How do you pass time on a long voyage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Guests. Especially younger as in upper teens and 20 something girls...Misbehaving with hubby.

You never cease to amaze me! :popcorn:

You never cease to amaze me! :popcorn:

Wifey B: That's my job. :rofl: Seriously, bringing younger people into your lives, spending time around them, they bring so much energy. :dance: And I love their attitudes.

One other thing that happens with us sometimes is typically someone or some two will decide to really go all out with a fancy dinner preparation. They might spend hours in the galley when if we were at a marina we'd be out doing things. :)

We even do karaoke on long trips. :)

Headed out across Lake e Erie this morning to see how far I could get, aft 3 hr at 8 knots I turned around back to the home port. How do you pass time day after day week after week?

If three hours on a boat bores you, perhaps boating isn't the best hobby for you.

To get real, most of us run the boat for much of the day and then do something like go ashore and explore towns or anchor and explore in our dinghies. We aren't motoring day after day, week after week. Each day is a new adventure.

Wifey B: That's my job. :rofl: Seriously, bringing younger people into your lives, spending time around them, they bring so much energy. :dance: And I love their attitudes.

I could not agree more! Seriously, all kidding aside.

If three hours on a boat bores you, perhaps boating isn't the best hobby for you.

To get real, most of us run the boat for much of the day and then do something like go ashore and explore towns or anchor and explore in our dinghies. We aren't motoring day after day, week after week. Each day is a new adventure.

Good point. Our most recent cruising in terms of how many hours a day on the days we moved. 4, 11, 8, 7, 7, 7, 8, 4, 7, 5, 6, 3, 8, 4, 11, 9, 13, 7, 6, 4, 7, 2, 6, 9, 8, 6, 2, 10, 4, 7, 10, 10, 3, 5, 4, 11, 8, 2, 10, 4, 3, 3, 3, 6, 2, 6, 10.

Headed out across Lake e Erie this morning to see how far I could get, aft 3 hr at 8 knots I turned around back to the home port. How do you pass time day after day week after week?
I would hope that whomever was at the helm was keeping a proper lookout ... that's one way to pass the time on a long voyage... say after day ... week after week ...

Ah yes, the perfect USCG world....
I do believe the helmsman must not have any other duties other than guiding the boat verifying it is being operated in a safe manner.
The lookout shall not be distracted from his duties, watching for approaching traffic or hazards.

How many folks carry the black ball?
Based upon the size, I think if I hoisted one, my boat would become top heavy, roll over and show the world its red bottom. SHRUG

Last edited:
When I drove always had satellite radio to keep those 600 plus miles a day entertaining.

I know on a boat maybe the same. Ill play with the ham radio as well I feel.

Who knows how to please me better then me?

Hahaha!

Yea but that rolling over and falling asleep afterwards can be a hazard to safe navigation.

Last edited:
"I would hope that whomever was at the helm was keeping a proper lookout ... that's one way to pass the time on a long voyage... say after day ... week after week ..."

For a sailboat with unlimited range ,Fine,,watch the self steering operate,

BUT most powerboats do not have the fuel for a voyage" day after day or week after week",

OR the required scantlings for extended blue water operation.

Most folks don’t realize that all you have to do to pass the time is cook yourself a nice big meal. Put the boat on autopilot and lay down and take a nice nap.

https://youtu.be/mtZJ__8PVDU

Most folks don’t realize that all you have to do to pass the time is cook yourself a nice big meal. Put the boat on autopilot and lay down and take a nice nap.

https://youtu.be/mtZJ__8PVDU

Isnt that what Joshua Slocum did when sailing around the world? :D

One of those must read books for cuisers so many people suggest......:socool:

"I would hope that whomever was at the helm was keeping a proper lookout ... that's one way to pass the time on a long voyage... say after day ... week after week ..."

For a sailboat with unlimited range ,Fine,,watch the self steering operate,

BUT most powerboats do not have the fuel for a voyage" day after day or week after week",

OR the required scantlings for extended blue water operation.
Here's an idea .... how about keeping a proper lookout no matter how long or short the voyage?

May be just me but I find that during the day it gets boring on open water and I read, listen to tapes or talk. Been known to work on the computer and even small repairs. By open water in this context means deep water a mile or more from land and rarely another boat. In this situation I can see another boat 15 minutes before any close approach.

At night it is different, too many things to check to ever get bored. Need to keep watching the water directly in front of the boat, the radar, the chart plotter, the gauges, the lights of other boats etc. I am usually tired after a three hour watch in the dark.

Many definitions of a proper lookout...

Even the colregs add "by all means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions"....so it is not an absolute.

I was never much of a reader until a couple of years ago when I got a Kindle Fire. Now I use it to download books for free through my local library and an online library called Overdrive.

Since I got it I've read about 350 books...all for free...and I can just delete them when I'm done with them.

When cruising I usually keep one eye on the course ahead and one eye reading.

Proper lookout doesn't mean that's 100% all you do. It's easy to stand a proper look out.... Relax.

My open water watch standing comments may be a result of how few (almost never) fast boats we see offshore. At more normal cruising speeds we can spot a boat that may come close at 5 miles or more. At 7 kts for both it takes 15 minutes to close. Plenty of time.

The freighters are faster of course, but they are rarely on the same or intercepting course of the pleasure boats. When they are we watch them like hawks. I am thankful for AIS.

I never get bored while under way. I am doing an instrument scan, checking for traffic, listening to the VHF, keeping track of position etc... I may check in with TF, do some research on something with the boat, etc... I don’t read as I get too engrossed and it isn’t conducive to keeping an adequate watch.

12 hours under way, no problem. I love it.

With Murphy alarm gauges its lots easier to stand a watch , as viewing the engine instruments is not required.

Lots easier for guests too, as most know to call the captain with the Esso Maru fills the windscreen ,

but not how hot the tranny temp should be.

My open water watch standing comments may be a result of how few (almost never) fast boats we see offshore. At more normal cruising speeds we can spot a boat that may come close at 5 miles or more. At 7 kts for both it takes 15 minutes to close. Plenty of time.

The freighters are faster of course, but they are rarely on the same or intercepting course of the pleasure boats. When they are we watch them like hawks. I am thankful for AIS.

The freighters are faster????

The freighters are faster????

Can't speak to what Bay Pelican was describing, but...

Around here, many of the freighters can often beat us for speed, even when we're on plane. They usually go by us at somewhere between 16-22 kts in the open Bay... so if we're puttering along at 7 knots, yep, they're much faster.

-Chris

Any one have a piano on board to occupy their time?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom