Books about radar usage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sayswho

Looking for some recommendations. I am new to radar but am ready to step in. I’m looking for some good reading material. I’m concerned less with close range collision avoidance and more with spotting storms, birds, and fleets of boats.

The Radar Book, by Kevin Monehan. It's a really good intro, and covers advanced topics as well. Plus Kevin is a really good guy, and I believe in supporting the good guys in the world.

Ditto on the Monahan book. I haven't seen the latest edition, if there is one, so don't know if it says anything about the new technologies, but all the important and most useful topics are covered extremely well regardless of what tech your radar is.

The Radar Book, by Kevin Monehan. It's a really good intro, and covers advanced topics as well. Plus Kevin is a really good guy, and I believe in supporting the good guys in the world.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will check on that one.

I've read KM's book. Nicely done!

Local Power Squadron members have put together a course using this book as the basis. Superb job, FIRST class job of the course. Now it has to be vetted by National before it can be rolled out to the rest of the membership. They didn't just use the book, they are experts in the use of radar as well and use the book as a student manual.

I believe the book has had some updates, at least newer versions than 2003 with some editing.

Thanks.

I have radar but our experience has been a turn on and go "ooh ahh" at all the pretty green blobs way off in the distance and turn it off again.
The cat likes to stand on it while she chases moths at night, I think she gets a better result from it than me.

Perhaps its just being lucky enough to cruise in areas, at the moment, where radar is not really required.

I do appreciate it on passage when rain squalls are present and I guess if the 3 plotters onboard crap out at once it'll come in handy as well.

Best I get that book and see if I can put it to further use.

The best way to learn about radar is to leave it on when it's clear & in the daytime. You'll figure out what targets look like, you'll be able to see targets with your naked eyes & then tweak the radar so that you get the best target return & be able to know what they look like. That way you're comfortable with it when you need it.
The basics of all radars are the same.
Gain increases the intensity of targets. Not enough gain & you'll miss targets.
Sea Clutter adjustment nullifies the gain but cleans up the picture. Too much sea clutter & you loose targets.
Rain adjustment cleans up the picture in a squall but like the sea clutter adjustment, too much & you loose targets. Be sure the rain clutter is off at all times unless you're actually in rain.
Those are the basics to get you going with radar. The other bells & whistles you can learn as you go.

I have the basics and can recognise targets, just need to sort the bells and whistles.

I have a signed copy! He is a good guy.

If you want more from Kevin Monahan and transit British Columbia waters, check out "Local Knowledge, A Skippers' Reference", published by Fine Edge. This book is great for how to run Johnstone Strait as well as the many rapids in that area.

The best way to learn about radar is to leave it on when it's clear & in the daytime. You'll figure out what targets look like, you'll be able to see targets with your naked eyes & then tweak the radar so that you get the best target return & be able to know what they look like. That way you're comfortable with it when you need it.
The basics of all radars are the same.
Gain increases the intensity of targets. Not enough gain & you'll miss targets.
Sea Clutter adjustment nullifies the gain but cleans up the picture. Too much sea clutter & you loose targets.
Rain adjustment cleans up the picture in a squall but like the sea clutter adjustment, too much & you loose targets. Be sure the rain clutter is off at all times unless you're actually in rain.
Those are the basics to get you going with radar. The other bells & whistles you can learn as you go.

This is great advice. I almost always had the radar on when cruising no matter the conditions. The books reinforce this and are very helpful in maximizing the learning process.

If you want more from Kevin Monahan and transit British Columbia waters, check out "Local Knowledge, A Skippers' Reference", published by Fine Edge. This book is great for how to run Johnstone Strait as well as the many rapids in that area.
Again, +1.

I didn't realize he was the author.

Would this reading be useful for learning the utility of my 30 year old Furuno?

Would this reading be useful for learning the utility of my 30 year old Furuno?

Monahan wrote the book in 2004. It's pretty generic but he did use Furuno equipment for his examples. (no info about checking vacuum tubes however)

In addition to Boomerangs excellent post I can offer some advice about RADAR. In addition to using it during the time you CAN see to build confidence in the dark time, and in fog; the understanding that radar is inherently adjustable depending upon specifically what you are trying to accomplish.

If you are looking far out you tune the radar in with ‘acceptable close in return’ to maximize distant targets.

However when you really need it in close (less than a mile) you can tune it to get targets close to you and ignore the distant targets.

Also. Every time you change the range scale on radars you need to ‘tweak’ the rain and sea clutter. They ‘Auto adjust’ and need personal tweaking to fine tune to your liking. Reading your ‘old’ Furuno manual will actually mention this.

In addition to Boomerangs excellent post I can offer some advice about RADAR. In addition to using it during the time you CAN see to build confidence in the dark time, and in fog; the understanding that radar is inherently adjustable depending upon specifically what you are trying to accomplish.

If you are looking far out you tune the radar in with ‘acceptable close in return’ to maximize distant targets.

However when you really need it in close (less than a mile) you can tune it to get targets close to you and ignore the distant targets.

Also. Every time you change the range scale on radars you need to ‘tweak’ the rain and sea clutter. They ‘Auto adjust’ and need personal tweaking to fine tune to your liking. Reading your ‘old’ Furuno manual will actually mention this.

Thank you for the advice

When I had my first boat (make that my first several boats), recreational radar was in its relative infancy. Lots of power and room were required for a display for which the user had to bury his face in a mask. Fast forward, and my first radar was relatively low power, but was great for navigation through triangulation (way before Loran -- RDF was the second best way to triangulate), and possible collision avoidance).

Although I don't have any formal radar training, I have learned that there are basically two problems with radar: 1) echos that aren't really there, generally resulting from "side lobe" radiation, and 2) echos that are missing. Depending on the quality of your radar, IME, radar has advanced to the point that the risks of 1 and 2 are greater than with naked eyes. My suggestion is that, especially for collision avoidance, you run your radar 24/7 and find a target on radar, then determine if it is visible to the naked eye. If not, get out your binos. And conversely, find a faint target with your eyes and see if your radar is picking it up. On my boat, I have more confidence with my 25kw Furuno than with my naked eyes. Interestingly, it is mounted a little lower than my 6kw Furuno, but outperforms it at up to 6 nm. Ironically, choppy seas get a bigger reflection on the higher-mounted 6kw than on the 25.
As far as advanced topics like birds, I suggest you master "real" targets first. On my radars at least, to see birds I must turn the gain way up, and the pulse down. Unfortunately, that means lots of clutter (and the clutter control off). Still, with time, you will see birds with a decent degree of confidence from 3+nm off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom