sitting off the coast of Japan. This is from Next Tuesday.
Windy_3.jpg

Actually we’ve had a relatively dry September-October up until now. Our local creek is still just a trickle. It’s supposed to rain all next week though.

Yes, NOAA is predicting a La Niña event, but it is uncertain what that means to the local rain and snow pack this year. It can be quite variable with La Niña.

JD,
Yes but on a good note I think (except for one day) that week of rain may not amount to much rain.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom