Marine Trader 43 MY cutlass bearings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvarholy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Julie
Vessel Make
Tradewinds 43
Has anyone used the Strut-Pro or another brand of cutlass bearing puller? Yard wants 3k to replace all four of these. Would like to already have the new bearings when the boat comes out of the water. Does anyone know the correct sizes for a Marine Trader 43 MY?

Daniel

You may need your yard to measure the Strut bores and get your cutless custom made to properly fit both the strut and the shaft. That happened to me when I had all 4 replaced. Also the struts had to be shimmed, to get the elevation accurate, so the bed had to come out to get interior access. Spendy.

Does anyone with a 43 Tradewinds at least know the diameter of the propeller shafts? The boat is over three hours away. I believe it is 2" but just not sure. Don't want to drive to NJ just to measure a shaft. I plan to purchase and use the bearing puller.

Daniel

You will need to the shaft size and bearing OD. I would not count on bearing OD without measuring. There are typically various ODs available for each shaft size.

Does anyone with a 43 Tradewinds at least know the diameter of the propeller shafts? The boat is over three hours away. I believe it is 2" but just not sure. Don't want to drive to NJ just to measure a shaft. I plan to purchase and use the bearing puller.

Daniel

Last edited:
Remember if the shaft has been worn/scored by the grit in the cutlass , new shafts are not always required.

Shaftsaver might work for you.

Shaft Saver

Home

Manufacturers of Bearings, Cutless Bearing, Elastomer, Fluid Lubricated, Irrigation, Plastic, Pump, Marine, Rubber, turbine, Vertical, Water, Viton,nitrile, EPDM, ...

I dont think they like us very much...

Industrial Bearings

Why would you buy a BOAT BEARING for your precision engineered pump?

Traditionally, the tooling made for your industrial pump shaft bearing was designed in the 1950’s in 1/8” increments by NAVAL ARCHETECTS, for use on boats! The boat bearing is then ground down to meet your specifications.

Do you have a link to the shaft saver itself? I remember using sleeves on crankshafts when the seals wore them down.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom