In the buying process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cdumont

Vessel Name
Glory
Vessel Make
Mainship 400 2007
Hello from the North East! We just got an offer accepted for a Mainship 400. Fingers crossed we'll be closing the end of Oct. We need to do a few things: New bimini, cushions in flybridge, and conversion of electric stove in summer kitchen to propane- not to mention replacing the ice maker! Any advice/source info much appreciated!

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Advice? Do NOT make any changes to your new boat unless absolutely necessary in the first 6 months of usage. By all means put the $$ aside for your anticipated changes BUT wait a bit. Tastes/priorities/desires tend to change in the "honeymoon" period.

Do NOT make any changes to your new boat unless absolutely necessary in the first 6 months of usage. By all means put the $$ aside for your anticipated changes BUT wait a bit. Tastes/priorities/desires tend to change in the "honeymoon" period.

Absolutely.

I once spent about $1000 on upgrading our previous boat's horn. I didn't like the "meeep" horn that sounded like a child's toy, so I bought a trucker's double air horn. Then I needed a compressor. Then I needed a spark-arrested/marinized compressor because I was going to put it in the engine compartment. Then I needed to run air lines from the engine bay to the horns. Then I needed new horn buttons on both helms (more wiring). Then I needed a volume tank for air storage, and mounting brackets for the volume tank that still gave me access to bleed water out of the tank periodically. Then...well, you get the idea. I went off the deep end. I think the advice about living with the boat for a while is wise, teaches you what's worth your time and effort and money to address, and what to leave alone.

The six month rule does not apply to soft goods, rugs, curtains, cushions, bedspreads, etc.
Do some research on converting a grill from electric to propane, there are many posts here on TF about that. Talk to your marine surveyor to see what is required to keep your insurance valid. Remember propane is a heavier than air EXPLOSIVE gas and there are ways to store it on board safely.

Here's another example. Like most boat owners we did a major clean-out of the boat when we got it home. I thought I knew the boat pretty well after a couple weeks but I found two cylindrical plastic screens about 8" long but couldn't figure out what in the world they were. They didn't match any of the seawater intake screens, didn't match the A/C intake screens, and I don't have any jar-style fuel filters. I threw them out. Months later I was working on the shower sump pump boxes and realized -- rats, they're missing the screens that I threw in the trash, and of course I can't find any source for just the screen on a Rule shower sump box, so I'd have to buy the whole box assembly. I should have lived with the boat longer.

Welcome. Take your time and see what works for you and doesn't.

Cheers.

H.

The six month rule does not apply to soft goods, rugs, curtains, cushions, bedspreads, etc.
Do some research on converting a grill from electric to propane, there are many posts here on TF about that. Talk to your marine surveyor to see what is required to keep your insurance valid. Remember propane is a heavier than air EXPLOSIVE gas and there are ways to store it on board safely.

Wifey B: I'm going to jump on this bandwagon too. While I wouldn't worry about converting the grill, there are some appearance things I'd definitely do up front. You need some of that to make it yours and not the last owner's. Even if it's just some family photos and a couple of pillows tossed on the sofas and new bed linens for the master and some towels you like. Something to turn it from the generic boat to yours. I thought more about this looking today at Bruce and Dorsey's boat. Maybe you don't paint the outside but for them that was an original choice. What you can do though is things like cushions. They chose red. Makes them feel good and right. :D

Sometimes it doesn't take so much to make the interior feel totally different. You can take the dullest, drab sofa and throw a pile of pillows on it and change the room. I know the first night on a new to me boat, I'd have my bed linens with me and they'd be on the bed and that would help me feel I was going to sleep, after of course properly honoring the stateroom, in my bedroom. :dance:

I once spent about $1000 on upgrading our previous boat's horn. I didn't like the "meeep" horn that sounded like a child's toy, so I bought a trucker's double air horn. Then I needed a compressor. Then I needed a spark-arrested/marinized compressor because I was going to put it in the engine compartment. Then I needed to run air lines from the engine bay to the horns. Then I needed new horn buttons on both helms (more wiring). Then I needed a volume tank for air storage, and mounting brackets for the volume tank that still gave me access to bleed water out of the tank periodically. Then...well, you get the idea. I went off the deep end. I think the advice about living with the boat for a while is wise, teaches you what's worth your time and effort and money to address, and what to leave alone.

Love that story. It reminds of me.

Great advice. Repair what needs to be repaired, but I would suggest that you use the boat for a season before you make upgrades or changes. The experience of using the boat will inform your decisions.

Besides, once you use the boat you will inevitably find stuff that you really do have to take care of so you don't want to blow your budget at first.

Agree on the posts about waiting a bit.

I'm in that position exactly, but at the end of the honeymoon and ready to improve. Same boat.

We mulled over what to do and what was needed, and I'm sure after we're done, we'll do more. It never ends but the big stuff is now.

Dinghy lift, kayak lift, mount for windsurfer, new floor, new electronics, window tint, engine to hot water heater option, and a bunch of little things....

Budget is $15K and will probably end up at $25, but what the heck. I spend money on boats and beer and the rest I waste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom