Water Plugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TowLou

Vessel Name
Bassey
Vessel Make
17' Bass
Foam in general?......good enough to stuff....

Anything that helps slow the flow of water is helpful.

In damage control, the objective is not to completely stop the leak immediately, it is to slow it to the point your pump system wins hands down so you can concentrate on the big picture.

You can go to your favorite marine retailer and buy a set of tapered wooden plugs or a tapered foam plug to stop or reduce leaks in your boat. I have both.

Or go to a craft store and get the same for pennies on the dollar of a marine store.

For that matter, you can just keep a few rags on board to plug holes.

Absolutely, that what we often use when salvaging boats.

Even better if you have a few plastic grocery bags handy for some plugging.

That the difference between experience and reading.

Oh yeah grocery bags? Put on the outside of the hull?

Towels, rags, nerf balls, they can all come in handy. The wooden plugs are for stopping up broken through hulls, not irregular holes. Keep the plugs near the through hull they fit in or an easy to access central location along with a rubber mallet (the latter a very handy boat tool in general).

Oh yeah grocery bags? Put on the outside of the hull?

No, they just slow the seepage through rags, towels, some foams or just wrapped around a hard object and crammed into a hole.

Have used all sorts of things for both salvages and damage control training.

This and a set of tapered wooden plugs were on my boat when I bought it.

11555901a.jpg

It costs more than rags or grocery bags but if you ever have to use it you probably won't regret the cost.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/forespar--sta-plug-emergency-plug--11555901?recordNum=17

A couple wax toilet bowl rings can be very handy to plug holes

The trick with damage control is actually having the intuition to get it done within the time you have left before flooding gets away from you, all the tools and gimmicks are just that.

Many of the "manufactured products" are for something simple like a broken fitting or ruptured hose....well, for half of those who says plug A or B will fit or work?

Better to understand the concept of damage control and how to slow the ingress of water than rely on a few overpriced, over advertised pieces of gear.

Heck, many things will work..... if you have to tear your shirt off to plug a hole it is worth ot.

Last edited:
Well, someone always tells me and everyone else that one should leave it with the pros to determine whats best.

Twisting wires on land doesnt sound like the most solid background when dealing with sinking or sunk boats.

Learn damage control, not what cute equipment to buy is my recommendation.

I carry Stay Afloat. Home
Video on their site. Available in most marine stores, Amazon and Ebay. Because I have a wood hull, I also carry a fothering mat.

Attachments

• stay-afloat.png
    stay-afloat.png
    82 KB · Views: 256
  • stay-afloat1.JPG
    stay-afloat1.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
You can be prepared or you can wait until you have an issue and then look around for garbage bags to stuff in the hole.

I was a Boy Scout.

Should have been a sea scout.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can tell..... :rofl:

Seriously, having a bag of rags, plastic, bits of wood, foam of any shape, wax rings are what many have and are more than adequate.

Having pieces of bendable plywood in medium squres and strips with a screw gun and drywall screws is a great bag of tricks too.

Last edited:
additionally, be aware the driving a wood DC plug into an FG hull penetration may not be the best bet. Might function as a wood spitting wedge and exacerbate the problem.

As psneeld has said, better to learn the basics of damage control and find the suporting materials before the event happens. Therein is the problem. Does anybody offer a course or seminar in basic DC for plastic boats?

I can tell..... :rofl:

Seriously, having a bag of rags, plastic, bits of wood, foam of any shape, wax rings are what many have and are more than adequate.

Having pieces of bendable plywood in medium squres and strips with a screw gun and drywall screws is a great bag of tricks too.
I like that idea woth plywood as long as the screw gun does not get soaked or still works if it does get wet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom