New Trawler Build: Introduction and First Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump again.

Thought I saw on GH page at one time late May was date for completion?

Latest newsletter said it was still a few weeks away. Can't imagine what is taking so long but certainly they want to get it right as they are aiming to produce 50 boats a year.

Latest newsletter said it was still a few weeks away. Can't imagine what is taking so long but certainly they want to get it right as they are aiming to produce 50 boats a year.

Well, what they're fantasizing is one thing, but reality is something else entirely. They've taken quite a while so far and haven't produced a single TT35. I don't know what their problems are, but find it very disappointing. Then they release performance charts from a shell that they did a sea trial on.

I think the concept is great and hope Miz Trom finds it to be everything she has pictured it being in her mind. It's just right now Great Harbour has to deliver and they're running well behind schedule.

The last post on their facebook page about the TT35 was March 24. At that time they said Interiors were going into hulls #1 and #2 and photos of the interiors were weeks away. Someone asked about the photos in May with no response. Seems eerily quiet. We're nearly 4 months later.

The interior photos Donsan referred to were not photos. They were renderings done by their CAD designer and artist, Violet.

Miz Trom also hasn't posted in this thread since March.

It would be nice if they'd actually finish a boat.

TT35 Blog

The buyer of hull #2 "Spirit Song" started a blog in February detailing the build progress of Spirit Song and discussing his plans to start the Great Loop this year with his trusty canine companion Lincoln.

https://oldmanriverandlincoln.blogspot.com/2017/02/

His great loop travel plans have been delayed until 2018 while he waits for Mirage to finish Spirit Song. This interior photo is from his May 30th post.

Spirit%2BSong%2B5-23%2B%25289%2529.JPG

Last edited:
Well, they have definitely gone quiet and clearly not living up to their promises. How long can it take to complete the interior of a 35' boat? No updates from the company and the buyers have gone quiet too.

I hope someone in the know shares the good, the bad and the ugly with us. Why start a thread with just the hopeful and good stuff? Tell us all of it, please.

We drove by the facility about 4 weeks ago and saw 4 boats in production. Hull #2 had outboards on and looked like it was real close to completion. We got there about quitting time and didn't get to talk to anyone. I have since had a medical procedure and haven't had a chance to go back. Will be having PT in Melrose next week and will try to drive by again if conditions permit it. It is interesting the boats are being completed on their trailers.

Suspect main issue is owner options.

The last Great Harbour newsletter indicates Ken plans to take ownership of one of the boats.

recent factory pics

For those not on Eric Kraft's email list, he has been posting daily factory pics of the final efforts being made to complete the unit for the US Powerboat show. 60+ initial pics from Tuesday plus folders for Wednesday thru today. Here is the dropbox link.

Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

Oil Changes

Info on the Suzuki DF60 outboards reveals oil change interval to be 100 hours after the 20 hour break-in oil change. Assuming a cruise speed of 10 miles per hour means an oil change every 1000 miles. To do the Great Loop is a 6000 mile or more trip. So won't that mean the boat will need to be hauled 6 times for the oil changes?

Nice, I wonder if someone can tell me what size prop is on those engines? I take it that those engines are not the high thrust or big foot ones. I have just installed the DF 60A and in the process of getting close to the wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Of course I know that the wheels can vary with different boats of course.

Info on the Suzuki DF60 outboards reveals oil change interval to be 100 hours after the 20 hour break-in oil change. Assuming a cruise speed of 10 miles per hour means an oil change every 1000 miles. To do the Great Loop is a 6000 mile or more trip. So won't that mean the boat will need to be hauled 6 times for the oil changes?

And at 8 knots would be 7 times. I'm not an outboard person, but can't you change the oil by pumping it out through the dipstick hole on those? I believe you can. So won't require hauling all those times if I'm right.

Is it March, May, or July yet? Oh, sorry, now the date is October. When will they actually deliver one to a customer?

And at 8 knots would be 7 times. I'm not an outboard person, but can't you change the oil by pumping it out through the dipstick hole on those? I believe you can. So won't require hauling all those times if I'm right.

That might get the oil out but you still have the oil filter to deal with.

I take it that those engines are not the high thrust or big foot ones.

The specs say they are the high thrust/lean burn engines.

Look like great cockpit seats.
Interesting they hung the o/b's on brackets instead of extending the hull and had the motors bolt to the transom. I'd gone for the extra waterline length.
Side deck steps look interesting. I hope there is a foredeck hatch you can use to access the foredeck.

You can suck the oil out with various oil removal devices (usually a manual vacuum pump) through the dipstick port. This can be done with the engine in the water if you can get to the side of the engine where the dipstick is located. Filter can also be changed with the engine in the water, no problem.

The boat may need to be hauled out to change the lower unit oil and impeller though. You may be able to remove the lower unit with the boat in the water and service it separately. But you would need a dock or a dinghy.

With an outboard you could also hook the motor to a hoist on the dock, unbolt it from the boat, and just haul only the engine out if it needed extensive servicing.

Often you can "rent" the marina travel lift for a couple of hours. Then haul the boat out and service the engines on the lift. With a little practice, you can probably change the engine oil, lower unit oil, and the impeller in less than an hour per engine.

...Side deck steps look interesting. I hope there is a foredeck hatch you can use to access the foredeck.

Appears to be a fore deck hatch, but it is probably over the bed. I wouldn't want to use that as a regular means of access to the front.

My boat is arranged the same way (small cabin boat). Making your way to the front along the side "ledge" is easier than the hatch (IMO).

The only thing I would change is that the side ledge sweeps up sharply as you approach the steps. It would be better if the bottom "step" was flat especially when coming off the foredeck. It would be easy to add a piece to the "ledge" at the front to make a third step that was flat.

That might get the oil out but you still have the oil filter to deal with.

The specs say they are the high thrust/lean burn engines.

You can't get the filter in the water? Sorry but I have zero knowledge of the engine so may be a dumb question.

You can suck the oil out with various oil removal devices (usually a manual vacuum pump) through the dipstick port. This can be done with the engine in the water if you can get to the side of the engine where the dipstick is located. Filter can also be changed with the engine in the water, no problem.

The boat may need to be hauled out to change the lower unit oil and impeller though. You may be able to remove the lower unit with the boat in the water and service it separately. But you would need a dock or a dinghy.

With an outboard you could also hook the motor to a hoist on the dock, unbolt it from the boat, and just haul only the engine out if it needed extensive servicing.

Often you can "rent" the marina travel lift for a couple of hours. Then haul the boat out and service the engines on the lift. With a little practice, you can probably change the engine oil, lower unit oil, and the impeller in less than an hour per engine.

Also Donsan these rules aren't absolute. I think if you talk to the Suzuki people they will probably tell you to stretch the change intervals without any unusual circumstances. Day after day of mid-load running may not stress the oil nearly as much as typical usage. Many people run outboards hard, don't warm them up and otherwise shorten the life of the oil. The oil change intervals were probably based on these average users. One or two changes may be all you need.

Sure seems like an opportunity for someone to create a hydraulic/electrical/manual "gadget" - or an entirely new outboard bracket -
that would pivot 'up and over' moving the motor to a serviceable location - either in the cockpit or close(r) to the transom/gunnel.

Just dreamin'......:angel:

Sure seems like an opportunity for someone to create a hydraulic/electrical/manual "gadget" - or an entirely new outboard bracket -
that would pivot 'up and over' moving the motor to a serviceable location - either in the cockpit or close(r) to the transom/gunnel.

Just dreamin'......:angel:

They are generally referred to as "jack plates" and are designed mostly to adjust the motor height when running. However, you could use one to raise the engine for servicing. It would depend on how high you wanted it to go.

I think some people are over-thinking this a bit.

Most servicing is on the power head which is under the top cover. If you have access to both sides (maybe by turning the motor) you can pretty much do everything but the impeller and lower unit oil with the motor on the boat and in the water. Just be careful not to drop anything.

You can use something like this to get the oil out:
https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-Fluid-Evacuator-Plus/dp/B0002SR7TC

My outboard is a Honda and I have a swim step on both sides of the motor, so servicing is not a problem. You'd have to look at the specifics of the engine and the layout of the boat. In the case of the TT35 you may only have access to one side of the engine when the boat is afloat.

BTW, an outboard takes way less work to maintain than any inboard engine.

The twin 60's on the TT35 are probably not working all that hard and should need minimal maintenance.

You may not be allowed to service the engine (like change the oil) on the water because of environmental laws or marina rules than because of the engine setup.

There is a couple doing the Great Loop right now with an outboard powered C-Dory 25. Some of the same questions raised recently in this thread arose on their journey. You can find out how they handled them here:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=25252&start=0&sid=c92274ceb55a3883b7aeb2dbaefd36f9
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=24996&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
https://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com/

P.S. I would be overjoyed to have an outboard powered trawler-type boat. If I could swing the money I'd already have a TT35 on order. Unfortunately, I don't have $250K lying around right now. Maybe I should look into that GoFundMe thing I've heard about.

Last edited:
IMG_1204.jpg

Saw this pic on FB. I'm a fan of this concept, but it's not a looker in this color configuration IMO. Slab-sided? Is that the phrase I'm looking for?

Maybe it just needs an emblem/sticker on the house to break up the white, or some kind of color contrast might help.

View attachment 69161

Saw this pic on FB. I'm a fan of this concept, but it's not a looker in this color configuration IMO. Slab-sided? Is that the phrase I'm looking for?

Maybe it just needs an emblem/sticker on the house to break up the white, or some kind of color contrast might help.

Well, the hope is they'll actually finish one and then it can be looked at and tested.

Could definitely use some color, emblems and other embellishments to break up the clorox feel. Maybe like auto detailing, eh? Wonder if any of the buyers will select awlgrip esmeralde?

Could definitely use some color, emblems and other embellishments to break up the clorox feel. Maybe like auto detailing, eh? Wonder if any of the buyers will select awlgrip esmeralde?

I would think the boat is quirky and unique enough it would be an excellent boat to play with colors and paint and details on.

OP continue posting please?

I read on the Great Harbor Facebook site that the OP's boat is now receiving it's finishing touches and so should be delivered soon. I hope they rejoin this thread or start a new one on the Great Harbor forum to share their experiences with their new boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom