Vent a day tank (diesel) to engine room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bay Pelican

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Bay Pelican
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
Is it permitted to vent a day tank to the engine room as opposed to outside the boat? This is a small 6 gallon diesel tank for the wing engine.

Is it permitted to vent a day tank to the engine room as opposed to outside the boat? This is a small 6 gallon diesel tank for the wing engine.

Why not tee it to another fuel tank vent?

Ted

Was thinking the same, not sure if that is legal either.....

....though havent sifted through all the dangers on my mind yet...

If it is a built in tank rather than portable I would want it vented outside somehow. My bride is very sensitive to diesel odors

John

"Permitted" or not, I would say it's a bad idea and I would not do it.

Adding a proper vent is not difficult or expensive.

Why not tee it to another fuel tank vent?

Ted

...because it could create a siphon from the main fuel tank to the day tank, if the day tank has any sort of negative pressure relative to the vent line. This could be a problem while filling the main tank. Under most circumstances this might not be a problem, but it just takes a series of combined steps and it could happen.

Jim

Possibly true but layout and vent routing may not cause that problem....

My tanks are vented into the engine room through a sump/trap. My situation is similar to a day tank, as the vents do not have to handle venting when filling. I fill with big caps right on the top of the tank, so any displaced air comes out next to the fill nozzle. Only things the vents do is handle tiny flows due to expansion and fuel burn.

I never smell diesel stink in the engine room.

I don't see a problem with it. And NO water gets in vents. Big deal there.

Might be legal or not, but I think the actual risk is very low.

A six gal tank for a wing engine sounds pretty tiny, but I guess as a day tank there is some method to fill from main tanks.

Last edited:
...because it could create a siphon from the main fuel tank to the day tank, if the day tank has any sort of negative pressure relative to the vent line. This could be a problem while filling the main tank. Under most circumstances this might not be a problem, but it just takes a series of combined steps and it could happen.

Jim
No. Not without a draw tube to the bottom of each tank. I'm at a loss to see how it could effect filling the main tank. My thought was to tee it in with a foot or so of the through hull vent. If there is fuel coming up there, you either have other problems or don't know when to stop filling.

Ted

A six gal tank for a wing engine sounds pretty tiny, but I guess as a day tank there is some method to fill from main tanks.

I fill this tank separately. What I am doing is isolating the wing engine from the current tank used by the main engine. I can refill from any one of the four tanks so if the main is down from bad fuel I should be able to continue for a while during which time I can switch tanks, polish fuel, change filters etc.

Here's A CUT AND PASTE from my manual ABYC H-33 Diesel Tanks and installations, just the high lights re venting

Legally Binding Document

By the Authority Vested By Part 5 of the United States Code § 552(a) and
Part 1 of the Code of Regulations § 51 the attached document has been duly
INCORPORATED BY REFERENCE and shall be considered legally
binding upon all citizens and residents of the United States of America.
HEED THIS NOTICE : Criminal penalties may apply for noncompliance.

1) b. The entire system shall be liquid and vapor tight to the hull interior.

2)d. Vent Line

(1) Minimum inside diameter of vent line shall be 7/16 inch (ll.llmm)(minimum hose
ID-9/16 inch (14.29 mm)) Each vent shall have a flame arrester that can be cleaned un- less the vent system is itself a flame arrester. Vent fittings that are removable are considered cleanable.

3)(2) Fuel vent lines shall be metallic or hose. Nonmetallic fuel vent hose, if used, must comply with the requirements for any of the hose types specified in ABYC H-33.10.e.(l).

4) Non-metallic hose shall comply with the performance requirements of the UL Standard
1114, dated April 13, 1987, or with the requirements of SAE J1527DEC85.

(a) Non-metallic hose shall be marked on the outermost cover with the manufac-
turer's name or trademark, year of manufacture, and

(b) Fire resistant hose capable of passing the 2-1/2 minute fire test in ABYC H-
33.5.g. must be marked "USCG Type Al or USCG Type A2".

Mine is not the latest copy so there could be and possibly are updated regulations,

Cheers Steve

That seems to answer the question of whether it is permitted to vent the tank to the engine room.

Odd that there is a provision for a flame arrester on a diesel installation.

We have an old metal 6 gal outboard tank that is filled with diesel.

This has a push pump for pressure built in .

It is great if finding an air leak in the fuel system .

Close the fuel tank valve and pressurize from the engine , and a tiny air leak becomes a dribble.

I would see no reason it could not be carried below as a wing engine tank , as no venting is required.

The flame arrester is listed because that is the ABYC specification for gas systems. Note that ABYC is an industry standard NOT the law.

Yet the poster indicates this is in reference to diesel tanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldnt find that overboard requirement in the USCG boatbuilding guide or a reference to it....and about an hour of research this morning in the CFRs/USCG sites.

The CFR that has that requitement is for T boats (commercial), and I easily found that.

Some ABYC "recommendations" have been incorporated into law, but not all.

Here is input from someone in the field....

"The legal requirement to comply with the standards cited in H33 regarding diesel fuel systems applies only to inspected vessels under Subchapter T (T-boats) or F (other inspected or certificated vessels) and do not apply to privately owned and operated recreational vessels.

That is not to say those standards are not a "best practice" but to say they are a legal requirement is misleading and may cause an owner to spend a great deal of money on needless modifications for no gain in safety or utility."

So I would be interested in a clear reference in the law.

Last edited:
I couldnt find that overboard requirement in the USCG boatbuilding guide or a reference to it....and about an hour of research this morning in the CFRs/USCG sites.

The CFR that has that requitement is for T boats (commercial), and I easily found that.

Some ABYC "recommendations" have been incorporated into law, but not all.

Here is input from someone in the field....

"The legal requirement to comply with the standards cited in H33 regarding diesel fuel systems applies only to inspected vessels under Subchapter T (T-boats) or F (other inspected or certificated vessels) and do not apply to privately owned and operated recreational vessels.

That is not to say those standards are not a "best practice" but to say they are a legal requirement is misleading and may cause an owner to spend a great deal of money on needless modifications for no gain in safety or utility."

So I would be interested in a clear reference in the law.

So would I! But this was cut and pasted from my copy of ABYC as is the following reference:

Based on ABYC's assessment of the state of existing technology and the problems associated with
achieving the requirements of this standard, ABYC recommends compliance with this standard by
August 1, 1990.

I did clearly point out my copy was out of date! as for the legality I didn't write it just cut and paste so suggest if you have the spare time you contact the US gov and check on who wrote it and take them to task over it:

Here you go Paul Scott below is from the manual and possibly a clear lead as to chase down re the legality QUOTE:Official Incorporator :

The Executive Director
office of the federal register
washington, d.c.

OK, its an ABYC reccomendation that has been incorporated into law.

Unless furnished with what law, it may or may not apply to us as recreational boaters. So posting it without the CFR reference, it is just confusing.

Even things that manufacturers have to comply with, once the boat is put into use, the owner can modify it out of that original compliance with only an insurer to deal with.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom