How well do you sleep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Technically anchored vessels are supposed to have an anchor watch. But as a fisherman, almost nobody did. If traveling with another boat, we'd take turns getting up at anchor. We pick a quiet channel and turn the squelch & volume up so the radio would wake the sleeper.
Now, if I need to sleep, I pick a tight spot with little wind or current. If there's people on the boat, we take turns. I also set an anchor alarm that sounds thru the boat if we move a set distance. Plus I have a kinda burglar alarm.
But I'm near 70 and like a lotta old men have something to do every couple hours. So I'm up anyway and check the plot.

I don't sleep through the night while at home, even worse on the boat. Not having an anchor I have confidence in isn't helping either.

Although I'm quoting Nightsky here, it's only an example because I've noticed similar thoughts from a number of TF-ers. Many of us are less than confident in our ground tackle and the brands we use are all across the spectrum.
Anchors literally ARE something to lose sleep over!.

I know how to anchor, I've got high quality
anchors appropriate for the situation. I pay attention to the bottom, the weather forecast, etc and I STILL worry. I wake up, I lie there...nothing out of place. And yet in all but the calmest conditions I must get up and go check...confirm we are staying put...or I won't go back to sleep. It's really a PITA and perhaps a little irrational on my part.

Sound Sleep is in direct proportion to the quantity of Adult beverages. Hang around ASD and you tend to look for a govt. dock to tie up too.

That Tom will corrupt you!

PS. it helps to have a really good anchor you have great faith in. :hide:

This.

I sleep very well every night and I tend to park away from others.

Last edited:
Not having an anchor I have confidence in isn't helping either.

May be useful to start another thread, identify the anchor you don't have confidence in, examine from there...

Haven't had an anchor thread in the last 10 minutes or so...

:)

-Chris

................. I too haven't found a phone app for anchoring that I consider good or reliable. ..........

"Phones" are made for calling people and talking to them. Don't you have a chart plotter that you use for navigation? Doesn't it have an anchor drag alarm built in?

That's what I use. The few times it has alarmed, it was because I didn't set the distance correctly.

I usually sleep well at anchor. But then I use a big Rochna, 3/8" all chain with a minimum of 7 to 1 scope, use anchor alarms (wind, depth, and drag) and take the time to find good anchorages. Early in my cruising, on several occasions I made poor choices which mentally kept me from sleeping well (never had an actual anchor dragging problem). I sleep better away from the dock. No other boat, city or dock noise, and no worries about someone coming on my boat (happened to the boat next to me this summer). Hearing someone walking past my boat on a creaking dock at 3AM ruins my sleep for the rest of the night .

Ted

Last edited:
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet (I think) is once you buy your boat, it takes a little while until you know all of your boat's noises. The sump, the fridge, the ac units, dock lines, burgee flapping...etc. Once you know all of your boat's noises you don't wake up as much. Then when you buy the next boat, it happens all over again! :thumb:

There have been a few times in a crowded anchorage when I got up to...well...pee, and looked out of the salon, expecting to have the same view as when I went to bed. (Still groggy, usually due in part to self-medicating earlier.)
I have one of those Whiskey Tango Foxtrot moments where I can't immediately grasp the "revised view", but it's just from quietly swinging 180 degrees or so. Different lights on shore, different boats behind me...
Mr. Daniels loves to "jack" with me that way.

First night we spent at the anchor was not a good one. It was the first time ever we dropped the anchor so I was not sure it was correctly set. I was waking up every 2h to check. Finally everything was fine. Few anchorage later we spent a night in heavy wind, I was able to hear the noise of the rope under tension, and we did not move an inch. Now I sleep deeply and very well. Of course I know the anchorage where we are and know how strong the bottom is holding. May be different in an unknown place.

L

May be useful to start another thread, identify the anchor you don't have confidence in, examine from there...

Haven't had an anchor thread in the last 10 minutes or so...

:)

-Chris

OK, Chris... I'll bite... Regarding Anchors! :eek:

Cause after all... isn't it "anchor-holding capability" that is main reason boaters [Captains especially] feel need to often get up and check circumstances? However, if you want to it is U who must start the new thread!! I'll say my piece here...

As there are many well designed anchors; each capable of good holding capability. Seems pretty simple to me that the anchor, its rode material [type] and scope of rode boaters use should always be well larger than recommended for a particular size boat.

What your anchoring need comes down to:
1. Use an anchor larger than you need.
2. Use rode heavier-duty than you need.
3. Anchor in locations where more scope can be played out than you need.

Reason for doing those three needed anchoring particulars - because you need a good night's sleep!! :D

:popcorn: :speed boat:

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet (I think) is once you buy your boat, it takes a little while until you know all of your boat's noises. The sump, the fridge, the ac units, dock lines, burgee flapping...etc. Once you know all of your boat's noises you don't wake up as much. Then when you buy the next boat, it happens all over again! :thumb:

Yup, once learned, you can sleep sounder. A change in sound, wakes me quickly.
In my case, it helps mask that daymned ringing in my ears.

Most of us have a built-in anchor watch alarm anyway. It's called a prostate. ..............PS. it helps to have a really good anchor you have great faith in.
Boy, you got that right!:blush:

Not arguing Arts points but in general anchors aren't under-rated in terms of holding power.
In my experience it's more about proper setting, and the right design for the bottom conditions.

Personally I like a good length of chain and good rode for most applications but I'm not around a lot of abrasive bottom conditions- in that case I switch to all chain.

The rode is quiet and plenty strong. And I think it sets the anchor well...again, with a reasonable length of chain.

We sleep very well. I usually get up once a night to empty the bilge. We’ve haven’t dragged yet at anchor and trust our ground tackle. We’ve been at anchor in 35 kts overnight and been fine, but we did get up once. For sleep, I’d rather be at anchor than at the dock.

We sleep very well. I usually get up once a night to empty the bilge. We’ve haven’t dragged yet at anchor and trust our ground tackle. We’ve been at anchor in 35 kts overnight and been fine, but we did get up once. For sleep, I’d rather be at anchor than at the dock.

I've found... don't drink fluids for 1.5 to 2 hours before bed time and nighttime "bilge" emptying need not be accomplished.

I believe I'm understanding your cryptic verse??!! :ermm: :D

When we moved from a swing mooring to a marina we finally kept our water tanks topped up. The bow tank(there are 3 others) overflows to the bilge during filling. It does something similar when 2 people weigh on the bow in the fwd berth when the tank is full. I was up a few times `til I worked it out.
I think senses pick up "out of the ordinary" things, even when asleep, and can wake you, as easily as the need to "pump ships", as the saying goes.

Back
Top Bottom