TT35 at the Annapolis Boat Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to see how it performs in seas. I like the concept of an outboard trawler, but keep wondering on a 35' boat do those smaller outboards come prop out of water or will the powerheads take a dunk. I know we've not talking a passagemaker here, but if you get caught in an afternoon thunder storm squall on Chesapeake Bay, what happens in 4 to 5' seas?

Ted

Hundreds if not thousands of outboard powered vessels venture out every day in big seas. Been there done that in conditions that would have many "trawlers" running for cover. Grady Whites come to mind. BC and Alaska aluminum charter fishing vessels venture offshore every day with a couple of 300s purring away and a 9.9 for trolling.

Last edited:
With the speed of this boat, wouldn't it be able to outrun the swell and not get pooped?

Or maybe that Chesapeake chop is too steep to go much over hull speed. I've never experienced it so don't know.

Can't speak to that particular boat's performance...

But I can say sometimes the chop here can be extremely uncomfortable. Not so much height, although higher is "worser," but the wave period is often very short... complicated by confused seas as from waves and wakes bouncing back and forth across the Bay.

We've been rocked by -- as near as I can figure -- residual (returning) wake from a ship that went by "45 mins ago" even after quartering into their first wake as it went by...

Anyway, three foot seas (doesn't sound like much) when it's wind against tide can really jar your teeth. Not necessarily horribly unsafe if the boat isn't broadside to, or burying the pulpit either from direct wave action or caused by heavy following seas. Four and five foot seas aren't common, but not unheard of, further south from us here... good time to be off the water.

But mostly none of that happens without decent warning, or at least some forecasted weather hints.

-Chris

Here's one you missed.

25% of the posts in this thread alone are negative and written by someone with an obvious agenda.

It's called pattern recognition.

One clanging drum can change to tone of the entire thread.

Take a break from the negativity and enjoy life. We know your feelings after the first post expressing them. Not sure why the drum must be continually beat. Afraid we didn't read the previous post?

Hundreds if not thousands of outboard powered vessels venture out every day in big seas. Been there done that in conditions that would have many "trawlers" running for cover. Grady Whites come to mind. BC and Alaska aluminum charter fishing vessels venture offshore every day with a couple of 300s purring away and a 9.9 for trolling.

Sunchaser,
Long narrow boats (think canoe) tend to lift their ends out of the water. Especially on a short chop and especially w weight in the stern ... like say a big heavy 4 stroke OB engine. I usually lean toward narrow boats and was pleasanly supprised at how my fairly short/fat Willard took the seas. She rises up to a headsea smartly whereas long boats are sluggish to do so. Also the further away the ends are the harder the rudder needs to work to address potential broaching.

But re the boat in question being an OB the propeller is small and behind the boat. A better formula would be a prop deeper and further fwd ... like most inboard boats. But this observation dosn't apply much to short/wide boats. Most modern boats are short/wide. The one in question though is long and narrow.

One clanging drum can change to tone of the entire thread.

Take a break from the negativity and enjoy life. We know your feelings after the first post expressing them. Not sure why the drum must be continually beat. Afraid we didn't read the previous post?

Well, I'd stopped but since people keep asking questions. Now for some facts since my posts in this thread are being misrepresented.

Post #4, asking Henry D or others if they had information on the boat that would be at the show or whether any of the boats would be colors other than white.

Post #6, responding to ranger who said he didn't see them on the show website. I pointed out where they were shown.

Post #11, responding to Donsan and it was negative as to the time they've taken.

Post #13, saying they should have one do the loop and promote like Beneteau did.

Post #16, one sentence following Benthic's post.

Post #19, informing Larry M they did do a sea trial.

Post #23, two words, wordplay on name of company. Humor

Post #38, answering sean's question on wide load.

Posts #39 and 41, discussing beam with Donsan where there was conflicting information in his post.

Post #43, my wife observing that it's not likely a boat you'll be trailering all the time.

Post #45, responding to Bob Cofer's question. Explaining my views on the boat which were not and are not hate for the boat itself.

Post #51, answering sunchaser on who might test it.

No more posts after than until this one, responding to you. Post #65, I'd guess.

I'm accused of turning this thread negative. Yet, only two negative posts, #11 and part of #45, both responding.

So, two negative out of 65 posts in the thread? And the only thing said negatively was regarding their delivery promises. Should we all just sit back and praise the wonderful boat and not point out those issues? There are some here with many posts praising them. No balance allowed? Why don't you ask the buyer of hull #1 how she feels? Funny how there have been more posts talking about my negative posts in this thread than there have been actual negative posts.

Now, once again, unless questioned, I'm out of this thread. I'll let the builder's friends have the thread. I felt there should be some balance to the discussion.

Now, carry on. Leave me out of the discussion and I'll stay out of this thread. The facts of this thread though are some negative in Post #11 and then clarification with positive and negative in post #45 responding to Bob Cofer.

BandB - Don't think you need to defend yourself. Almost all your comments and opinions have been spot on. Unfortunately, no one from GH or the buyers have really stood up to tell us what was going on and even with a boat on display there is limited transparency. Certainly that will change in the future.

In defense of GH, I do believe the Seapiper was announced long before the TT35 and we have even more limited info on that boat and unaware of it making it to a major boat show yet.

The issue here isn't love or hate, positive or negative, it is the lack of transparency from GH.

Here's one you missed.

25% of the posts in this thread alone are negative and written by someone with an obvious agenda.

It's called pattern recognition.

Ya it's too bad....Being negative is easy. Before We bought our Great Harbour GH47 in 2013, I saw the same kind of post in a thread about Great Harbour's and the guy tried to argue that Great Harbour's are made of steel (he had actually never been on one of the boats) and he was unknowingly, in a thread arguing with one of the participants who happen to be the boat builder. I laughed so hard I had tears.

Having now owned a Great Harbour for 4 years and booking many thousands miles operating the boat, I appreciate the workmanship and how well thought out the boats designs really are. We have also chartered an N37 and a N47 before we purchased ours, but we love all the room on the GH47.

When it's time to downsize the TT35 will be one on our list! The mobility of the footprint and weight makes transport to different cruising locations a real option!

I haven't seen one in person and it came out a little more slab sided than I expected. The stateroom also looks a bit tighter than I thought.

However, it looks like the TT35 has a lot of advantages compared to a "normal" trawler. OB powered and reasonably trailerable are the two things that get my attention. The rest is gravy.

I have a C-Dory 22 and the TT35 is pretty much a larger, better outfitted version of that boat.

The only thing I don't care for is the price. Maybe someday.....

Probably no worse than all the various outboard-powered CCs and cuddies and so forth... and the afternoon thunderstorms usually come with enough warning. (Realize not always, of course, but we're rarely caught by surprise.)

Those other styles would likely get folks off the water faster, but that's usually the course of action when the chop here gets that bad. That includes us, too! :)

-Chris

Apparently I need to explain this better.

This isn't like hundreds of thousands of other outboard powered boats because it 35' long. The longer the boat, the more the bow and stern rise and submerge going over a wave.

This boat is very light. As such, it's going over most of the wave and not through it.

This boat is very shallow draft. There was mention in the sea trial about raising the outboards to improve speed.

Combine all of these and you should wonder whether the props are coming out of the water going into 4' seas. Now I realize the term trawler means different things to different people, but a 35' trawler ought to be able to negotiate 4' seas in a pinch.

Ted

I suspect some boats announcements and designs are 'concept boats', exploring the market prior investing in the tooling.

The builders read the comments, positive and negative, trying to figure out how to make their boat more marketable.

Example: what has been the market response to composting toilets or V-berths

And if we were to compare the boat market to the car market. If everyone was satisfied with one design, there would be only one car manufacturer and that company can control the design, features, quality and price. There is not and will never will be 'one boat fits all.'

Many times we just have to suck-up the negative comments, move forward, striving to improve.

Off topic but I hope the water level goes down for those attending the APBS Sat and Sunday. Water was over the bulkhead tops with people walking on pallets to stay dry!!!

Come on guys. We’re here for conversation and I think to talk about the GH35? Please?

IMO, the TT35 is an interesting concept. The idea of being trailerable and the use of outboards has been around for awhile. The application of both of a trawler-like boat, I do believe has been around for a while too.

The outboard motors... has both the redundancy of a 2 engine while allowing for the easy upgrade or replacement of the engines.

The starboard rendering does not appear to scale for the outboard motors.
The single head is aft on the port side which is great for day time but, if one has guests onboard, a night visit by the owners can destroy the guests' privacy. At least provide a privacy curtain for the guests' berth.

I am going to make the assumption, the outboards are diesel. Carrying around 135 gallons of gasoline is not my idea of fun.

There is no mention of a generator nor A/C. I again I am guessing the bilge area is about 2 to 3 ft deep, which limits the placement of water tanks, water heater, sanitary tank, house batteries and the traditional A/C installation. Personally, placing a reverse cycle A/C unit on the roof of the pilot house is, IMO, not the answer.

Again, all I have to go on are the conception renderings.

My comments are not intended to be negative but rather, questioning for further detail.

I will withhold my further opinion until I see actual photographs, test result and the opinions of those who physically walked and inspected the interior.

Overall, I find this to be a very interesting concept, worthy of further investigation.

They are gasoline outboards.

OldDan1943 - composting toilet is an option, to try and conserve water usage. I know they are putting Vacuflush on some boats at owners request.

The outboards are gas.

The boat has a RV style air cooled AC unit.

Last edited:
It looks like a bigger spin off of a Blue Jack home build design. The cabin is similar to what I plan to build on my boat. I would prefer to have a single diesel stern drive or straight diesel inboard. I would be happy to be able to get up on plane in certain situations but it's not really what I would choose. I am happy chugging along at hull speed getting good gph burn rate.

http://bluejacketboats.com/boats/
fast-cruise-2.jpg

Don't think those are available here in the US.

OldDan1943 - composting toilet is an option, to try and conserve water usage. I know they are putting Vacuflush on some boats at owners request.

The outboards are gas.

The boat has a RV style air cooled AC unit.

RV style? As in, on the roof? How do they distribute the A/C and heat to the owner's cabin?

Vacuflush or manual pump is better than a composting head, IMO.

Not really my preference, but you see composting heads in some other trailerable boats, although they are general mods made by the owners. Advantages are longer cruise times without have to pump out and the waste tank can be replace with an additional fresh water tank.

Jim

I visited one boat with a composting toilet.... I think the owner went "nose blind."

Apparently I need to explain this better.

This isn't like hundreds of thousands of other outboard powered boats because it 35' long. The longer the boat, the more the bow and stern rise and submerge going over a wave.

This boat is very light. As such, it's going over most of the wave and not through it.

This boat is very shallow draft. There was mention in the sea trial about raising the outboards to improve speed.

Combine all of these and you should wonder whether the props are coming out of the water going into 4' seas. Now I realize the term trawler means different things to different people, but a 35' trawler ought to be able to negotiate 4' seas in a pinch.

Didn't mean to seem argumentative, earlier. I understood your first comment about potentially finding props out of the water.

Just meant to say sea states up here don't always (or even usually) cause unmanageable problems... given ports, or at least gunkholes in a pinch, are usually nearby and given forecasting (such as it is) can guide cruising decisions. Latter assumes scheduling freedom, of course...

-Chris

OldDan1943 - the following is a list of options cut and pasted from the TT35 specs website which should address some of your questions.

16,000 BTU marine air conditioning/heat and 3kw Honda Generator, remote start

Custom hull color

Upgraded Garmin electronics suite ( radar, autopilot, & AIS)

Electric marine toilet with holding tank, deck discharge & discharge pump

Retractable bow thruster

Overhead dinghy lift and stowage system

Dinghy package – 9’ hard-floor inflatable with 5 hp Suzuki outboard

Custom aluminum triple-axle trailer

Flat screen TV package with omnidirectional antenna and dockside cable input

Combo vented washer-dryer in master stateroom

Cockpit full isinglass enclosure w/ zip-out windows

1,000 watt solar panel system

Bottom Paint

Out Island Package with watermaker and built-in trash compactor

I'm planning on going to the Annapolis show tomorrow. If I do I'll get pics of the TT35 to share.

Hi Baltimore we will be there in the afternoon. Would love to meet you 860-885-8382.

Rob

Hi Rob:

We couldn't make it yesterday and may not today. But we are shooting for Sunday. Seeing the report about high water over the bulkheads, maybe it was for the best that we didn't get there yesterday!

- Darrell

OldDan1943 - the following is a list of options cut and pasted from the TT35 specs website which should address some of your questions.

Donsan, with those optional specs, it is a very well equipped boat. Is there ample storage room for a week or two worth of food? Gotta have a hanging locker for the queen and the owner.
It is so well equipped, who needs the trailer?
Put it in the water and head out.

I guess it is just me but, still do not like the idea of carrying that much gasoline.

One note: On the American Tug OAL 36ft, needs a larger hanging closet and more room for non-parashible food storage. Other than those 2 short comings, I love my boat but, not so sure my boat loves me.

When I checked out other diesel trawlers, one of the things I look to see, the fuel capacity. I am surprised that my twin 200 gallon (each) tanks are larger than many other trawlers, in the same class.

Per the props coming out of the water; I guess these folks have never been on a destroyer when its props come out of the water. Now that is exciting. CHUCKLE

I guess it is just me but, still do not like the idea of carrying that much gasoline.

Lots of gas powerboats out there with that much or more capacity. They made a few of our model with gas engines/genset... and our fuel tankage is 520 gallons...

No big deal, I think, assuming strict attention to gas-related precautions... and that's not quantity-driven.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom