How do you pass time on a long voyage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any pics of what the ball looks like on a boat?

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|135|2290132|22901

001181.jpg

Just imagine this hanging somewhere on a boat. Halfway up the mast of a sailboat would be good. Hanging from the bimini frame on your (or my) boat would be legal and protect you from that "maritime court" thing but would not be very noticeable.

As a practical matter, if I'm wondering if a boat is anchored, I just look for the rode stretched out in front.

Just as well the Russians have a decent setup called Glonass.

All my gear runs on it as well as US sat's.

Yep, for world wide coverage, the Russians have GLONASS, we have GPS, the EU has Galileo. In 2020, the Chinese will have BeiDou(Big Dipper).

The Japanese just launched their fourth satellite that will enable their regional GPS called QZSS(Quasi-Zenith Satellite System) which is the most accurate of the systems at under a meter. This will only cover East Asia though.

The Indians have their own GPS, IRNSS, which covers East Africa and East Asia.

Later,
Dan

Thanks Wes. I'll buy one this winter. Why is it called a ball?? Lol

Rule 3, part f....

I don't think a head call qualifies as "Not Under Command" nor does sleeping while underway.

You can buy a folding "black ball"

In 40 years on the water I could count on one hand the times I have seen them in use.
Always new shiney boats with I assume , just retired, newbs who just read the book at the wheel.

I should point out, black balls ain't worth sh1+ at night.
Without looking it up, 2 reds on the vertical I believe is the correct signal

Last edited:
In 40 years on the water I could count on one hand the times I have seen them in use.
Always new shiney boats with I assume , just retired, newbs who just read the book at the wheel.

I should point out, black balls ain't worth sh1+ at night.
Without looking it up, 2 reds on the vertical I believe is the correct signal

Black balls aren't designed for night. Lights are. Have no idea why you pointed out they're not worth anything at night. The purpose of them is that lights aren't worth a lot during the day time.

We do have black balls. We didn't just read the book though. It's such a simple rule to comply with. You get the collapsible/foldable balls. Been tempted to try black balloons, but then would need to carry helium. We don't anchor all that much.

Simi

It is a big world and there are different customs in different regions. The anchor ball is used frequently by pleasure boats in the Eastern Caribbean. Bay Pelican flys one at anchor.

It is also a source of trouble for those who are hit at anchor and aren't flying one. I am aware of a couple of cases where the offender denied liability based on the lack of an anchor ball on the anchored boat. As in any situation it doesn't matter who is right or wrong, just don't give the other side a strong arguing point.

Two red balls --red over red, captain is dead.

It also can determine how you react as the stand on vessel and dont have a clear view of tbe other vessels bow to see an anchor rode.

It is just plain courtesy on the water if nothing else.

Sure, in remote parts, not as big of a deal, but eastern US....it helps more than many think.

Last edited:
It also can determine how you react as the stand on vessel and dont have a clear view of tbe other vessels bow to see an anchor rode.

It is just plain courtesy on the water if nothing else.

Sure, in remotevparts, not as big of a deal, but eastern US....it helps more than many think.

And there are plenty of examples of props wrapped up in rode.

Bow riding should be illegal in the US but, 'those in the know' rely on boaters having common sense.

I guess it’s good that I’m not in Australia or the US when doing this then... I also pump gas while using my cell phone and sometimes don’t even shut of my engine.

Florida just changed the laws regarding this too so I guess I’m good while in Florida waters as well.

I’m sure none of you have ever sat on the bow of a dinghy while going through a harbor either...

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
BandB,

Cool, and I thought I was nuts. I've got a real nice electric piano that I'd consider taking, but can't figure out where to put it. It's only 75# and pretty skinny, but boat space is a premium......

Might consider a table top unit, but not sure what to get that really sounds like a piano.

A harmonica is a lot smaller! ;)

There's a dead sailboat anchored downriver from my marina. It has no black anchor ball and the Walmart garden light it was using for an anchor light has failed.

So according to the COLREGS, you must raise your anchor ball as soon as you anchor unless it's already dark and leave it up until you get underway the next morning unless you leave before sunrise. And don't leave it raised while you are underway.

As for the "maritime court" thing, I would like to think hat if you manage to run your boat into an anchored boat in broad daylight it would be pretty much your fault. I mean if you run into a floating log it would be your fault. Run into a dock and it's your fault.

If I can't tell if a boat is anchored, I pass behind it.

There's a dead sailboat anchored downriver from my marina. It has no black anchor ball and the Walmart garden light it was using for an anchor light has failed.

Is it anchored in a designated anchorage and under 20m in length? Is it under 7m in length? If so then it's actually still ok.

Is it anchored in a designated anchorage and under 20m in length? Is it under 7m in length? If so then it's actually still ok.

It is not in a designated anchorage, it's in the river. Out of the marked channel but directly in the path to the public boat ramp. I don't know the length but I would guess about 35-40'

It is not in a designated anchorage, it's in the river. Out of the marked channel but directly in the path to the public boat ramp. I don't know the length but I would guess about 35-40'

That's no little boat. Sounds like it needs to be reported to the authorities. Or the anchor line needs to part and it be guided to a nice empty spot on the beach.....

That's no little boat. Sounds like it needs to be reported to the authorities. Or the anchor line needs to part and it be guided to a nice empty spot on the beach.....

There's already one in the marsh that's visible at low tide but not at high tide.

This is a dumping ground for boats and the authorities don't seem to give it a high priority.

I’m sure none of you have ever sat on the bow of a dinghy while going through a harbor either...

:rolleyes:

Never.
Why would I do that when I have perfectly good seats inside the dinghy?

Never.
Why would I do that when I have perfectly good seats inside the dinghy?

I'm with Simi on this one. I would never allow anyone to ride underway as those two are, nor would I allow anyone to ride on the bow or a turbe of a dinghy or rib. And all this without PFD's.

Binoculars can turn up some interesting sights, even out in the open ocean. There happens to be marine life out there too. Sometimes it's of the two-legged verity doing private photo shoots. Just beware of the nudist cruises. :rofl:

Bow riding like pictured is extremely dangerous. And in many places here in the US, the water police and CG will pull you over and give you a talking to at the very least.

Coming out of the Marina, down the ICW, moving at idle speed I am ok with passengers on the swim pads.

Before we get near the inlet - everyone moves back off the bow. If need be happy to stop the boat and hold to move bow passengers safe comfortable passage back into more controlled areas.

Common sense should prevail.

Yea,

Agreed that underway, folks should not be on the box, especially with feet dangling. I don't care about FL changing the law, I still do things my way.

No one riding on the bow... BUT at idle out of the waterway, have at it. But anyone that can't swim and kids must have a pfd ON.

Overall, I don't like laws and being told what to do, but we half to be responsible for our passengers.

Coming out of the Marina, down the ICW, moving at idle speed I am ok with passengers on the swim pads.

Just make sure the kids on the swim pads are not being exposed to engine exhaust. A coworker was sitting on the rear of a ski boat with her child while the boat was idling. The child passed out and fell into the water. Thankfully, the kid was wearing a PFD and the mother was able to quickly grab the child and pull her back on board the boat. No PFD and it might have been a different story.

The child passed out because of exhaust fumes. The mother was not affected by the exhaust since she was far enough away and did not realize that the child was breathing fumes...

Later,
Dan

Before we get near the inlet - everyone moves back off the bow. If need be happy to stop the boat and hold to move bow passengers safe comfortable passage back into more controlled areas.

Huge difference between that and dangling over the bow.

Back
Top Bottom