When will you return to ravaged locations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
Wifey B:

Many areas have been ravaged by storms. What will it take for you to cruise back there? If the marina is repaired but nothing really available on shore will you go? Is there even a point in them rebuilding the marina or has tourism there been killed for a few years?

How fast have similarly hit areas recovered in the past?

This question could apply to Rockport, the Keys, Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands. I think places like Naples probably get things going again on land quicker than on the water.

Then a general rebuilding question. Do we rebuild just as was or should rebuilding be delayed until it can be done better, with more ability to withstand the next hurricane? Or just a temporary fix now at minimal cost and then a long term fix?

Will the changes in the character and environment of these locations make you more or less likely to go? I see those changes taking two directions. Some offering less than now or being less clean or having fewer amenities. Others replacing old, smaller businesses and buildings with mansions or resorts.

Please don't get into the politics of the recovery, but just what you as a boater, as a cruiser will look for. Add to this for those of you who had boats damaged or destroyed, what about the next boat? Back to same place or elsewhere? Or none at all? :confused:

We are the anchor out, beach, walks, quiet book reading sort.

So as soon as our plans dictate.

Chesapeake is the big one next year with maybe a shortie to the Abacos, so maybe Keys/Cuba/T&C in 2019.

Planning on a month or two in the Keys this winter.

As long as a grocery store is open, we are good. In fact, less people and boats may not be a bad thing but I dont wish ill will on anyone.

Cannot speak about the other places. However I will be heading to the U.S. V. Islands next month. (By air then cruising around) We have friends down there and I have be in contact with them and they are pretty up beat. They believe they will be rebuilding the island up better than before the hurricane. Let's hope that is true. I love the U.S. V. Islands.

Cheers.

H.

Last edited:

Chesapeake is the big one next year with maybe a shortie to the Abacos, so maybe Keys/Cuba/T&C in 2019.

That will be a great trip Menzies. I have done it down to the U.S. V. Island minus the Cuba part a number of times. You will love it. T&C is a wonderful place. I love it there as well.

Cheers.

H.

That will be a great trip Menzies. I have done it down to the U.S. V. Island minus the Cuba part a number of times. You will love it. T&C is a wonderful place. I love it there as well.

Cheers.

H.

It will be interesting to see the status on Cuba in 2019. I would rather not have to be rushed by picking one of the 12 reasons and just spending a week or two there and being rushed away, so we will see.

People have a short memory when it comes to that stuff. Hatteras, NC has been hammered several times in the last 30 years by hurricanes. It gets put back together and the people go there again. It's a very different place from what I remember in the mid '70s when I started going there. Simply, it evolved and some stopped going because of the change, while others took their place cause they liked the change.

The lower Florida keys will likely change quite a bit. Some won't return; others will view it as an improvement. The Virgin Islands will take longer. Some residents will not return; new people may see opportunity.

It won't change what I do. Have a group that goes to Tavernier in May each year. The dive operator is ok and I'm sure we'll find accommodations.

Ted

I worked with a guy who built the same house on the beach in NC three times. I think it was Carolina Beach. It always seemed to me he would have changed the construction or something but same house exactly.

I will return to my place in baja in November, a place which has been ravaged by floods many times.

My wonderful friends (Mex and USA) will be there and we will continue to have great times!

Probably taking a darned boat down this year!

This.

If I was there it would be great to get a chance to enjoy the serenity how it was eons ago before the noise hordes arrived.

This.

If I was there it would be great to get a chance to enjoy the serenity how it was eons ago before the noise hordes arrived.

There are still places like that to be found!

[ God how I love playing and replaying this video! :) ]

If you want to see the islands like they were 20 to 30 years ago, go in the next year. Empty beaches and bays, few tourists and quiet. Wait a year or two and it will return to what it was before the storms.

Plus if you go soon you will actually be helping the islands to recover.

Plus if you go soon you will actually be helping the islands to recover.

Wifey B: I love thinking I would be but then worry that in thinking that I'm just being self serving.

As to seeing things the way they were 20 or 30 years ago, I find that sad to see all those years of progress wiped away.

When I do honestly feel we can contribute to their recovery even in some small way, then I'd want to go. I don't need them to cater to me, just anything that might help them make one small step back toward "normal." We found in South Florida that getting people back into a sense of normal life was huge. The difference is that it was easy here and is going to be extremely difficult in so many places.

Also, while it's not boating territory, I don't want to overlook what's happened in Mexico City. :ermm:

I will be taking my boat back to Marathon in the keys in a week or two. For sure things have changed. Some gas stations are working, the main grocery stores are open. We have water and power. In truth, not a huge amount has changed for me. I go there to fish and enjoy being out in the ocean in the boat. The only thing I have to do now is replace the fence around the pool. Everything else is ship shape with the house and dock. Well...the cable TV is still not working which would not bother me if it never came back...lol

The area has suffered a very large amount of damage. There is a mountain of trash about forty foot high on a lot the next street over. Many boats are now back in the canal. The clean up continues. The rental house next door had serious damage and my guess is that it will be several weeks before it will be back in shape to rent.

There is no question that the Florida keys will rebuild. Some people will leave and some will not have the resources to rebuild but others will replace them...it just a matter of time. A million dollar advertising program is being put in place at the moment to try to get tourist to return. The tourist will have less options for a while but the ocean is still there and they will be back.

Best of luck to everyone in the journey back to normal.

We were going to try to get to the keys this winter, but will hold off. Plenty of other places to go.

Plan on Antiqua for Christmas and Montserrat for St. Paddy's day. Will pass thru Dominica, Martinique, Guadeloupe, etc.

Unless safety is an issue, due to desperation, no changes down here. Maybe instead of an excursion, we will help with construction or clean up. Which will help the overall view of future cruisers in the eyes of locals

I was originally planning on heading to Southwest Florida next week then on to the Keys at the end of the month. But will now stay in the panhandle this winter. My concern is more about missing markers, new shoals, and hidden debris in the water waiting to eat my anchor or my running gear. Having been through this before with Ivan, it will take the locals a year or so to mark the new dangers.

Back
Top Bottom