Couple wants to crew, seeking trawler adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarrenCharles

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tracy’s Landing
Vessel Make
Ranger Tug R25
Hello,
We are enjoying our new, semi-retired lifestyle and would like to spend some time crewing a trawler to find out if this lifestyle is really for us. We are sane, personable and capable. Will share expenses. Does anyone know where we could get the word out?

Welcome. Charter will also work for you.

Cheers

H.

I think they are looking to crew on someones boat rather than charter. They are willing and able and want to learn. Good for them and good for an owner operator who needs a short term crew.

There is a very fine line between that and a crewed charter.

Offering to share expenses does not mean charter (especially up front) and they want to ride along, not dictate when or where the vessel goes.

Pretty common.... and I havent heard any recent issues in publications or forums that this is a targeted situation by enforcement.

I dont see the legal tangle, but also not a lawyer

If you vacation near a marina with trawlers, you might trying asking around the marina or posting on the community board if they have one. If there's a boating school near there, it never hurts to ask them. They may only teach sailing, but are often in tune with what's going on in the boating community. Being in a land locked area will make it much tougher.

Ted

Regarding our initial thread above, someone suggested we provide more information, particularly our experience. Here goes:
I have crewed on an 88' replica wooden sailing canal scooter from Long Island to Albany, crewed on a 44 sailboat up the coast of Maine for a few days, owned and sailed a 22' ODay. Also owned a 40x60' sectional barged and moved it around with an old 1950's vintage 150hp single screw Army pusher boat on construction projects. Have since sold all those.
My wife and I crewed on a 42' trawler last year from NYC to Baltimore for about a week and had a good time and were helpful - cooked, did dishes, and helped with ropes.
We would not be good on big open seas and tall waves - more intercoastal material, but could handle 4-6' sea. I am an engineer who can solve problems and fix things. I also dive.
We would be looking for a 1-3 week leg somewhere on the eastern half of the US - maybe help someone move their boat south for the winter.

Regarding our initial thread above, someone suggested we provide more information, particularly our experience. Here goes:
I have crewed on an 88' replica wooden sailing canal scooter from Long Island to Albany, crewed on a 44 sailboat up the coast of Maine for a few days, owned and sailed a 22' ODay. Also owned a 40x60' sectional barged and moved it around with an old 1950's vintage 150hp single screw Army pusher boat on construction projects. Have since sold all those.
My wife and I crewed on a 42' trawler last year from NYC to Baltimore for about a week and had a good time and were helpful - cooked, did dishes, and helped with ropes.
We would not be good on big open seas and tall waves - more intercoastal material, but could handle 4-6' sea. I am an engineer who can solve problems and fix things. I also dive.
We would be looking for a 1-3 week leg somewhere on the eastern half of the US - maybe help someone move their boat south for the winter.

So after all that you are still not sure that the"lifestyle is for you?"

What more would you like to consider?

Too bad they weren't around when Richard needed some crew down in Mexico.

Replying to Menzies:
Correct. I have only had 3 separate overnight journeys on a boat and only 1 was on a trawler. My wife only has 1 overnight journey experience. Before we jump off a cliff and make a purchase of a boat we want to better understand what it is like to live and travel on a trawler.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

A good idea to see if the shoe fits, there is also an association of people who do a loop around the Eastern half of the United States.....I have seen several offering up spots to newcomers to introduce the lifestyle.

Get good at it, and like cruising but not enough to buy a boat, you could become a highly rated invitee coupke and do it multipke times a year without owning.

You may have to join, but it might be part of that cheap insurance to make sure before plopping down tensvof thousands of dollars.

http://www.greatloop.org/content.as...oDGOqUaRD38SyGzrYXlEeNs2jSEDNCYRoCJ3QQAvD_BwE

Or

https://aglca.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=574480&module_id=185488

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom