Carnivore or Vegitarian?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, a true Frenchman.

Of course! The taste is in the sauce, the secret is in the sauce! :D

On a serious side, when I was a young guy, where I grew up, we were going to harvest wild asparagus in the hills (la garrigue don't know the english word for this). These were very tiny asparagus, very strong in taste. Never I was able to get this taste again... just some memories.

L.

Ok - just TRY this way to hard boil eggs that will peel more easily:

Don't put them in the water until it's HOT...not boiling...just hot to the touch. Then bring to boil, cover, turn off heat, 12 minutes, cool them down in ice water.

I know, I know...I wasn't taught that way either. But it works

As always, really fresh eggs are harder to peel than week-old eggs.

I'm not opposed to a vegetarian meal now and again..."veggie bowl" with beans & rice...but I'm mostly an omnivore...who needs to make sure he's getting enough fiber...

Greetings,
Omnivore here. How do you do your asparagus? I used to simply steam it but of late I have been grilling or sauteing it with balsamic vinegar and a touch of red pepper flakes. If sauteing, I usually de-glaze the pan with a dash of white wine in lieu of the balsamic.

You can also try a couple minutes steaming, then put on grill.

Or saute. I find that the initial steaming, (half cooked) makes it easier to grill or saute without burning (probably because I don't lose my attention span)

I am mostly vegetarian, but during the summer I do eat seafood. As far as the seafood goes I eat haddock, scallops and lobster. I buy the haddock and scallops direct from the fishermen, but I catch the lobster myself. I try to limit seafood to once a week but that is hard with lobster from July to October because I catch too many.

When I am in the pacific northwest I also eat oysters, salmon, dungeness crabs and razor clams if I hit the beach at the right time.

Ok - just TRY this way to hard boil eggs that will peel more easily:

Don't put them in the water until it's HOT...not boiling...just hot to the touch. Then bring to boil, cover, turn off heat, 12 minutes, cool them down in ice water.

I know, I know...I wasn't taught that way either. But it works

As always, really fresh eggs are harder to peel than week-old eggs.

Eggs are simultaneously the easiest and trickiest things to cook. I love eggs every which way, and have worked hard to understand the countless different ways to cook them, and the countless variations on how to execute any given method. How to boil? How to poach? How to scramble? Toss any of these questions online and it’s almost as bad as politics.

For starters on how to hard boil an egg, I’d go here:

The Food Lab: How to Make Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs | Serious Eats

In addition to that article, there are another dozen or so articles on Serious Eats solely on boiling eggs. And once you’ve studied those, proceed to Food52, then the New York Times cooking site. By the time you are done you will need your own chicken farm to keep up with the eggs you will go through trying all the different methods. But you’ll have fun, learn a lot, and discover that there is no one rule to getting it right. Most of all, you will learn how to cook Really Good Eggs. ? ? ? ? ?

I subscribe to the four food groups, FF, chips, CC cookies, Cherry Garcia. Ha

Wifey B: You can use a microwave fry an egg or at least end up with similar, to poach an egg or scramble one. You can also use for asparagus. You can steam it quite well.

Ok, as to eating. Hubby and I both require meat at all meals.

We like veggies ok, green stuff and beans.

We like salads some nights.

We love berries which are very healthy.

We love fruit, but....and it's a huge but...all the sugar in fruit is just weight looking to jump on you so we limit it enough to not gain weight.

We generally eat balanced meals. We also don't eat potatoes much when cooking at home or on the boat but we will get baked potatoes when eating out. Never do either of us eat French Fries. We eat mashed potatoes only with fried chicken.

We also do not eat much bread. Ordinary dinner at home or on the boat, no bread. Fancy restaurant a little and special occasions at home.

Ok, you'll laugh at this one but hubby started it and I actually like it ok. If we decide to fix sandwiches for lunch, we skip the bread. Lettuce wraps, especially romaine leaves, are nice but otherwise we just get all the makings we want and put it on a plate and eat with a fork.

We do have a chocolate and ice cream weakness and do both but when we see any weight gain then none of either for a couple of days until we've reversed it.

We also eat large quantities (he more than I do) and know that we'll have to reduce as we age. We're not as bad as we once were. Hubby ate incredible quantities of food when he was young. :)

All very sensible. :):thumb:

Love the sandwich-without-bread thing. I use whole steamed collard leaves which are really sturdy, and sturdy lettuce or romaine in a pinch.

In spite of what Bruce suggests, I’m not a vegetarian. I just really like veggies and some fruit, and I eat very little meat. I have trouble with the transition between the nice moo-cow munching in the field, and the thing sitting on my plate. ? I love seafood and eggs, and I love fresh cooked beans (from dried, not from cans) and almost every kind of whole grain, nut and seed. We have very different eating styles which makes meal time rather complicated, but we make it work. He’ll even sometimes make room on the grill next to his slab ‘o beef for my slice of tofu. ?. Oh, and I love bread but I’m a bread snob: I’ll only allow myself to eat it if it’s the really good stuff, fresh baked artisan types. Otherwise, I’ll stay away from it because it’s pretty empty nutritionally-speaking (calories but nothing else).

If you invite me over to dinner and serve me a nice beef tenderloin, I will enjoy it, but I’ll also snarf whatever veggies you offer, and you should try to keep the salad bowl out of my reach if you want anyone else to have some. ?

Wifey B: And for full disclosure. He and I use to cook nearly every night. Generally when we cook, he will grill the meats and I'll make salads and we'll pour veggies out of a package or can.
Vegetables out of a can? They might be fresh when they go in the can but don`t seem to survive the process. But frozen veg are great, imo.
Don`t forget that famous side dish,the Glasgow salad(aka French Fries or chips).:)

Vegetables out of a can? They might be fresh when they go in the can but don`t seem to survive the process. But frozen veg are great, imo.
Don`t forget that famous side dish,the Glasgow salad(aka French Fries or chips).:)

Wifey B: We don't eat french fries or chips. Haven't either of us had any in over 10 years. :)

Wifey B: We don't eat french fries or chips. Haven't either of us had any in over 10 years. :)
I wasn`t advocating it either. I was just amused that in Glasgow, Scotland, chips qualify as salad.

I don't make french fries at home, but do like sweet potato french fries every so often when eating out.

Ted

Re: eggs
I have been keeping Backyard Chickens for 7 years. Can't tell you how much better the eggs are. Taste, color, texture. My hens eat non-GMO grains and table scraps when appropriate. Since birds universally like bread and worms, cooked spaghetti is like a "bread worm" to them...these ladies go nuts. Oddly, some like fruit while others turn their beaks up it.
They free range 2-3 days per week.
With 6 hens (no rooster) I get about 35 - 40 eggs per week so I make a lot of soufflés, quiches, cakes, ice creams...and give them and the rest of my eggs to neighbors. My current mix of shell colors are Light Brown, Dark Brown, Light Green, Light Blue and White. The eggs themselves are all the same. An amazing food source.
By the way, there's really no need to refrigerate eggs on a boat, as long as you turn them over once per day. (Flipping the whole carton counts) but most trawlers have plenty of room in the fridge.

200w.gif

I'm married to an Italian girl from North Jersey.

I'm a pastatarian.

Every meal must have macaroni and gravy.

Back
Top Bottom