Bathtub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I have a 1983 36 Albin .. has anyone Ever replaced the bathtub or converted it to a shower stall ???

On a boat? No

"Typically"(not always)the drain location needs to move to center of opening and increased in diameter. Also the mixing valve may need to be raised if to low for operating while standing.

ii8I did.

PPL motorhomes sells shower pans that fit nicely with a bit of modification to the surroundings. The pans are nice and sturdy.

The tub had a drain that went through the engineroom bulk head and I lowered the pan to gain headroom so I had to replumb.

I know I will be chastized for not letting a pro do it and even suggesting it as DIY :), but it works great, gives you more room, nothing to high step over but you loose the equivalent of a deep sink.

I also fixed the rotting storage space behind it and doubled tbe cabinet space.

It also let me cut out and get rid of the huge shower sump that was designed to fast fill from the tub, opening up my bilge under my genset.

Total price was under a grand but that included the pan, plumbing, wall coverings, adhesives, trim, new cabinet misc and almost $200 for the cut, white plexiglass doors (ouch).

Does need a scrubbing after last weeks yard period.

Attachments

• 20170926_090607.jpg
    20170926_090607.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 20170926_090614.jpg
    20170926_090614.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 20170926_092205.jpg
    20170926_092205.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Why would anyone chastise you for that? Great work, looks good and improves the plumbing. Win win win.

You know the (guy) (guys) who just assume that all/most of us can never aquire the skills of a professional from different fields.

Yet there are institutions of higher learning that are so stupid as to grant people Masters and PhDs in multiple fields. Can you believe that?

Thats why I have assistance towing and multiple rescue devices like PLBs because I fear sinking, fire, explosion, etc because I sometimes do my own work or am so stupid as to keep propane and gasoline aboard. . :)

Bathtub on a boat. What a concept. My little shower sump box in the bilge would be running like crazy trying to keep up with a tub when I pulled the drain plug. Think of the sloshing, trying to take a bath underway. Heck, we've been in seas so rough that water sloshed out of the toilet bowl, can't imagine a tub-ful. All that gray water to hold in zero-discharge zones. I'd empty an entire fresh water tank for one bath. And my six gallon hot water heater would never keep up.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Cant tell from the picture hoe deep is it?

Is your HW tank large enough to fill it with warm water?

My shower pan is only about 4 inches deep and I can fill it with all very hot water, never had tbe need to as I usually use a clean 6 gallon bucket for washing things.

On the other hand, all that weight in a full bathtub - I could use it to adjust for a port or starboard list as my other tanks are filled and emptied. Or if the tub were mounted athwartship with baffles and a pump, could maybe be used as a stabilizer or counterbalance a heeling boat in a side wind. Maybe I need two tubs mounted transversely, one to balance heeling/roll and one to balance pitching. Hmmmm....

By the way, gray water is OK to discharge in most no discharge zone.

Also some people love the half tubs in some boats as they are great for kids amd dogs.

I just hose tbat kind down on the dock before they come aboard... :)

I would advise not getting rid of the bath tub. We had one on our Selene.
It came in very handy for storing beer and other beverages while cruising the Bahamas for several months, during which we used the guest shower.
Never did have a bath in it.

We had a "tub" on a previous boat. It might have worked for an 8 year old... it made it difficult to get in and out of to shower due to the tall side. We cut down the entry side and glassed the cut down area. Also removed the vinyl headliner and glassed it also. Then Awlgripped the whole shower. It was way better for using. Easy to get in and out. My wife used to have bruised shins from trying to get in over the old high side. We also repitched the pan bottom so that the water would flow to the drain and not pool and have to be sponged up. Overall a much better arrangement.

ii8I did.

PPL motorhomes sells shower pans that fit nicely with a bit of modification to the surroundings. The pans are nice and sturdy.

The tub had a drain that went through the engineroom bulk head and I lowered the pan to gain headroom so I had to replumb.

I know I will be chastized for not letting a pro do it and even suggesting it as DIY :), but it works great, gives you more room, nothing to high step over but you loose the equivalent of a deep sink.

I also fixed the rotting storage space behind it and doubled tbe cabinet space.

It also let me cut out and get rid of the huge shower sump that was designed to fast fill from the tub, opening up my bilge under my genset.

Total price was under a grand but that included the pan, plumbing, wall coverings, adhesives, trim, new cabinet misc and almost $200 for the cut, white plexiglass doors (ouch).

Does need a scrubbing after last weeks yard period.

Very nice work, but I am upset with what I see. If you insist on keep the good drink in the head you need a tub for enjoying said drink without getting the drink watered down. Also, the toilet needs a seat belt to hold one on while enjoying the last drink in the case. :rofl:

By the way, gray water is OK to discharge in most no discharge zone.

Ummmm, what? Isn't a no discharge zone literally a "no discharge" zone?

Nice to see a cross over from rv stuff to boats, you would think some on here never heard of the wealth of knowledge the rv'ers ooze. :D

I plan on adding a jacuzzi tub to the flybridge. I learned with one of my previous rv's that without exception there is no better way to finish a tough day of camping than to ease into a jacuzzi tub with a beverage of choice. I assume the rule will transcend to trawling as well.

Last edited:
Nope, no discharge just means black water...however some lakes take it further...but not just a no discharge zone.

I get the impression that more and more zero discharge areas are just that - zero discharge, including gray water. Lake George, Lake Champlain (although I see conflicting info on that one), Santa Barbara Harbor, Nantucket Harbor. Lots of discussion on Sailnet about gray water holding tanks. Not saying it makes sense...

" Not saying it makes sense..."

But it IS the wave of the future.

Any politico can pound his chest about how Green he is,, "saving" the planet.

Reality is never welcome.

I get the impression that more and more zero discharge areas are just that - zero discharge, including gray water. Lake George, Lake Champlain (although I see conflicting info on that one), Santa Barbara Harbor, Nantucket Harbor. Lots of discussion on Sailnet about gray water holding tanks. Not saying it makes sense...

Zero discharge is not a NDZ, no discharge zone.

Plus, I see all of Mass waters are no discharge, but I cant find anything about no gray water discharge in any salt water areas. Have any links?

Last edited:
Sydney Harbour is now a NDZ for grey as well as black water, for commercial vessels,incl ferries, route and cruising. Non commercial pleasure boats escape the grey requirement. So far.
I wish our Sewerage Authority had at least the same restriction as pleasure boats, but in heavy rain, water which should not enters the sewers which cannot cope. The harbour, and some offshore areas suffer, it`s thought to be better than sewerage backing up into homes and buildings.

Lets all agree that the discharge rules are a bit gray no matter where the location is. I tend to take the no discharge rule as just that and contain all gray and black water.

...I tend to take the no discharge rule as just that and contain all gray and black water.

You have holding tanks and plumbing capable of that?

Most boats are not equipped with grey water tanks and plumbing grey water to the black water tank makes no sense unless only anchoring for one night at a time. I guess you could avoid showering while anchored, and "dry wash' yourself and your dishes. So, do not understand how total "no discharge" can realistically be applied.

You have holding tanks and plumbing capable of that?

I will have when I get started on my boat. I won't have a lot of capacity, but I will have the ability to discharge overboard in areas that allow for it. I'm going to try for 40 gallons each gray and black water. I shouldn't need much. I am only one man. I have experience in water conservation. It's something I've been working on for the past 20 years. I use less than 1.5 gallons of water per day when I go hiking and camp. That's for drinking and cooking. The creek is my shower.

Zero discharge is not a NDZ, no discharge zone.

Plus, I see all of Mass waters are no discharge, but I cant find anything about no gray water discharge in any salt water areas. Have any links?

Gray water discharge is okay so far in Mass. and RI. Applies to black water only.

Lets all agree that the discharge rules are a bit gray no matter where the location is. I tend to take the no discharge rule as just that and contain all gray and black water.
Thats the difference between actually knowing the rules and guessing.....suggest you look it up.

There are lakes that involve no discharge of gray water, but I am not sure if any coastal areas but some very tiny special areas like in the Keys that prohibit it.

Comnercial vessels have different rules, recreational vessels are exempt under the clean water act.

Thats the difference between actually knowing the rules and guessing.....suggest you look it up.

There are lakes that involve no discharge of gray water, but I am not sure if any coastal areas but some very tiny special areas like in the Keys that prohibit it.

Comnercial vessels have different rules, recreational vessels are exempt under the clean water act.

My boat will be in lakes frequently where there are no waste water discharges allowed of any kind. When I will be in other areas, I will be sure to know the rules and regs, and preferably have them with me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom