Realistic top cruising speed for Nordic 42 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes - we would get fatigued sometimes , that was one of the reasons we would speed up so we were not on the water for longer periods in certain situations.
But we could always slow down if that was a better choice.

The following is just my opinion. Others will give you their opinons.
If you go slower, you may have to spend the night tied up at some interesting towns and get a good meal, off the boat. You can also get a good nights sleep.
Be prepared to leave at first light and be tied up while it is still light enough to see where you are docking, 5-6pm or earlier.

If you are traveling off shore at night, please have at least one other person as a look-out, feed you coffee, give you 30 sec for head relief.

Don't push the weather window either. Let's face it, you and your wife have the rest of your life be safe and enjoy life.

Last edited:
I have a car that can travel in excess of 120mph. I do not feel the need to drive that fast.
I get better gas mileage and fewer traffic traffic tickets when I drive slower.

Same way with a boat. Just because your boat can go 20 knots does not mean you need to go that fast. Relax, go slower, enjoy the experience.

Hi Old Dan,
You have a point but,
Cars have an abundance of power for good reason. They need it to accelerate to hwy speeds, even up hills. Cars can go 70mph up mountian passes.

Boats basically don't go up hills and there's no need to accelerate quickly. They only need enough power to maintain top cruising speed. Weather moves faster than boats but at times one can outrun weather but mostly no.

But many think it's necessary to go faster or much faster. And of course they can buy boats that do that ... but they can also pay the price. Even better would be to buy a boat that is designed to go fast. If you go fast a lot you should have a boat designed for it.

A good analogy I can appreciate as a swimmer:

If you slowly dog paddle, or walk across a pool, it doesn't take much energy and we can do it for hours.

Swim the same 25 meters, full out....a lot of energy is consumed, and we tire quickly.

Nomad Willy, yup, buy the boat that makes you happy.

You guys are funny! I'm enjoying reading all these posts about going slow or speeding. It is a mental problem..for me anyways...fast cars...fast boats...fast women...well, maybe not the last one.

We will be getting a Tug....we do day trips only since we have to be home with the "kids=pets" every night..unless we find a sitter...which is not likely. Our pets can not go on the boat since they will fly away.....or jump overboard...

If I can do 12knts I think I can get to where we want to go in 2 or 3 hours. We will be newbies in the PNW so everything is new to us. Gosh, last week we went over to Spencer Spit and I could have stayed there all day. That area alone is so much better than anything I have on the East Coast on the river.. And I know there are 2 million other mooring buoys for me to find... AND you guys have Salmon and Halibut to catch!!!

But, keep posting. If anyone can recommend another boat that has a similar floor plan to the 2000 NT with 2 staircases let me know!! It is a great setup for us.

MVP

The following is just my opinion. Others will give you their opinons.
If you go slower, you may have to spend the night tied up at some interesting towns and get a good meal, off the boat. You can also get a good nights sleep.
Be prepared to leave at first light and be tied up while it is still light enough to see where you are docking, 5-6pm or earlier.

If you are traveling off shore at night, please have at least one other person as a look-out, feed you coffee, give you 30 sec for head relief.

Don't push the weather window either. Let's face it, you and your wife have the rest of your life be safe and enjoy life.

Of course as I said we have gone slower - but we also have a choice to go faster and we did that as well. In our 30+ years worth of boating logs we sere that many times we have stopped at towns and places that most would never visit in their haste. And we often towed a larger RIB which made these adventures and explorations even more fun and interesting.
When we owned the two boats limited to about 7 knots we did not have too much of a choice and then later with other boats we did. Great to have a choice. And you mention the weather - oh yes the weather - and the weather forecasters which all of us long term boaters know will be wrong so many times. Even within maybe a one hour window - so when you can go faster you can react to the fun forecasts that sometimes are really way off. Helped us a bunch of times even in relatively sheltered areas.

MVP,
Check out a 36ft American Tug. I believe they are made in Washington somewhere. If you get an older one, it will be called a 34ft. Recently, they conformed with the rest of the marine builders and added in the swim platform to the OAL. If you are using it for weekends you will find the storage space more than adequate. It is one stateroom so you will have to duct tape one of your kids to the swim platform, the spare stateroom.
I suspect the company, TOMCO, has a few 'previous owned' American Tugs for you to inspect. Or you can ease into it by going to their website and search the local brokers.

You guys are funny! I'm enjoying reading all these posts about going slow or speeding. It is a mental problem..for me anyways...fast cars...fast boats...fast women...well, maybe not the last one.

We will be getting a Tug....we do day trips only since we have to be home with the "kids=pets" every night..unless we find a sitter...which is not likely. Our pets can not go on the boat since they will fly away.....or jump overboard...

If I can do 12knts I think I can get to where we want to go in 2 or 3 hours. We will be newbies in the PNW so everything is new to us. Gosh, last week we went over to Spencer Spit and I could have stayed there all day. That area alone is so much better than anything I have on the East Coast on the river.. And I know there are 2 million other mooring buoys for me to find... AND you guys have Salmon and Halibut to catch!!!

But, keep posting. If anyone can recommend another boat that has a similar floor plan to the 2000 NT with 2 staircases let me know!! It is a great setup for us.

MVP

Reactions: mvp
Beneteau Swift Trawlers can cruise at 20 kts all day if you are ok with 1 mpg. The 44 is particularly fast and also comfortable at 20-22 kts. My 34 runs all day at 19 kts for fast trips but I run it at 6 kts most of the time. 7 mpg at that speed. We use fast for going from Key West to Ft Myers (150 miles) on short winter days if we want to get there fast. It is nice to have that option.

Reactions: mvp
MVP,
Check out a 36ft American Tug. I believe they are made in Washington somewhere.

Good idea and Old Dan is correct. American tugs are built by Tomco marine located in La Conner, WA, its a fun place to visit but be very careful if you go to the factory... after visiting, potential buyers have been known to sell their homes and everything they own just to buy a brand new AT ;)
but seriously to MVP; if you haven't yet been on an American tug, i'd suggest you get on one to compare to the Nordic.
I like both companies but there are some key differences that are best experienced by climbing aboard...

I like both companies but there are some key differences that are best experienced by climbing aboard...

Very true. NT does some things better and AT does other things better. Having owned two NT's and having several friends who own AT's I will say that the quality of materials and finish of the interior wood in an NT is superior to an AT.

I would say if you have to return to home base each night, having speed becomes more important. I think the reason most of us cruise at ~9 kts +/- because it is relaxing. Depending on where you are, there can be lots of items in the water to avoid. Logs, deadheads, crab traps, etc. At a leisurely pace you just dodge around them. Going 20 kts it's more "holy f*** is that a deadhead? Hard to port Martha!"

And depending on the boat, you have the noise factor. Fuel burn isn't the only thing that goes up exponentially when you speed up.

In the summer months we have so many daylight hours, you can get to many places and still be able to return home. But I'd want a boat that could do say 16-18 kts if I wanted to, in your situation.

The difference and opinions of those who cherish slower boats Vs boats capable of more speed appears to be an ingrained preference. It is a little like driving a Prius C Vs. a Mini Cooper S. My wife drives the red Prius and revels in her 50/m/gal and I drive the grey Mini and love the paddle shifters and snappy acceleration and cornering and some times we switch. And when we need more room there is the seven seat 4 wheel drive Toyota Hylander. Sometimes you can find a boat or car that crosses all the needs not perfectly but well enough. The SD hull properly powered can satisfy most but probably not the die-hard purists.

"Going 20 kts it's more "holy f*** is that a deadhead? Hard to port Martha!""

That really made me genuinely laugh - thank you!!

I guess you would be very uncomfortable at 40 knots then.

"Going 20 kts it's more "holy f*** is that a deadhead? Hard to port Martha!""

That really made me genuinely laugh - thank you!!

I guess you would be very uncomfortable at 40 knots then.

Actually it all depends on the setting. Three weeks ago was driving a 30' go fast boat at nearly 60 mph, on a lake, with absolutely no obstacles in the water. Do this for 30 minutes, then cut engines and jump in for a swim. Drink a beer. Repeat.

It was glorious.:socool:

Actually it all depends on the setting. Three weeks ago was driving a 30' go fast boat at nearly 60 mph, on a lake, with absolutely no obstacles in the water. Do this for 30 minutes, then cut engines and jump in for a swim. Drink a beer. Repeat.

It was glorious.:socool:

Yes agreed - that is why we towed the larger RIBS along. Really easy to explore and could hit near 70 if/when we had the nerve. But running at 40-45 was pretty much routine with those types of RIBS.

We have Blue Sky, NT42 hull #1, which came with a 350 HP Lugger. We cruise at 8 knots (1500 RPM) which gives us 10 litres/hour fuel burn. On occasion we take it up to max RPM (2600) which gives us 12 knots and an 8 GPH fuel burn.

That works for us, and I've never really felt the need for more power although I suppose it might be nice once in a while.

I would look more at the rest of the boat; ours has the accommodation separation similar to what you are looking at, and many folks have commented on how they prefer that to the newer models which have a common hallway for both staterooms. Ultimately you will find that the livability of the vessel will be more important than the engine size.

If I were looking to buy a different NT42, the engine would not be a big factor (other than condition).

There was a comment about NT having lots of bow up at high speeds. I have to say, this isn't something I've noticed on the 42. Very comfortable layout (very). Easy to handle, predictable movements when manouvering and docking.
I've only run one in Georgia Straight as far north as Powell River and in the Canadian Gulf Islands so haven't been in swell bigger than about 3 to 4 feet but that was as comfortable as I could imagine. From 7.5 to 8 knts if the seas cause rolling, add some throttle and the dynamic stability is very effective at smoothing the ride.

QUOTE=CDreamer;598363]I am just asking: Aren't the hydraulic pads just intended to keep the boat upright, while the boat's weight is resting on the keel?

I didn't realize those would put more pressure on the hull than "manually positioned" screw-jack type pads.[/QUOTE]

You are probably correct regarding that trailer...looks like provisions for cross beams under the keel (the square holes in the trailer frame). Can't tell where it's blocked from the photo. If so, that's the "good design" trailer, although I don't know for a fact that they don't lift the boat on the pads prior to installing the keel supports.

I know for sure that the one in the photo below lifts and transports the entire boat on pads. Lunacy. It's a Conolift product. Don't allow one near your boat!

DSCN0543.jpg

There was a comment about NT having lots of bow up at high speeds. I have to say, this isn't something I've noticed on the 42. Very comfortable layout (very). Easy to handle, predictable movements when manouvering and docking.
I've only run one in Georgia Straight as far north as Powell River and in the Canadian Gulf Islands so haven't been in swell bigger than about 3 to 4 feet but that was as comfortable as I could imagine. From 7.5 to 8 knts if the seas cause rolling, add some throttle and the dynamic stability is very effective at smoothing the ride.

May have been me Greg.
Rocker tends to do that but it's possible the 32 may be the only one w rocker. In the pics I've seen here there's little tendency to go bow high. Perhaps the CG is far enough fwd to make them fairly level. One thing I'm crazy about on the N Tugs is the fwd wheelhouse and the superb visability fwd and a bow high attitude would hardly affect it at all.

QUOTE=CDreamer;598363]I am just asking: Aren't the hydraulic pads just intended to keep the boat upright, while the boat's weight is resting on the keel?

I didn't realize those would put more pressure on the hull than "manually positioned" screw-jack type pads.

You are probably correct regarding that trailer...looks like provisions for cross beams under the keel (the square holes in the trailer frame). Can't tell where it's blocked from the photo. If so, that's the "good design" trailer, although I don't know for a fact that they don't lift the boat on the pads prior to installing the keel supports.

I know for sure that the one in the photo below lifts and transports the entire boat on pads. Lunacy. It's a Conolift product. Don't allow one near your boat!

View attachment 69130[/QUOTE]

Depends on the skill of the operator.

The Nordic Tug 42 is designed for fuel efficiency — and when it comes to fuel consumption, the boat's standard single 450 hp Cummins diesel engine and the optional 635 hp powerplant both pass efficiency tests with flying colors. The 42's top speed, with the standard engine, is 17 knots. It cruises comfortably at 14 knots — and at a slower cruise speed of 9 knots, the 42 burns less than 3 gallons of fuel per hour.

Of course if you are well-healed long distance travelers do not discount the Nordhavn 43 or larger.
Top speed about 8knts but you can travel forever and in great comfort. I would give serious consideration to adding an active stabilizer system.
I had a N46.... I no longer have it. Major boat yard screw up followed by a 3 year legal dispute .... a long story and it would just make you and me cry in our beer.

I think sea trials are done with boats that are considerably lighter than the same boat used for cruising. My 42 shows a dry weight of 26,000 lbs. I haven't weighed it but my guess I am pushing 38,000 lbs with full fuel, water, food, clothes, dinghy, kayak, electronics, tools, spare parts, gasoline for the dinghy, generator, spare anchor and rode, electronics, and all the other things that tend to collect. I think 17 knots on a Nordic 42 with a 450HP Cummins loaded for cruising would maybe make 14 knots and at 9 knots would burn more than 3 gph. Here is a summary of my 2016 summer:

Distance (SM) 2471
Fuel 720
MPG 3.43
GPH 2.03
Engine Hours 354.9
Gen Hours 32.5

Average speed in all engine hours was about 6.3 knots. I don't have 2017 yet, but I believe it should be nearly the same.

Tom

I think sea trials are done with boats that are considerably lighter than the same boat used for cruising. My 42 shows a dry weight of 26,000 lbs. I haven't weighed it but my guess I am pushing 38,000 lbs with full fuel, water, food, clothes, dinghy, kayak, electronics, tools, spare parts, gasoline for the dinghy, generator, spare anchor and rode, electronics, and all the other things that tend to collect. I think 17 knots on a Nordic 42 with a 450HP Cummins loaded for cruising would maybe make 14 knots and at 9 knots would burn more than 3 gph. Here is a summary of my 2016 summer:

Distance (SM) 2471
Fuel 720
MPG 3.43
GPH 2.03
Engine Hours 354.9
Gen Hours 32.5

Average speed in all engine hours was about 6.3 knots. I don't have 2017 yet, but I believe it should be nearly the same.

Tom

It depends on the builder but many detail exactly how the boat was loaded. Also some of the people like boattest and powerandmotoryacht and others do the same in their tests. We've actually found our boats to exceed what we were told slightly. Ours have been builders who would rather you be surprised in a good way than disappointed. Now, some things will really impact if not in the original tests and that's things like a dinghy and crane because of both weight and location. I've seen one builder's 50' that runs fine low on fuel and without the tender but you put all that weight in the stern and they had to move people forward in the boat to plane. Finally with larger trim tabs it got better but not good. We took weights and put them in multiple areas testing before adding equipment.

Tom

That's my normal cruising speed (one knot below hull speed), consuming much less than 2 gph with an 80-horsepower engine.

I believe that this NT42 635hp machine will have a fine and seaworthy tugs, above all, if necessary, the power will not end in the end when time is up and the boat stocks are full of everything.

I've seen a lot of boats and I am confident for the quality, strongly and sustainably time NT built a boat.

Good luck hunting for a well-liked Nordic tug.

NBs

The Nordic Tug 42 is designed for fuel efficiency — and when it comes to fuel consumption, the boat's standard single 450 hp Cummins diesel engine and the optional 635 hp powerplant both pass efficiency tests with flying colors. The 42's top speed, with the standard engine, is 17 knots. It cruises comfortably at 14 knots — and at a slower cruise speed of 9 knots, the 42 burns less than 3 gallons of fuel per hour.

I do believe the boats are efficient but the 3/gal/hr at 9K seems out of sorts. 9K is above hull speed. I would think a loaded boat in real life would be more like 5/gal/hr at 9K and 4 at 8K and I would expect a bit over 7K at 3/gal/hr. I would expect the quoted 3/gal/hr at 9K numbers to come from a builder or sales pitch a common practice. If the boat were marketed by the Trump gang it would be billed as the most efficient and best in the world and then go and try to sue them for advertising fraud.

I do believe the boats are efficient but the 3/gal/hr at 9K seems out of sorts. 9K is above hull speed. I would think a loaded boat in real life would be more like 5/gal/hr at 9K and 4 at 8K and I would expect a bit over 7K at 3/gal/hr. I would expect the quoted 3/gal/hr at 9K numbers to come from a builder or sales pitch a common practice. If the boat were marketed by the Trump gang it would be billed as the most efficient and best in the world and then go and try to sue them for advertising fraud.

Yes , exactly. At 9 knots you will be much higher than just a knot or two lower. I believe your observation to be very accurate.

I do believe the boats are efficient but the 3/gal/hr at 9K seems out of sorts.

I agree.

At 9 kts my QSC 8.3 540 hp is burning around 8.3+ gph. At 8.5 kts (1600rpms) I am burning exactly 7.7 gph.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom