Old 09-30-2017, 10:00 PM   #120
MichaelB1969
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Without cheating I would have set personal limits at 10 people total, maximum of 4 on flybridge when underway, 6 allowed when docked.

CE is B12/C14. So, says 14 inland, 12 offshore. I would never want 14 people aboard a 40' boat.

The Australian formula turns out to be 15 passengers, so maximum of 3 or 4 on flybridge as I don't know what they do with fractional people.

I'd perhaps give in a bit and go to 12 overall, but my limit of 4 on flybridge when underway, 6 when docked, stays.

FWIW, as a Swift 44 owner I'd have no problem with 6 on the bridge underway, 8 when docked. For reference, there is actually seating for 8 (3 around the table, 3 on the opposite bench and 2 in the helm chairs.

That said, I'm wrestling with how many people I want on the boat for Fleet Week next week. I might take my son's friends out. There are 9 kids altogether, including muy son. They are 16 year olds and probably weigh on average 140 pounds.

Even though they are really good kids, I'd definitely want at least one more, maybe two adults to accompany me. So looking at 9 kids and 3 adults. I think that's doable without any safety concern, especially given we are in the Bay and it is typically mild in October (winds die down in the Bay). Just need to recheck how many life jackets I have on board.

I'd be okay with 6 or 7 on the bridge, especially if I instructed them not to all hang over one side!

To be honest I'm much more concerned with getting hit by some yahoo carving through all the boats as it gets crowded. After all, I'm the person who got hit by a sailboat under power while I was at anchor!

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...oat-31979.html
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote