Is it legal to throw my old rusted out holding tank overboard offshore? If so how fa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough would imply a full understanding of the situation.

So if people don't agree with you, it's because they don't understand, not because there might be room for multiple opinions on a subject?

Forget the tank, sell the boat. You can't cover living expenses AND maintain a boat over the longer term on SS. The tank issue is only the beginning....

I don't think dumping a stainless tank overboard is the right thing to do, but its not a hanging offence either IMO.

Throwing overboard sounds like an easy solution that could have negative consequences to the environment..Taking that path in order to save yourself some additional work and expense isn't something I would do, but to each his own....

So if people don't agree with you, it's because they don't understand, not because there might be room for multiple opinions on a subject?

Dont always assume a general comment involves your posts. But also generically, it is almost impossible in thesevthreads to have a total understanding of all viewpoints and possibilities by their nature.

For everone else...

Anything underwater actually weighs less. If it has some holes in it, the chances of it silting in and settling in one spot are possible too.

I did say if done right which includes selecting a site that if id did roll, it wouldnr be counterproductive to providing habitat.

Last edited:
Let`s keep in mind the OP`s parlous health. Desperate circumstances may result in desperate ideas, ill health can affect thinking.
Dumping the tank in the water is not a great idea but sometimes people do bad things to get by. Maybe a used holding tank is not tempting to a recycler. Better to find somewhere onshore for it,somehow.

Let`s keep in mind the OP`s parlous health. Desperate circumstances may result in desperate ideas, ill health can affect thinking.
Dumping the tank in the water is not a great idea but sometimes people do bad things to get by. Maybe a used holding tank is not tempting to a recycler. Better to find somewhere onshore for it,somehow.

On the right track....

I think someone may step up to help.

I wont be there till January, but if I was there now, helping would be my pleasure.

I'm going to make some people mad here, but I'm a fisherman.

When you dump it, make note of the coordinates and PM them to me, OK?

Put some weight in it before you do it, whatever you can find. There has to be plenty of smashed concrete in Marathon right now.

I don't think the people on this board understand what has happened in the middle keys. It's a mess there. They are hauling 18 wheeler loads full of debris out of the keys as fast as they can and taking them to the landfill. How is it better to dump it in the landfill than it would be to properly sink it in deep water where it will become habitat?

Hell, the state sunk an entire destroyer off of Pensacola not too many years ago to form a reef. Admittedly, we need to do it the right way, but think out of the box a little bit.

My son and I pulled a limit of lobsters out of an old fridge we know about in the Bahamas last month. There were at least 50 lobster in it along with a bunch of small reef fish.

Thinking out of the box will just get you lambasted by some here....sorry to be so obvious as following this thread certainly clues anyone in to that concept.

. How is it better to dump it in the landfill than it would be to properly sink it in deep water where it will become habitat?

I don't think anyone suggested that.

You are overlooking the choice of taking it to a scrap yard where it will be recycled. And the fact that it may be worth a dollar or two. And the fact that it's probably simpler and cheaper than taking it twelve miles out to sea (and back).

Last edited:
The most expedient solution would still be if there was any way to even do a temporary repair on it. A bladder is an option but probably beyond what he can afford.

Dont always assume a general comment involves your posts. But also generically, it is almost impossible in thesevthreads to have a total understanding of all viewpoints and possibilities by their nature.

For everone else...

Anything underwater actually weighs less. If it has some holes in it, the chances of it silting in and settling in one spot are possible too.

I did say if done right which includes selecting a site that if id did roll, it wouldnr be counterproductive to providing habitat.

I'm not assuming whose posts it involves or doesn't. Just that intelligent, well informed people can disagree with you and that you don't have the market cornered on understanding.

I'm not assuming whose posts it involves or doesn't. Just that intelligent, well informed people can disagree with you and that you don't have the market cornered on understanding.

I think someone is having a bad day. Or week. Maybe he just needs a hug! :rolleyes:

No, I dont have the market cornered on understanding.

But there are obvious examples of posters that arent disagreeing based on sound, logical principles the vast majority of the time and I am not the only one pointing those posters out on a regular basis.

Last edited:
No, I dont have the market cornered on understanding.

But there are obvious examples of posters that arent disagreeing based on sound, logical principles the vast majority of the time and I am not the only one pointing those posters out on a regular basis.

They disagree based on opinions which are not always sound or logical to other people. There are many who post here with statements they think are well thought out and I believe are not logical or don't make sense, but that doesn't mean they should be chastised over posting their opinions. The only aspect of this thread I disagree with is the name calling and that didn't involve me on either side.

Neither you nor I get to decide what is sound or logical.

I get to decide what is my opinion just like everyone else and others get to evaluate that based on what they know and think I know.

I will leave it at that.

Wow. This party is still going strong. It's legal to dump this item 12miles out. That puts it in 650 ft of water. That's the legal view. At that depth, no one will see it, and it won't roll around with it's 400 lbs of mass. Mass increases significantly as an item fills with water...

Specific gravity calculation maybe?

Any engineers or physicists want to weigh in here?

Bigfish;
Sorry to hear about your medical situation - I hope you recover quickly.

In the meantime, I don't think the offshore disposal of the tank is necessary. I believe you said you need the s/s tank removed in order to match a new tank? That would be the time to throw it away via a marina. (It's easier & cheaper to arrange to drop it off at a marina than to run 24 nm round trip to dump it offshore, right?)
You have another week to recover ...take it easy, and use the time to arrange for some volunteers to help with the tanks. Here in Houston, post-Harvey, there are a number of groups who offer free help. Maybe a Boy Scout troop? Just explain your situation.

Sure a lot of comments, so here's mine, along with a few questions....

Overall, I like Psneeld thoughts on this... logical.

I guess Bigfishs original question as to legality has been answered, and then this morphed into an "is it right, moral, responsible" discussion....

I could be a bit in the middle, don't thing dumping it is necessarily bad and the options ashore just seem easier, but....

Is there even a dock to go to? And is there a recycling operation that's open or even close by?

And, when will the new tank come from and cost?

I could argue that just welding it could be the best and easiest option, but may cost more than dumping the tank. But, add in the cost of a new one, could be cheaper and no dumping or recycling.

Now, when everything is fixed, how does the tank get periodically emptied?

"How does the new tank get emptied?"

My first reply was going to be, "Take a guess."

But then it got me thinking, "Where marinas with pump-outs are either damaged or chock-full after a storm, do you think a lot of boaters turn the valve an simply pump overboard? Especially at moorings? Unfortunately I bet they do. After dark of course.

Many mooring fields are serviced by pump out boats. The large live aboard community in Richardson Bay in the SF estuary is served that way.

They disagree based on opinions which are not always sound or logical to other people. There are many who post here with statements they think are well thought out and I believe are not logical or don't make sense, but that doesn't mean they should be chastised over posting their opinions. The only aspect of this thread I disagree with is the name calling and that didn't involve me on either side.

Neither you nor I get to decide what is sound or logical.

I don't advocate dumping junk anywhere and I don't preach preach to others either. Time to get off your soap box.

Last edited:
I'm on a mooring ball with no access to a dock or $ to for access or disposal. And NO I'm not accustomed to disposing of trash overboard. I personally think dumping this tank, which will rust away to nothing, will be less harmfull to the environment then paying somebody to bury it in a landfill... and much easier. Obviously you disagree...

Concur.

Thank You PSneeld! Common sense is not completely dead yet...

Don't worry, any common sense based on science will be long gone by the end of this thread.

Already thinning quickly..... :)...

And yes I might be wrong, waiting for the conclusive evidence to apologize and quietly bow out.

psneeld;597058.....I see no issue other than the law........[/QUOTE said:
This was my favorite post.

Sickness and poverty entitle you to some sympathy and help, and maybe even some kind words and good wishes. They do NOT entitle you to break the law, or exempt you from your moral obligation to protect the seas and the planet.

I can't afford a new iphone, so it is OK if I steal one from someone ?

I sprained my ankle and its really inconvenient to walk to the dumpter..can I just throw my trash out of my apartment window...maybe just the paper goods since they'll break down quickly ?

If you really thought it was OK to dump it, you woulnd't have asked the forum.

In 2 minutes of googling I found 4 scrap metal dealers/recyclers located on Marathon.

I'm sorry your finances and health aren't great. I hope they improve. Now go do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom