Automatic Fender System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Here's a new product that I found interesting. No need to put a crewmember on the bow for fender deployment for only a boat buck per pair.

That model fussing with the fender looks a whole lot better to me than a pile of polycarbonate.

Yeah - I'd rather have the "deckhand", me. My MCP coming out.

Most of our style of boats allow easy access to the bow. On boats without comfortable bow access or for an elderly couple when one lacks the agility required to access the bow safely, this could be a great.

Besides, how much is a boat buck in the big scheme of things. I think many elderly gentlemen will want to add this to their vessels to make it safer and more convenient for the Admiral while docking. Especially those who like gadgets like Codger2. :hide:

Oh, my Gawd! Shades of 'Atlantic Transmission' ("Don't get frantic, call Atlantic..."). The voice is truly grating.

Wow! Two motors! Cast PVC! In metal moulds! In Silicon Valley! You know it's good!

So whadda you save ... 3minutes a day? Ridiculous.

You need about 6 or 8 of those for a boat? I understand what they were after but looks like a fail to me.

I think many elderly gentlemen will want to add this to their vessels to make it safer and more convenient for the Admiral while docking. Especially those who like gadgets like Codger2. :hide:
hey! I resemble that remark! My latest gadgets are small 12-24v meters, (About 1¼" in diameter) I now can see the voltage on all three of my battery banks...at a glance!

House & engine start banks. & the bow thruster bank.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HO50AJE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Sorry about the orientation of the photos but I don't have a gadget or the know how to correct them.)

Attachments

• IMG_3140.jpg
    IMG_3140.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_3141.jpg
    IMG_3141.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 215
A solution looking for a problem.

Ted

Just something for the newbe to add to his list when buying the new boat. Yeah, I'll need a giant sceen chartplotter, I only sit at dock, a fish finder, since I don't fish, a generator and joy stick control, since I never leave the dock, and can I operate all of it from my I phone??

This is why pot should never be legalized.

"Dude! What if we could totally deploy our fenders while never leaving the helm and drinking wine? We could get rich!"

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The wasps and mud dauber around here would love that thing, all sorts of nooks and crannies to build in.

So you invest in the 'high end automatic fender system' and discover the dock has a different configuration and you need fenders in other places.

So you invest in the 'high end automatic fender system' and discover the dock has a different configuration and you need fenders in other places.

Some boats (like the one in the ad) have very poor bow access. I have been on friend's boats where the only access was through the windshield or the hatch in the V berth. I'm thinking these are what the product is intended for. Other fender positions are more accessible and wouldn't need this product.

Personally, I wouldn't buy them or have a boat with such poor access but they may or may not fill a need for some folks.

Hi Guys,
The product is not for large Trawlers with easy bow access. The product was designed for cruisers up to 45' as they have bad bow access. We have a 31' cruiser and the advantage is that we can take it easily to any restaurant on the Delta and cruise without burning too much fuel at 27 mph. It is a great cruiser, we love it but it has bad bow access. We are experienced cruisers, live on the water, in good physical shape and still deploying these fenders was our biggest hassle cruising. This is a great solution for cruisers up to 45' not so much for the big Trawlers or very large sail boats. Thanks, Sam

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
The product is not for large Trawlers with easy bow access. The product was designed for cruisers up to 45' as they have bad bow access. We have a 31' cruiser and the advantage is that we can take it easily to any restaurant on the Delta and cruise without burning too much fuel at 27 mph. It is a great cruiser, we love it but it has bad bow access. We are experienced cruisers, live on the water, in good physical shape and still deploying these fenders was our biggest hassle cruising. This is a great solution for cruisers up to 45' not so much for the big Trawlers or very large sail boats. Thanks, Sam

I can see the need in your specific boat, the Bayliner Ciera. I was trying to see what the difference in need vs. a boat like our 44' Riva or even a 33' Riva. It appears your windshield and helm are well back leaving you with a very long deck area. The Bayliner also maintains width quite forward. I then looked at Sea Rays in the same size range and their helms and windshields are further forward too. So, although we've never felt the need, I guess I can see why you would feel it on your boat. Still not something I can see installing on a boat but if it works on yours, fine. I think very few boats would see the need but even if it helps a few, then it's served a purpose. Perhaps one day I'll see some on a boat and having discussed them here, I'm sure I'll make sure I look closely.

Thanks for adding to the conversation, Sam. For those who don't know Sam, he is the inventer/manufacturer of the product.

I had that same boat as the one in the video (I think the 2' shorter model.)

The video was sort of weak on the details of the "magic" involved, so I won't comment on that. Presumably a demo would clear up those questions.

On that boat, I'd have at least two different types of fenders for the bow. Both would be MUCH larger than that device could handle. They'd be deployed in different locations depending on what I was tying to. So for me, this wouldn't be an option.

On that boat, you'd need two fenders in hard-to-reach areas along the bow and side, so that's four of these devices.

I like the way you can bring them up to the rub rail for rafting (or for a high wall or lock.) I like that they're solar powered. I like that they swing in or out as needed to stay out of the way.

And I like that the developer is willing to answer questions here. Thanks!

On that boat, I'd have at least two different types of fenders for the bow. Both would be MUCH larger than that device could handle. They'd be deployed in different locations depending on what I was tying to. So for me, this wouldn't be an option.

I wondered about size too. Is there a larger version or one planned? The size shown might be good for the lake but not so much for some coastal settings.

My first reaction was that it was a solution looking for a problem. That isn’t such a bad thing as I have done that a number of times.

Then I started to try and imagine my wife trying to go to the bow of that boat in the video and tie on fenders and I began to realize how nice it might be.

One issue is that for many of us we find the best place to store fenders isn’t necessarily the best place to deploy them.

On my boat, I used to hang a fender from the flybridge rail so it would hang about midway between the aft cockpit and the PH door. This was a bit of a hassle as it meant going up to the flybridge each time which was a bit of a hassle. This device would work well on my boat at that location and it would be completely out of the way.

Having said that... I wouldn’t choose to use on on my boat. I just place two fenders side by side in the stern and then the next one forward is just aft of the PH door. Works great and is easy.

I love to see innovation and hope they do well with the product.

Seems like the perfect keep up with the guy next door product.

If she says automatic fender one more time.... how silly. I imagined a air bag device for crash times

I love gadgets but I think Gaston has it right, FFS. Too expensive for the amount that would be required, does not fit all height situations without adjustments, something else to break, doesn't save much or any time as many people in our area never lift them up. Waste of money IMO but somebody is sure to buy them. :banghead:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom