Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A case of having way too much money and wanting to impress the neighbors.
Don't forget to add in the cost of a crew.

I have never ridden a wave piercing boat.
Low tide, you can clean the bottom of your own boat.
For the price they are asking, it might be worthwhile to investigate shipping it to the US.
It did mention the 'legs and engines' recently overhauled. I wonder if there is some structural design problems with the "legs" or was it just a traditional bottom job.

Love the bit in the video at 2.26 with the water oil splashing around in the hull under the green things .That alone would put me off

WHY have trawlers not considered jet drives? Not to go 200 mph but, a leisurely speed of 10 or 15 knots.

Video of it piercing some waves would have been more interesting, preferably without soundtrack.

WHY have trawlers not considered jet drives? Not to go 200 mph but, a leisurely speed of 10 or 15 knots.

Id say because my 330 Cummins IG32 with prop dose around 9 knots at 1500rpm 10 liters a hour and a jet drive would be more like 2000rpm @ 25 liters per hour

Bonnie Belle; a classic beauty we passed just outside of Klemtu, BC

Attachments

• Bonnie Belle, Klemtu, 2017.jpg
    Bonnie Belle, Klemtu, 2017.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Corazon, Badger, and a couple other riff-raff budget conscious boats happily tied to the breakwater floats in Shearwater, BC.

Corazon was built from hand sawn logs on a beach in Sointula, BC.

Attachments

• Corazon, Badger, Shearwater, 2017.jpg
    Corazon, Badger, Shearwater, 2017.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 144
Another of Corazon...the couple sailing her were in their sixties (maybe their seventies) and were snug as bugs in little Corazon. Must be but a mere speck off Cape Caution...

Attachments

• Corazon, Shearwater.jpg
    Corazon, Shearwater.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 132
Met this one coming out of Mussel Inlet, BC...picking magic mushrooms maybe?

Attachments

• Colourful Sailboat.jpg
    Colourful Sailboat.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 147
Smorgasbord of interesting boats, Shearwater, BC

Attachments

• Commercial Boats, Shearwater.jpg
    Commercial Boats, Shearwater.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 132
Met this one coming out of Mussel Inlet, BC...picking magic mushrooms maybe?

Hmmm, a very interesting color hull. He must have experienced a near miss (collision) with an inattentive boater.
I did see a charter sailboat painted international orange. The owner said, he wanted to be seen in the ocean.
IMO, both colors will increase the chances of being seen, most definitely.

Corazon, Badger, and a couple other riff-raff budget conscious boats happily tied to the breakwater floats in Shearwater, BC.

Corazon was built from hand sawn logs on a beach in Sointula, BC.

I love hanging out with the riff-raff. [emoji23]. That big pilothouse ketch on the end looks pretty spiffy.

Your cruising grounds are stunning up there above the 49 parallel.

The double-ended Corazon with the aft-mounted rudder is a classy looking boat.

Last edited:
Re: "...which one are you going to spend more time thinking about..."

I had a beautiful little vintage Audi once. I had a beautiful girlfriend at that time as well.
They were very similar...an absolute blast when everything was working, but constantly breaking down and needing to go in for an expensive tune-up.

I'm still thinking about that Audi. I wish I could remember her name...

Great one :dance::facepalm:

old dan1943

the avatar is my boat
she is :- 8mtrs x 2.5mtrs x 1500 kgs x 20 h.p. Yanmar

The question to eric was why he considered the cat 'dumb' as he generally explains things fully.

I just really liked the impression of stability at speed in the rough stuff and the ability to anchor and not be freaking out about tides. (I have just returned from boating in huge tides) and can tell you a story or 3.

Last edited:
old dan1943

the avatar is my boat
she is :- 8mtrs x 2.5mtrs x 1500 kgs x 20 h.p. Yanmar

The question to eric was why he considered the cat 'dumb' as he generally explains things fully.

Looks very nice. What is the brand?

bogran wrote;
"The question to eric was why he considered the cat 'dumb' as he generally explains things fully."

Sorry it was a dumb word to use. But the thing dosn't look like a boat. It looks more like a bug (water slimmer) than a boat. A contraption.
OK I should admit I'm not keen on catamarans. Don't see any need for more than one hull. I see them as medicine for those paranoid about stability.
A trimaran seems to have some merit but cats have their forces and mass spread out too far and hence require a great deal of structure to keep the two hulls in place. Too much of a penalty. Just an opinion not well thought out but I don't think it's worth much effort.

Smorgasbord of interesting boats, Shearwater, BC

Good Lord Murray, what was the call for that many boats in Shearwater? Asked as I have passed Bella Bella many times on the ferry and while it is bit away, there has never been any indication of fishing fleets of that nature or size. Trollers, yes on occasion in view, not that many gillnetters.

The "Bonnie Belle" Is that another ex-Canadian forestry or fisheries boat? Appears in design to be. Always wonderfully designed and constructed boats.

The "Corazon" was a feature in the Wooden Boat magazine years back. The folks built two or three boats from beach combed logs. Hard to do now with the timber industry not providing convenient logs, that and barging what is logged today. Heck of a story.

Thanks for the pictures, really relate to the older boats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom