View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #3
BruceK
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
For me, battery charging is something I do when I run the genset for some other purpose. Like running some 240v appliances,running the eutectic fridge compressor,for hot water etc. Generators are best run loaded, I doubt battery charging is enough load, you risk glazing the cylinder bores. Mine often gets run early morning/late afternoon.
The generator is sending amps to a battery charger which will sense when the batts are full, it`s easy to get them to about 80%, the last 20% takes a long while. The reduced charge will reduce the load on the genset. You may as well charge both banks, especially if the charger has 2 bank charging.If those batts are flooded types you can top up, check them regularly if using the charger, you`ll soon get how much water they use.
It`s a crude method, but 12.6v or above, without any charge input, is effectively full. There are State of Charge (SOC) meters. You could also use a multimeter to take the voltage at the batts, but allow time,?1/2 hour, after charging. A load tester you can get cheaply on ebay, will help too.
Fortunately there are others much more knowledgeable about electrics who will come to your help.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote