Is this is the future?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyguy1967

Vessel Make
1984 Ponderosa 48 CPMY
From Mark Corke's site http://onboard.typepad.com/*here is a pretty cool little trawler that crossed the Atlantic.* I agree with Mark that this would be a great project.* Here is the link to the designer's website.* http://www.mayrik.com/HomeEnglP214.htm
download.spark

-- Edited by Flyguy1967 on Friday 9th of September 2011 07:23:53 AM

I thought Bulbous bows were not effective on boats under 30 Ft.

I wonder how that worked out for the builder. Was it really of any advantage.

On larger boats it really makes a difference.

I read about the Queen Mary a lenghtening of the bulbous bow gave about 5 or 6 knts on the overall speed.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 8th of September 2011 12:31:27 PM

It's a neat project. If my Admiral would give up the space needed for her shoes, it might even be practical for us. Very interesting.

Even at 1 gal/hr, how does it carry enough fuel for a transatlantic?

Relative to the boats the rest of you have Willy (my 30' Willard((see avitar)) is rather like this little boat. The boat crossed the Atlantic but it's hard to imagine a person that would ride along. Dosn't look like she has much or any ballast and the bottom is relativity flat. Must have windows from a space shuttle. Criticism aside it is a cute little boat and says a lot about how good a wide ass stern and flat bottom may be. The fact that it's not a full disp boat and it crossed the pond is astonishing in-itself but it does look like it is or could be a really practical boat for a person that's not really that strange. The bulbous bow looks like it's not really a full bulb* ...but a relatively narrow version that probably nets most of the advantages w little of the disadvantages. I wonder how any bulbous bow can stand the tremendous forces of slamming into big waves. Skipperdude, Bulbous bows on small vessels need to respond to the same laws of physics as do BBs on large vessels but displacement vessels of 22' are so short one's speed is pitifully slow, like about 4.6 knots. As you can see in the specs on this boat it is considerably faster than my Willy even though it's 8' shorter. I love boats out of the box and this little guy is definitely out of the box. I'll let someone else take it across the pond though.

Oh,** ...that first picture is distorted.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 8th of September 2011 05:22:39 PM

My first reaction was "that's a cork bobbing."* The second was "that's a cute cartoon boat."* The third was "how*does one keep sane with three or five*other companions in such tight quarters for more than half a day" considering it's claimed sleeping facilities (up to six with the stern cabin)?* The fourth was "how such a boat could cross the Atlantic with only 158 gallons of fuel in its tankage or otherwise be overloaded with fuel bladders, whatever."

Just as sailors use "Ocean Passages of the World" to keep fair winds astern,

a prudent marine motorist would use the pilot charts and OP-W to find the flat spots.

Of course no guarentees , but the "Horse Latitudes" are a good sea lane for a low fuel burn , flat water desirement.

Looks like about 3,400 n. miles from the Caribbean to France. I wonder how many mpg can be coaxed out of that configuration?
Seems he would need a bunch of drums or bladders strapped onboard.
Steve W.

I wonder how many mpg can be coaxed out of that configuration?

A genuine sailboat displacement hull will frequently burn 3/4 GPH at 6K (28 ft lwl) .

That is close to 9mpg .so 400 gallons might do the trick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom